SA Hockey

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Mo79, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Mo79

Mo79 FHF Staff

With both the men's and ladies finishing last,where is the development of the game heading?

Any ideas on how hockey is going to get back to a competitive level?

2. cynick

cynick FHF Regular Player

Mo79, I personally think that the biggest problem with SA hockey, is the lack of good international competition. The only time we play solid international sides is just before big tournaments. I'll be honest and say at the level I play at I see no development whatsoever, just a bunch of people playing for the love game, mostly not even worried about our performance at international level. It would be great to see some development, but I think all focus is on the 2010 Football world cup, so I doubt its going to get any better. :'(

Just to highlight what I'm saying read Chris Hibberts comments before the men's WC:

"South Africa World Cup Warm Up
    Chris Hibbert
    05-09-2006

hi all, just a quick mail to let you know how the things have been going over here in Münchengladbach.

We've been training pretty hard as always, staying in the Holiday Inn, which is ok, and the food is pretty good. Only ourselves, Pakistan, India and Argentina are staying in our Hotel. Most of the other sides are living at the Mercure Hotel, which i'm guessing is a grade above for all those 1st world countries :) Interesting fact and to give you an idea how close we are to Holland, is that both Holland and Spain are staying across the border in the Netherlands. Apparently its only a 25 minute drive to the stadium!!! I spoke to the spanish guys today, and the reason for doing it is that they don't like the hotels in MünchenG. And it also wouldn't be easy to focus in a busy tournament hotel.

The Stadium is great, except for the temporary stand they have built behind the one goalmouth which has been poorly designed. Not sure if the people in that stand will be able to see the D directly in front of them, as the stand is not steep enough. But at least the big TV screen is directly opposite them on the other side of the stadium.

Besides training hard, we also played New Zealand in a warm up game last thursday, and boy were we rusty! All the training and running we have been doing didn't make up for the lack of international hockey and we were beaten 7-0. It was a combination of poor marking, bad communication, defensive principles being tossed out the window, and then they were very clinical with their chances which didn't help! But its not an absolute mess, it is a fast learning curve and always was going to be for us. We play Spain tomorrow arvie, so hope we can improve drastically, as then the tournament starts on Wed. Our first game is holland on Thursday, and we watched them beat aussie 4-2 in a warm-up yesterday. They look pretty good :)

Alrighty, thats about all for now, chat again soon.

Chris"

3. Pittstop

Pittstop FHF Starter

One main problem is that for some good players they just don't have the ability to commit to hockey and a job at the same time, and since we all know that we're all amateurs, we need the job so it takes priority.

As you said Cynik the international matches are mainly at tournaments, and the next challenges are IPT.
    Otherwise HP sessions occur in each province, but we just need more exposure overseas.

Cheers

4. Mo79

Mo79 FHF Staff

Lack of international exposure is one element.Geographically (like aus &nzealand) your miles away from europe.SAfrica played india.Australia played matches at Reading, a t/ment in the USA,went to the champions trophy(were they were awful) went home and fixed the niggles.All of that costs money.Preparation at int level costs money.THe dutch & germans are poppin in december prior to the champions trophy(in argentina) in january.That ought to be good exposure.

In every country I've coached/visited for hockey reasons,players are making sacrifices(mainly in the workplace to represent their country).It is not a uniquely safrican problem.Scroll through a lot of club sides in the uk and you'll find the names of players who could still play for south africa.Why is being in england more important than representing safrica?Is the international experience worth the effort?That is the question.

Is it good enough to have relatively decent coaches at international level?What about at grass root level/school/club level/hp?Do these harsh international lessons filter down,so that its a collective education?
    Since schools in the southern hemisphere are the production lines,does the quality of school coaching stand up to inspection?

I was planning on going to Germany.A quick browse and you would have been aware of the limited accomodation in that area(m/gladbach).I knew dusseldorff would have been a better option(20-30min away).Decent town with good facilities(including a decent hockey club).Costs may have included transport but u may have gotten better (choice &)value in terms of your accomodation.T/ment hotels have no privacy.Too full,too much commotion and press.THe totality of these elements=DISTRACTION.

These are just my thoughts.I do appreciate the wheel of change is even slower at this level. :)

5. nadeem

nadeem FHF Regular Player

i agree with mo.i am baffled as much as he is about S.African hockey.in july 2003 i did a high performance course at Joburg,conducted by FIH.i guided S.Africa in beating S.Korea.the team was exellent,wonder what happened afterwards.i am visiting S.africa again next month.if somebody needs my help,i'm ready

nadeem

6. Spam

Spam FHF Regular Player

Hi nadeem,

where are you going in SA? just wondering as I live in Western province.

I do agree with you guys, the problem is that we dont play enough international matches and the stantard of the club hockey I think is not always good enough.

About the coaching at school hockey, well I am at Paul Roos Gimnasuim in Stellenbosch in Western Province and our hockey is booming the last 2 years. A new coach arrived last year for our first team. His name is Simon Organ. If no one know's him, well he has played for Whales and Great Britain, so he is quiet good.

