Road to Beijing: No regrets for Dutchman Docherty

Discussion in '2008 Beijing Olympics' started by CoachTaff, Aug 2, 2008.

1. CoachTaff

CoachTaff FHF All Time Great

Former Scotland hockey international Laurence Docherty is sure that his decision to go Dutch will pay dividends at the Beijing Olympics. Read More...

[​IMG]

Now this is interesting don't you think with regards to the thread that has been attached here >>> GB or home Nations

2. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Fair play to him, he is going to be able to achieve much more with Holland, and playing in Hoofdklasse will help him both in terms of his hockey and money.

3. CoachTaff

Hey Craggsy, I totally agree... but as i posted in another thread Great Britain or England and Scotland? its a damn shame he had to go through those extremes to play a good standard of international hockey

4. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

At the moment hockeys profile is being raised throughout the world.

I do not think this will be the last as when a game becomes more professional the more likely this will occur due to the financial gains in other countries.

Just look at Rugby since it went professional, lots more money i know but when the money arrived and rules changed players changed countries.

Two Irish players have recently decided to take up the GB route in a bit to play at a higher standard. One is a full international and the other i think only played at U18 level so i think if he has English, Scottish or Welsh Grand Parents he can play for one of those countries immediately and thus be available for GB selection.

5. CoachTaff

You could be right there Grumpy

The Selection should be getting better with the Super League arriving but lets see what happens only time will tell.

6. Hargo14

Hargo14 FHF Regular Player

Hi guys. In this interview he talks about financial gain through joining a Dutch club. How much would he be getting paid over there just for playing club Hockey? Do you get paid in England/Scotland at all for club?

7. silky

silky FHF Regular Player

No idea on how much you get paid. Not everyone is professional, but they are really good with setting you up with cars, jobs and housing etc.

In England it is rare but not unheard of....

8. keely

keely FHF Legend