Rule Changes: Deletion of Rules 13.2.f and g

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by Hockeyfish, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Hockeyfish

Hockeyfish FHF All Time Great

Just for reference, the deleted rules 13.2.f and 13.2.g are below.

13 f) if the player taking the free hit is the next player to play the ball, the actions of taking the free hit and of next playing the ball must be two separate actions
    13 g) before another player of the team which took the free hit is allowed to play the ball, the ball must move at least 1 metre. The ball does not have to move 1 metre before the player taking the free hit may play the ball again.

My question is this; why are the two above rules deleted as a consequence of the introduction of direct aerials from free hits? I don't see the logic why their deletion is consequential to the introduction of the direct flick/scoop. Why not just add guidance to 13.2.f saying "If the player taking the free hit is flicking or scooping the ball, players need not be penalised for not taking two separate actions"?

By deleting the two rules above, players can now run off from a free hit with the ball on their stick in one continuous movement, which in principle is fine if that's what we're doing now, but at my level that will bring in some significant difference in management because we'd been specifically asked last year to ensure and clarify that two distinct touches were made when taking a self-pass.

It's one of those rules changes which has been snuck in and not enough has been highlighted about it. It's obvious that if you're scooping at a free hit, you can't do that in two movements. It's much less obvious that by deleting the two touches requirement, all other free hits are affected too, regardless of whether there's a direct scoop/flick.

2. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

This makes our lives easier as long as we make sure they make an attempt to stop the ball.

Last season the emphasis what make sure they make an attempt to stop the ball, and then two movements. Now it's just an attempt to stop the ball.

Less work and less moaning!! :D

3. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Well this year your manangement is simpler because you no longer need to look for that.

I think the logic of deleting them follows from the need for those rules in the first place:
    1) 'Two separate actions' was needed when certain actions, such as lifting the ball, wasn't allowed. The take and the lift needed to be visibly separate, and the stuff about 'not dribbling away' was a consequence of the rule rather than necessary for fairness. Now the lift is allowed the rule isn't required, so it is deleted. A secondary reason was that the first action made clear when-and-where it was taken, but 4 years of experience has shown that having the ball more-or-less stationary gives all the when-and-where we need, so again, no need for two separate actions.
    2) The 'move a metre' is left over from before the self-pass, and since there is no advantage to be gained from passing it less than a metre, and during recent seasons most umpires haven't seen any short passes from free hits, the requirement can be safely deleted.

As Trig says - with fewer side-issues to watch for, umpires have a better chance of spotting the important.

4. CardWaver

CardWaver FHF Reserve Player

I agree that with the emphasis on the new rules, deletion of these two clauses has been lost, I didn't realise this until I read the FIH briefing!
    CW

5. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

The deletion was mentioned in the letter FIH sent out about the changes; it is highlighted in the introduction to the new rule book; and it's mentioned in the Umpire Manager's Briefing. Not sure what else FIH could have to draw it to people's attention...?

6. CardWaver

CardWaver FHF Reserve Player

didn't explain myself very well, was trying to say in all the discussion f own goal scenarios it was over looked (ESP by me!) rather than not mentioned in dispatches... I agree it simplifies things,,just need to get the players to show me that have stopped it now !