Well, anyway, this year I am involved in the first team group and the level of coaching that he has brought into our school in the last 2 years has really shown. We beat Grey Bloemfontein this year 2-1, which is quiet good as they are one of the top5 ranked schools in the country. We ended 4th on the log. Coming back to the point, since Simon has joined are school program, are level of hockey has improved alot and I think some are players could still go far in the future. The stantard of international coaching he has brought with he has shown are school what can be done and must be done to perform at the highest level.

Hope you guys find this intersting, sorry for maybe wasting your time.

Cheers

Sp@m

7. nadeem

hi Spam,
    obviously landing at Joburg.will visit Pretoria,Durban,P.E,Capetown.u probably r living in Capetown(the view of the mountain,we always see from the cricket ground)will take a study tour before taking an assignment next season.if interested do let me know
    regards

nadeem

8. Spam

Spam FHF Regular Player

Hi nadeem,

just wondering, what are you going to do in SA precisely? Are you going to help with hockey development in SA? Hope you injoy your stay in SA!

Cheers

Sp@m

9. nadeem

hi sp@m

i am interested in coaching in S.A.i loved my last stay & would love to visit again.help me if u can.i'll be grateful.my visit is in that connection.

regards
    nadeem

10. Spam

Spam FHF Regular Player

Hi Nadeem,

I could find out if my school wants a coach, but the highest you will be able to coach at my school would be the 2nd team as we have a very good first team coach thats staying on for next seoson. Also, do you know that our seoson has just ended and only starts round about March again? At the moment only the first team is doing post seoson training.

By the way, my school is situated in the western province, in Stellenbosch, near Cape Town. Are you still interested? Just let me know!

Cheers

Sp@m

11. nadeem

hi sp@m, ya i am interested.in the meantime i can delay my departure till dec-jan.many thanks for the assistance.i assure u i'll not disappoint u

regards

nadeem

12. nadeem

i received an e-mail from my friend Aryana from Pretoria(we did the special coaching course of FIH at Joburg) & she has given some reasons for S.A decline in hockey.remmember they were last in both the world cups(men & women)one of the main reason was that there coaches do not get outside exposure to get max knowledge of TOTAL HOCKEY.they r still walking the beaten track.to me the S.Africans should encourage coaches from outside to get max benefit.

nadeem

13. Spam

Spam FHF Regular Player

Hi Nadeem,

Sorry to let you know, but I could not organise you some thing at my school. I am very sorry.

Anyway, to at to what you said, that is why my school has done so good these last 2 years, because we had a international coach from Great Britain coaching our first team. He really is a good coach and he just showed us that are standard is not the same as in Europe. He then taught us and showed us and drilled us, till we lifted our game to a much better standard!!! He did this so good, that he took our first team from something ranked in the twenties to being ranked 5th at the end of our season, which ended end of August this year.

Once again Nadeem, sorry!

Cheers

Sp@m

14. nadeem

fine.i m reaching joburg around 20 dec & will proceed to pretoria.if possible do give me ur tele no so i can contact u

nadeem

15. yankvans

yankvans FHF Starter

Hi,

I used to live in South African and coach in gauteng at both school level and club level, what i found that with Sa hockey is there is no structure in the game, i mean that i have my level 3 from the Welsh Hockey Union and the S.A. and southern gauteng would not regonise my coaching qualifications they told me i must do SA ones, i was not happy with this, i asked when the next caoching course in gauteng is going to be, they told me they cannot say becasue the person who used to do the course up and left and took all the materail with him so now they have nothin, they are busy writting one up (this was last year Jan) when i left this year they had not even started writting it..well i can go on with this but i rather leave it there

i have lots of e.g. but i rather not say any more

16. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan FHF Starter

i love the country and would learn more about your hockey in SA.
    who are the best internationals (men and women) at the moment in SA?

17. gerard

gerard FHF Regular Player

well count urself lucky.here in the pacific we want to play but lack the funds to go places.and even if we do there are australia,newzealand,argentina etc thats close by to us.we get such a hiding.but its a slow way to improve.i think you should be happy cause you play more then most countries.

18. KickTheKidS

KickTheKidS FHF Newbie

In my opinion the problem with sa hockey is the lack of support... Even at international level stadiums do not even half full. thus there is no money, thus the players cannot play only hockey. they have to do day jobs etc.

And also the lack of political support.

19. Robert

Robert FHF Starter

I think that hockey needs more exposure at developement level and to get that kind of exposure there must be facilities and coaches ready. Also, hockey should be shown on television so that there is a raised interest in the game. For all of these, there must be money.

IMO it's a pity that there is so much tampering and politics at national level about race etc. and disappointment when we lose when almost nothing is done for youngsters comming up. We will continue our current level of hockey untill school go-ers are developed.
    Maybe one day we should scrap school sport and have club sport only - this would help in many sports other than hockey. Most of Europe does that.

20. cr@zydude

cr@zydude FHF Newbie

School sport should be kept, but hockey should get more priority at SA schools. At my school people do come to 1st team games, but it i sno where near the number of people that come to rugby games.

Also hockey should be televised. Supersport showing one magazine program a month is not enough.