Rio 2016 squads announced.

Discussion in 'FIH Tournaments' started by Goalie64, Jun 28, 2016.

1. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

I think all sports that receive funding from UK Sport get set targets to achieve to justify the investment and secure similar for the next cycle.

I saw an article the other day that listed hockey as requiring 1 medal minimum from the max of 2 available to meet its target.
    Im sire this is the same requirement as set for London in 2012

UK Sport is targeting an even more successful Olympics at Rio than in 2012 so lots of sports have increased and quite stretching targets from what I saw.

2. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

And of course this is the core problem with the way UK Sport allots money as it biases against trad team sports. If medal numbers are your target, and you treat a hockey squad of 16 getting a medal as equivalent to an individual runner or cyclist, then you will put more money per head into the latter. This is particularly true of sports that can generate multiple medals from the same athlete.

3. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

This is right and they have pinned hopes on it being at leas a bronze for the ladies. You are right about the increase in medals (they are going for 1 more than 2012) but apparently there is always a significant drop off in medals for a host nation in the next Olympics so in reality it is a very ambitions target.

4. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

Yes according to Twitter Chris Grassick, who was playing in place of another injured player, ruptured his ACL.

5. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Grassick played in the first game v GER but not in either of the other two*, so I'm guessing he was injured in that first game. I hope that there were no other injuries vs BEL.

Update: Grassick was injured vs GER (report here) but Bobby Crutchley's post-tournament comments would seem to suggest that there were no other (serious?) injuries.

* https://tms.fih.ch/teams/3133#matches

#125 redumpire, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  6. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

Most likely..

7. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

Grassick isn't gong to Rio, still feel sorry for him though not a nice injury. I have heard rumours that there are a few players nursing injuries, Catlin being one. A few non selection players have played in the last tournament, is that because they are trying to rest and recover some of the players going to Rio. It wasn't their Rio squad and we managed to beat the Dutch. !!!!! Or was the Dutch team a different team. Sorry.

#127 DHM_78, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  8. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

Sorry can't see that happening , although it would be nice.

9. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Yeah, I know Grassick's not going; and you're right: that's not a nice injury.

The Dutch squad is here. I don't know how different that is from their Rio squad?

DHM_78 likes this.
  10. PlacidCasual

PlacidCasual FHF Top Player

Craig Boyne and DHM_78 like this.
  11. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity; Adidas HS1 XXtreme; Adidas TT10
    If I was to name a Dutch squad (and I'm not that good at doing it) certainly it would have a lot of those names in - Stockmann, Bakker, Verga, Hertzberger, Baart, Kemperman, Pruijser, van der Horst, Jonker and van der Weerden. Certainly looks strong to me.

12. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Not sure that there's much sign of anyone getting over-excited... ;)

DHM_78 likes this.
  13. Craig Boyne

Craig Boyne FHF All Time Great

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Tristan White has ruptured his PCL and is being replaced by Aran Zalewski. Devastating news for TW, but fantastic for Moose to get the call up. IMO he should have been selected in the original squad anyways

wacker likes this.
  14. PlacidCasual

PlacidCasual FHF Top Player

Gutting for White but Zaleweski has always been impressive when ever he's played for Oz.
    On the Oz squad, obviously Kieran Govers didn't make it back fully in time to be in contention for selection but @Craig Boyne do you think he will get back in given his injury history? or will the retirement of Dwyer give him a good shot at making it back in? after all it was great seeing the Govers brothers play together at the World League last year, not to mention Kieran's honesty against the Belgians.

15. Debby

Debby FHF Newbie

My favourites are Lily Owsley & Georgie Twigg. Both are young and energetic.
    Georgie was the youngest team member in London Olympics 2012 winning bronze, while Lily was named the FIH Rising Star of 2015.

16. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

Is it too early to discuss who Crutchley's replacement may be?

KJB32 and DHM_78 like this.
  17. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

A disappointing match. I hoped for a lot more, but poor play all round. Was it nerves?? But really they should be focused and trained. If it was football they would have already replaced. Hopefully next game will be better, fingers crossed and doubled crossed for our GB boys .

18. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

To be fair, I hadn't realised there were quarter finals this year so we are still in with a shout... But we should be more competitive against Belgium.

DHM_78 likes this.
  19. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

I don't think so now. They looked no where near tonight, well early hours of the morning. Disappointing for GB hockey.

20. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    Kieran was fit and not selected.

DHM_78 likes this.