Rio 2016 squads announced.

Discussion in 'FIH Tournaments' started by Goalie64, Jun 28, 2016.

1. LouisY

LouisY FHF Reserve Player

I'd like to think those guys are within that 7 though. Having played with and against a number of those guys I can attest to just how good they are. But thats just my opinion and I'm not a selector so who knows what will happen. Another of that group that should be selected imo is Rob Field from Holcombe, fantastic talent.

DHM_78 likes this.
  2. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

Previous Quotes from others
    I'd like to see Richie Dawson-Smith given a run in the National team but his being abroad in the middle of the Olympic cycle seems to have just ruled him out of contention period, at least from where I sit.

Hopefully he will be in the next cycle, along with Forsyth and a number of others (Creed/Goodfield etc).

There will be retirements after Rio and so younger players will get elevated. I would be disappointed if the cohort that includes Luke Taylor, Rob Farrington, Brendon Creed etc were not give a chance to stake claims.

That is six names mentioned, that people think should have a chance so I wonder who the 7 are????

3. FatForward

FatForward FHF Top Player

Seasons change - if Nick Bandurak ended the season as top scorer or perhaps Arjan Drayton-Chana you couldnt ignore that?

DHM_78 likes this.
  4. FatForward

Plus Jon Bleby has progressed his coaching through the junior ranks - if he were to adopt an elevated role post Rio he would engage with players he has developed. An arrangement that included Kwan would I think herald a younger fresher approach. It wouldn't fix the North / South issue and my personal belief is you need a team to represent GB (same as the Lions at rugby it's the right thing to have a fully representative side you have to look beyond stats).

DHM_78 likes this.
  5. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

You would hope Jon Bleby would , but will he, or has he? If only 7 have been invited for post Rio trials it doesn't look like he has!!!!

6. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

Now I come to think of it wasn't Gareth Andrew the leading scorer in the Prem one season when at Cannock? I believe he had a chance in the England setup but again didn't progress and don't remember there being outrage then.

7. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

I think people are putting way too much faith in the existing centralised coaching and leadership teams and indeed the previous generation. The current leadership alongside the single system hasn't produced any truly world class players in my opinion. Barry and Ash are certainly not products of it, the Irish players are not and same on the womens side.

Who from our current crop would genuinely start in a mens or ladies Aussie, Dutch or German National team at a world cup? and within that, the Germans have no central funding to speak of.

Most if not all the coaches are from Loughborough and coach "The Loughborough Way" which is Athlete first, hockey player second. The system looks at the clubs as a past time for the players to unwind and not a source of elite coaching and development and consequently the players don't see it as such. You only have to look at how many promising young players have to attend centalised JRPC/ Tier 1 training camps rather than play national Prem or cup fixtures to see the attitude of the system Vs the clubs.

8. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

I think the system has its merits, and it has raised the level of juniors certainly in my area (Northumberland). It is fine at the lower level and age groups but once players start getting older and better it solely relies on the coaching at that centre. If there was some sort of planning on what players should be doing, and what EHB wants to focus on would be nice. As a coach in the system I only found out what EHB want to focus at JRPC briefing, surely having these themes at all levels would be best?

9. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

Well said and so true. Do you think that is why our players Egerton, Bain, Bull, Dawson-Smith, and others go to Germany and Holland for hockey and play every week with quality hockey players. I know there is a bit of money involved but it is not massive. We have a mass exit 'post Rio' of our senior players and experience players going to Europe they are not wanting to stay in their own country to play, with 3 going to Rotterdam and Egerton already there next season, it just shows there is something wrong with our system. As you say Germany produce amazing players and they are not centralised and they all play all over Germany for their clubs.

10. Tiddles

Tiddles FHF Reserve Player

Out of curiosity anybody know how many non-English players just played for the GB U23 team?

11. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

I think a couple of the welsh boys did but not sure.

12. two goal debut

two goal debut FHF Starter

GB Hockey's Twitter feed retweeted a Wales Hockey piece:-

"Julie Whiting, Dan Kyriakides, Ben Francis and Ioan Wall all made their Great Britain debuts as part of the Under 23 squad at the tournament"

"Alongside the players, there was further recognition of the fine work being done by Wales performance staff with a number being invited to be part of the Great Britain set up for the tournament, with Zak Jones and Paul Gannon being appointed as GB Men’s U23 Coach and Team Manager respectively"

Ravennghorde and DHM_78 like this.
  13. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

Agree.

