Indoor running 1 as a keeper

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Harry, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Harry

Harry FHF Regular Player

hey,

in a couple of weeks I think im playing indoor for the schools 1st XI where people will be dragflicking the ball from pc's. ive seen a lot about the keeper running 1 but not sure how to do this? is it running and smouthering or something? Can anyone give me any advice?

2. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

In general run as fast as you can stop when the shot is coming you do not want to get the ball between your legs because you are running, most of the times you should not slide if you are not within a meter or so away because they will flick it over you.

3. Harry

Harry FHF Regular Player

if I am getting to the ball quick enough should I be going down to meet the ball ? another question, sounds stupid but, how do I run without the hockey ball being shot through my legs

4. BB

BB FHF Top Player

You don't.

5. nickybee

nickybee FHF Top Player

Stupid question possibly, but only played outside. To avoid that ball between the legs bit^ do you run until that hit is just about to be taken (with time for getting set for it) then face is as normal?

6. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

Yep exactly however if you are quick you should be able to reach about 6m out which means you are about 3 meters away from the flicker when you are so close it is very hard to react so you more or less cover your area and try to react if the ball is being played sideways then you dive or move sideways to cover the play.

7. Harry

Harry FHF Regular Player

if I did get around 6m out and I know their shooting at goal do I want to stay on my feet then ?

8. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

Yes as there is still 3 meters left until you reach the circle and the flicker can play it over you/around you if you go down to early. However when you get close it is good to lower your hands because they will not be of any use up high if you are close enough to them. If you are not close enough then you should keep your hands high because most flickers go for the top corners.

9. Harry

Harry FHF Regular Player

ok thanks nic, really appreciate the help

10. DutchInAus

DutchInAus FHF Newbie

I might be able to give you some advice on running out in the penalty corner as I have played indoor for many seasons both in the Netherlands and now Australia.

Firstly, running out as fast as you can is essential, try and meet the ball at the top of the dee. Also, have your right hand next to your hip, which should bring your stick parallel to your right leg guard (hope that makes sense), increasing the saving surface on your right hand side. On the left hand side, put your left hand next to your padded shorts on the left side and make sure the full surface is showing, ensuring that the ball can't sneak through at hip height.

Secondly, it is extremely important to stay up right as long as you can. Stop running the moment the flicker is about to release the ball and try and make yourself as big as possible but also stay compact at the same time.

Thirdly, if you haven't made it close enough to the drag flicker and he has time to literally drag it around you, then is the only moment you should slide (legs together like a "block sliding" with your left hand above your legs), to try at prevent the flick from going around you.

Hope this makes sense and helps you a bit.

PS I am new on this forum not sure how it all works yet haha

AndyGaut likes this.