SA Hockey

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Mo79, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Goggs

Goggs FHF Newbie

To reply to Robert's comment about dropping school sports... Have to say this would be a HUGE mistake. Sport at school in the UK was dropped as teachers weren't paid or recognised for facilitating it. Also schools sold off fields to generate income, marks became a priority and a fully rounded 'education' was dropped in favour of better grades, etc, etc. In my opinion, British sport suffered drastically as a result, as did general society when suddenly more kids were hanging out on the streets bored and with plenty of energy to cause trouble. OK, I'm not suggesting that the problems they are suffering in the UK with juvenile delinquency is all because school sports (and all other extra-curricular activities) were dropped, but I believe it has had a big contribution to the problem. However, the main point I was driving at was that British sport suffered when schools dropped sport and is only now on the road to recovery driven largely by the 2012 Olympics.

In South Africa I believe the impact to SA's international performance of dropping sport at school would be disastrous. In my experience, the only real drive for excellence is in school sport. There are exceptions, but I am talking in general. The competitiveness of inter-school competition drives funding for facilities and coaching staff, encourages the players to take it a lot more seriously and generally uplifts all aspects of the game. I find (again, I stress I am generalising!!!) that clubs do not strive for excellence and always have issues with funding. To sum up really, the focus at club level is social far more than the hockey itself. At clubs people seem to want to come down, play the game and then bugger off. So much effort is put into just keeping the club going that there is very little left over for anything else.

As for the current issues in the sport in SA... Well, if Gauteng is anything to go by... there seems to be a whole generation of players missing who should be in their mid to late twenties now and be the driving force in the game. What I see at all levels of the game in Gauteng is the bunch of players I grew up with, now between 30 and 45 who are providing the experience and backbone to the current teams. We need the top 3 leagues to be filled with young, enthusiastic players and allow us oldies to "gracefully" drop to the lower leagues where we can play competitive hockey for fun. I know of 3 teams who have deliberately 'thrown' the last 4 games of a season in order to avoid promotion (or simply refused promotion) because they are too old to go into the league above.There is a small group of 20-30 year olds and then (the truly exciting part!!!) a huge group of young guys coming through from the schools. We're on the cusp of change within the sport (hopefully) where the youngsters coming through are going to start dominating the game locally and driving it in the direction they want to go.

One thing we, as interested parties, need to do going forward is to stop making excuses and blaming the government, hockey associations, media, lack of funds, etc, etc and get on with changing the sport from the inside. I know that the HA's make some horrific choices and politics interferes more than we'd like it to but moaning about it is NOT going to change anything. We could all start by supporting & talking to the HA's more and they will slowly realise the players, umpires, etc actually DO care about the game they play every weekend. As an example, our umpire co-ordinator tried damn hard to arrange an end-of-season meal for the province's umpires last year but had to cancel due to lack of interest from his own umpires! Apathy like that will kill the game.

2. keeper11

keeper11 FHF Starter

hey

i am from perth, australia

my school como secondary college went on a hockey tour there and we got back on wednesday just been.

the girls team was undefeated with some huge scores, and us boys struggled in some games.
    we lost 4, drew 1 and won 3.

we faired ok seeing as it was the first time our team had played together before.

we went to joburg first for the st stithians hockey and rugby carnival and i think the boys finished 3rd beating the saints home team in the last game of the festival. the girls were on top.

after that we went to cape town and played and billoted with Paul Roos Gymnasium and Rondebosch(sorry about the spelling)

according to the billots after you finish school and 1st XI there is no were really to go from there until international etc.
    is there other comps filling in that age gap?

thanks
    kieron

3. linksey02

linksey02 FHF Newbie

At the moment, i hope things will start to look up for SA hockey. In cape town we recently started the PrincessPro series, similar to the EHL, obviously a downscale version of it, but its a start.

Giles Bonnette has just been announced as womens national team coach, which is a awesome. Hopefully the women's game will evolve.

Like many of you have said the game in SA seems to lack that international flair and coaching, but hopefully that will change. We have a bunch of talented players but many don't get or take the opportunity to play overseas to gain that international experience, and from what i've heard is that many players remain and carry on practicing their trade overseas because A- the get treated better and B- they get paid.

