EHL 2017/2018 Round 1 Results

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by steve, Oct 9, 2017.

1. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    If you go through all of the results from EHL Round 1 you will think that they where mostly one sided games but in reality with the scoring system of 2 points for a field goal and 1 point for the PC the games where tighter then one would expect. Now, I did a bit of homework and went through the scores to see how the placings would have been if they kept the old scoring system and the results are basically the same. None of the placings and results where effected with the new scoring system. All it did was just making more complicated.

Personally I think it's good to try something different and I have to admit that so far EHL has always managed to improve the game (shootouts, self pass, temp susp for green cards, etc) but is this a little bit too much?

I wonder what @Simon_GK_Mason thinks about it? Was it easy to be the lead commentator with the changes? How did feel replacing Nick after so many years?

Friday 6 October 2017

M1 Pool B: HTC Uhlenhorst Mülheim (GER) 10 vs Cardiff & Met (WAL) 0
    M2 Pool C: Royal Racing Club de Bruxelles (BEL) 6 vs WKS Grunwald Poznan (POL) 2
    M3 Pool A: HC Bloemendaal (NED) 4 vs Wimbledon HC (ENG) 0
    M4 Pool D: Club Egara (ESP) 9 vs Bromac Kelburne HC (SCO) 1

Saturday 7 October 2017
    M5 10.15h Pool B: Dinamo Elektrostal (RUS) 11 vs Cardiff & Met (WAL) 2
    M6 12.30h Pool C: Banbridge HC (IRL) 0 vs WKS Grunwald Poznan (POL) 6
    M7 14.45h Pool A: SV Arminen (AUT) 0 vs Wimbledon HC (ENG) 9
    M8 17.00h Pool D: Saint Germain HC (FRA) 1 vs Bromac Kelburne HC (SCO) 0

Sunday 8 October 2017
    M9 09.30h Pool B: HTC Uhlenhorst Mülheim (GER) 3 vs Dinamo Elektrostal (RUS) 3
    M10 11.45h Pool C: Royal Racing Club de Bruxelles (BEL) 6 vs Banbridge HC (IRL) 2
    M11 14.00h Pool A: HC Bloemendaal (NED) 15 vs SV Arminen (AUT) 2
    M12 16.15h Pool D: Club Egara (ESP) 4 vs Saint Germain HC (FRA) 6

2. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

The scoring system is really annoying. Doesn't do any justice to the real strength differences between the teams and makes it a lot more confusing. The crazy PC variations, stopping it outside the 5 m line... it just doesn't work.
    It screws up the bonus-point system for losses with limited goal difference. In the regulation it is still stated as "loss with goal difference of no more than 2", this does not work with the 2-points for a field goal, as that is only 1 goal difference. (Not that the bonus point has ever made a difference in this phase of the competition, but still...)
    Just admit it is a mistake and get rid of it.

Other than that, didn't see much of the matches, but from what I saw it was a good atmosphere and good hockey.

3. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    Yep, I failed to realise that there was the goal difference bonus as well. Should have been bumped to 4 then I guess. I really wonder what's the feeling inside the EHF/EHL camp about how the scoring system went.

4. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Well... actually....

Had a quick look at the EHL twitter after @adam00's question in this post. Was shocked to find that Club Egara didn't qo through and had a look at the scoring and matches. This is what I found:
    2- point FG system:
    EGA-KEL 9-1
    SGR-KEL 1-0
    EGA-SGR 4-6
    Standings:
    SGR 10 7-4
    EGA 6 13-7

KEL 1 1-10
    1- point FG system
    EGA-KEL 5-1
    SGR-KEL 1-0
    EGA-SGR 3-3
    Standings:
    EGA 7 8-4
    SGR 7 4-3

KEL 1 1-6

So the scoring system did have an effect on the placings: Saint Germain progressed instead of Club Egara.

#4 Folmer, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  5. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    My maths always let me down :p

6. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

I had an observation in the Bloemandaal vs Wimbledon game. In a game of very few openings Wimbledon won a PC toward the end of the 4th quarter and were trailing 2-0 due to a 1st quarter FG from Bloemndaal.

Simon Mason queried during the setup if they would allow the ball to go 5m and try to convert a FG themselves. They did try, went reasonably close, but I can't help feeling that as hard as it was to win a PC in that particular game it was then no real advantage as they felt they couldn't use it in the traditional manner.
    Part of the solution to the penalty corner debate? I don't know but it felt harsh on Wimbledon IMO as despite the score being 2-0 they were of course only 1 actual goal down.

Overall, can't say I'm fan of it as aside from that I have no idea looking t the score line for games what actually happened.

Ravennghorde likes this.
  7. Simon_GK_Mason

Simon_GK_Mason FHF Legend

Hi Steve, two different questions so two answers. Regarding 'replacing' Nick, Nick was unwell and so he asked me to cover. It was my first opportunity to work in that lead role and I am very grateful to him for the opportunity. It is something different as I usually do the support role, but simply did my best whilst in pretty close comms with Nick anyway. He will be back in the box soon and I look forward to supporting him, so it was just temporary cover. Hopefully the lead role experience will enable me to do more of that at times in the future in other tournaments around the world as I enjoyed both the challenge and opportunity.
    Regarding the scoring, it is not difficult to follow as the scenarios that are created with different scores associated with them are pretty clear. The difficulty is articulating them when you are asked not to mention 'points' as we have goals in hockey. "So that is a 2 goal goal" etc sounds weird. I resorted to 'double' and 'puts 2 on the board' etc - feel free to comment on how that came acros by all means. Personally I am not sure we need it, there is the danger at PCs question which rumbles on and teams did try to turn a set-play into a field goal, to no avail at any stage. In fact in the whole HIL where this trial came from I think it only worked twice. So, personally not a fan as I don't think it adds anything and at a time where we need to keep the game simple to attract viewers (IMO) I don't know what it adds. However professionalism means that if it is adopted I will do my best to explain, articulate and occasionally c**k-up the situations that are created.

careeman likes this.
  8. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

God work Mace. Obviously wish Nick well but you did a good job
    Insightful as always and overlaid against a good general commentary.
    Having seen your setup this was no mean feat.

Agree about scoring system. Large part of me thinks if it ain't broke don't fix it

9. Hockeyfan95

Hockeyfan95 FHF Newbie

I really enjoyed your commentary! I liked how you got a little into the technical side of things like have more right hand in a reverse hit and other skills like that! Also saw you earlier this season score that flick against eg haha