A few thoughts:
    1. There are a fair few clubs who use their junior sections as cash cows to power their first teams.
    2. Even where they have a better coach for players showing talent, a lot of players are treated as "also rans" supervised in play by a less skilled coach / parent. This reduces pool.
    3. There are also a fair few clubs who struggle to have enough quality coaches to cover their adult teams never mind give the sort of support elite player development may need. I don't think we generally have enough coaches across Eng (not sure about other parts of GB) for what we might ideally like to be able to do, so I do find it quite hard to be hugely critical of those who do find the time when I don't see anything obvious to replace them with.
    4. With those points taken onboard, and whilst I agree with much of what you say, the amount of players who are being "forced" into single system rather than playing NL Prem (!) is a tiny, tiny minority. However, it is clear that there is fixture congestion and that a number of single system activities clashes with usual club youth training sessions, which in turn clash with (non-single system) youth competitions and school competitions. There is much that could be done to improve that...one unpopular option of course would be to move the youth training to a different day / separate off from lower youth.
    5. In the (tiny) amount of single system coaching I've done, certainly at the lower level, what I see is players having to adjust some of the habits they have got into with club hockey which don't work when surrounded by higher quality players. E.g. players used to having the time to more touches before being under pressure because they are used to being the fastest; players happy to dribble into danger because they know they can get out again; etc.
    6. In my personal view, a huge part of player development is done in your own time. I.e. in neither school, club nor single system. You can put in way more hours in your back garden / living room than you will ever get on pitch. How much guidance is out there for a player to practice on their own? Not everyone has a hockey player parent willing to work with them. Coaching, particularly at early age, could include tips for home drills. I'd like to see more of that - a bad word for kids perhaps but optional homework? Then coaching becomes more about guiding that development rather than having to do all the development.
    Maybe I'm being an optimist as ever, but I do think we should be thinking on how we would like things to improve rather than highlighting what we don't like.

James Havlin likes this.
  14. FatForward

Some good points. I have to say I had to drag my son of of the warm up cage when he was young and he learnt some great skills over many hours of repetitive practice.

15. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Exactly the same for myself and all my friends growing up and how it has been at every hockey playing school I've been to in N.I. since (there appears to be less of a live and breathe hockey ethos at some schools/clubs.....). I'm certainly not surprised there is an over representation in the GB side of N.I. players.

Being involved at a club in Eng with one of the strongest junior sections in the country it's chalk and cheese comparing N.I. to Eng. Hundreds of kids each week and we have produced some GB players along the way but overall 90%+ of all the kids who go through the system do as little as possible and if they can get away with turning up late or missing training sessions with no fear of getting dropped - they will.

Post 2012 when the Loughborough cartel took over most of the important coaches positions we lamented the fact that they hadn't gone outside the UK for a change of direction.

Anyway Seive got it spot on - "we" haven't produced a world class player in years and those we have produced were polished in Europe, not playing 2nd rate hockey in NL.

DHM_78 likes this.
  16. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

Rumour has it that 'age profile ' was given to some of the players that have been discarded from the development programme, especially when you think of the age of some of our GB team when they started the central programme 4 years ago I can't understand why they have not given them the chance to show themselves in the national side. What we saw in the Champions Trophy is what we have got for Rio, from their performance there I don' t think it is good enough to bring back a medal. I hope I am wrong.

17. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

Rumors circulating of injuries to a number of high profile GB mens players following the champions trophy and recent tournament in Germany so will be interesting to see if there are any last minute additions to the squad.

Quite why you play a tournament in Germany 3 weeks out from a major tournament I don't know but then I'm not a physiologist.

DHM_78 likes this.
  18. Theory

Theory FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Magnum Lolly
    Well that's a bit of a shit.

The match report for the Belgium game said there had been an injury.

DHM_78 likes this.
  19. DHM_78

DHM_78 FHF Starter

Yes I had heard that rumour too. It will be interesting to see what Bobby Crutchley and his merry men will do. I can't see they have really got many options now. I still do believe our GB team haven't got the best players available, as they haven't looked outside their little box and over the last few years have not looked further than the central squad. Look at the Irish team, they are using many players that have played seasons in Europe. Is Ireland going to be another 'Wales' in the olympics. Getting further with just pure determination and team work and with very little money being thrown at them. Another rumour I have heard is that a medal is required from either the men or women or there will be no funding for the next Olympics. Then it will be who can afford to play hockey in the national squad.

20. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

Holcombe to represent GB in 2020!?

DHM_78 likes this.