Lets hope that Giles and Gregg Clarke can turn around SA hockey and get us winning again, put the structures in place to make turn our team from being ordinary to extraordinary, long road ahead but the players have it in them, a decent monthly stipend wouldn't hurt either.

4. hockeyislife

hockeyislife FHF Newbie

At school level all the schools we play use the hit the ball up the field as hard as you can tactics, which gets you nowhere, if you use the controll and pass method which is more organized and effective you are more likely to score goals, the problem at school level with SA hockey is the style of play in most schools. :)

5. mr. Fila

mr. Fila FHF Newbie

HI
    I'M FROM INDIA & I'M LOOKING FOR CLUB IN SA. ANY ONE HELP ME. DROP ME E-MAIL ON deepakumr@hotmail.com

6. rehanahmed0

rehanahmed0 FHF Reserve Player

i cann't understand why SA withdraws from it's automatic qualification for the Olympics hockey event.Such decision will not favour SA hockey.

7. ToPpS

ToPpS FHF Regular Player

That is a "whole can of worms" you have opened there with that statement. SA Hockey has in the past been a predominantly "white" sport together with Rugby. Nowadays things have changed a lot with many very talented players of colour coming through to provincial and international levels. To help speed along "transformation" of sport in South Africa, a Quota system was put in place meaning each team had to have a certain number of coloured players. While such a system has had its merits debated many times, the government never actually improved "grass roots" hockey to help players of colour actually enter the system and receive the necessary coaching.

As mentioned in previous posts. Hockey in South Africa remains a non-professional sport. Even at a provincial level players actually have to bear the cost of attending the Inter-Provincial Tournaments (IPT) themselves (kit, travelling, accommodation, food, medical). Previously disadvantaged / players of colour possibly can still not afford to attend these inter-provincial tournaments and are therefore not selected for the national teams. Truthfully many white players never attend an IPT for the same reasons. I know that certain businesses are sponsoring a number of these players which is really great to see.

Coming back to the main focus. There is still a fair bit of "bad blood" between SAHA (South African Hockey Assoc.) and SASCOC (SOUTH AFRICAN SPORTS CONFEDERATION AND OLYMPIC COMMITTEE) from a number of years ago. South Africa had what many believe to be our strongest ever team back in 2000? however it was "All white". We had arguably the worlds best ever striker with Greg Nicol..... etc SOSCOC refused to send the team.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Even today despite being champions of Africa having beaten Egypt in the final, SASCOC have made the men's team jump through many hoops (FIH Champions Challenge 1 - where they had to win) in order to represent their country. A thought goes out to the Egyptian who have missed out on attending the Olympics as a result of this parody. There was even a comment by one minister saying that "they'll only send teams that have a realistic chance of winning a medal"! (don't quote me on that). If that was true, then regrettably, a large majority of the SA Olympic team would not be able to compete on the same basis.

In short politics and sport should never mix but unfortunately in South Africa, that is rarely the case. :(

But the Men have it all in there own hands at the moment in the final FIH Olympic qualifiers in Kakamigahara, Japan. Our best wishes and prayers are with the guys as they fight for the right to represent their country at the 2012 Olympics.

8. rehanahmed0

rehanahmed0 FHF Reserve Player

I still cann't understand what color has to do with Olympics berth.After winning the continental tournament SA qualified for Olympics,so why they didn't accept that and played that Olympics qualifier.

9. ToPpS

ToPpS FHF Regular Player

It has nothing to do with an Olympic berth. Even though it's been 18 years (1994) since Apartheid in South Africa ended, people still live in the ashes of the old Apartheid era.

10. ARB

ARB FHF Top Player

Thanks Topps for the insight, a very measured and interesting point well made.

11. ToPpS

ToPpS FHF Regular Player

Well I tried. I probably don't have all the facts but it is a strange decision by SASCOC to not send the hockey teams even though they have already qualified.

12. JiMMM

JiMMM FHF Regular Player

Probably never a truer sentance said on this forum, and I know from personal experiance.

I hope the men qualify, it's always good to watch the underdogs.

13. ToPpS

ToPpS FHF Regular Player

14. ToPpS

ToPpS FHF Regular Player

A summary of the team's journey, including many of the obstacles and challenges overcome along the way.

http://www.olympicgoal.net