Rule 5.1 Amendment : Has it changed anything for you?

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by Ballingdon, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

New 5.1 (guidance) Other periods and interval may be agreed by both teams except as specified in regulations for particular competitions.

If time expires just before an umpire would otherwise have made a decision, umpires are permitted to make that decision immediately after the end of the first period or the match.

If an incident arises immediately before the end of the first period (half) or the end of the match which requires review by the umpires, the review may be conducted even though time has subsequently been completed and signaled. The review should take place immediately and action taken to revert to and correct the situation as appropriate.

Previous:

Other periods and interval may be agreed by both teams except as specified in regulations or particular competitions.

If an incident arises immediately before the end of the first period (half) or the end of the match which requires review by the umpires, the review may be conducted even though time has subsequently been completed and signalled. The review should take place immediately and action taken to revert to and correct the situation if appropriate.

I read the amendment to rule 5.1 , quoted in new and old form above, and my initial reaction was "hey, this changes things . I might now give a PC / PS / after partner has blown the final whistle", and the defence will go ape, especially if there is a result-changing outcome. Probably would have not done so before(under old rules) as time was up and that's that.

Only the bit in bold is new.
    So
    1) Where has this addition come from, why has it been changed ?
    2) Will this change the way you manage 'last second' offences ?
    3) Will it be different if there is a defensive offence in the circle and you have played advantage vs. if you have not played advantage?
    4) How will you handle this with partner, as most umpires will have the supporting umpire blowing time (at least in open play situation)?

FIH have highlighted this change in the Briefing so I assume that it is important, and that maybe we havent been doing it as they had intended under the old rule. Certainly I can see that implementing this will be different at top level with video referral, central timing etc, to the bottom level. NPUA (UK) didn't mention it in their new guidance at
    http://www.npua.co.uk/downloads/2012NPUARuleGuidance_691.ppt

2. jayjay

jayjay FHF Legend

well, last season i witnessed two incidences where this new ruling would potentially have changed the outcome. they were both of the type "umpire saw a defending offence in the D, was not aware time was nearly up and played advantage, only for the final whistle to be blown before the attacking team could capitalise on the advantage". in both situations the UM pointed out that if we as umpires are aware of time being nearly up, we might want to blow the PC more quickly if there isnt a very very good chance for the attacking team to score off the potential advantage. this is sometimes made more difficult, as not all umpires signal advantage consistently.

we were told that the whistle for the PC has to start before the whistle signalling the end of the match. seeing as that has changed, i see some pressure being taken off the umpire. you should still blow for the PC, i think, unless there's a very good chance the ball's gonna end up in goal in the remaining second or so, but just because you are a bit slow on the whistle doesnt mean the attacking team is gonna lose out on a PC..

3. Will_R

Will_R FHF Newbie

I think it would still be best to do as jayjay said and be aware of the time remaining and manage the call/advantage, as in the past. I can see way to much arguing coming from the sideline and players, if you try and award a PC after the final horn has blown.

4. keely

keely FHF Legend

Playing advantage is not the situation 5.1 is trying to address. If you've decided to play advantage off a defensive foul that could have been a PC but you believe they have better opportunity to put the ball in the net, then you've made your decision. It may well be a crap decision as time is winding down, but it's a decision.

This amendment addresses situations where something happens that you don't have time to signal your decision. The ball hits a foot and as your whistle goes to your mouth, the hooter goes. Ball crosses the line and as your whistle goes to your mouth, the hooter goes. It's also for decisions that had you had time to look up and see your colleague's assistance, would have been given (or assistance given over the radio or via video review, at higher levels).

I understand that a lot of umpires believe our advantage is like rugby's where you wait to see if the better opportunity accrues. It isn't. When you wait to see what happens, you're simply not making a decision at all. You haven't looked ahead, you're not understanding the angles, you don't know where the players are, you've forgotten how much time is on the clock, you haven't assessed the skill and tendencies of the player with the ball, and you've put yourself in a position to either give "two bites at the cherry", or give advantage that really wasn't and frustrate players by making them work too hard in the meantime for the decision they should have had 3 seconds ago. Our game is too fast and too much happens to "wait and see".

5. jayjay

jayjay FHF Legend

i agree with you keely. i was not trying to say that playing advantage is waiting and seeing what happens. merely that smetimes, a PC can be the bigger advantage, especially if time is running out.
    i was also pointing out, however, that with some umpires it can be difficult to determine whether they were playing advantage but didnt signal for it (so in their head they were thinking "play on!" - it happens a lot at lower levels, in my experience), missed the offence altogether, or just hadnt gotten around to signalling anything yet.
    all that has to happen now is a rethinking from "oh well, guess i was too late to blow that one, the hooter's gone" to "oh, i saw sthg, let's check with my colleague, yes she agrees. there we go: PC". we just need to make sure this happens fairly quickly. cant have everyone walking off the pitch and the umpire calling them back for a PC after a brief chat with the supporting umpire :)