Referee signals

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by hockey101, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

All sounds good - will be interested to see, as I suspect quite a few others will too - thanks in advance :)

2. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

I checked the videos of the signals on UmpireHockey.com and they're complete and where not perfect, a link to a short critique is provided. So, while I'm looking forward to the pdf with the umpire photos but, uh, I can't imagine still images (photos or drawings) are going to be as helpful a tool as video.

--Cris

3. keely

keely FHF Legend

Sorry, they're not complete. You're missing all the timing signals (starting, stopping, 1 and 2 minutes remaining), 5m distance, feet, and the most important one, a goal.

Advancing must be a local term and is simply obstruction everywhere else in the world. This signal should be designated as NFHS as it does not appear in the FIH Rule Book.

4. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

have attached the file below as used by HA

aussieump

[attachment deleted by admin]

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

Thanks aussieump, much appreciated.

6. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Ditto - very useful.

7. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

We've localized "kick" to be advancing. So, we might "advance" the ball by deflecting it up into our belly, but we wouldn't "kick" it with our belly. Thanks for listing what's missing. That's helpful.

I think videos do a better job of addressing the original post in this thread. I'll have to get busy to complete the list.

8. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

I've noticed that in the HA signals pdf file, the free hit with the point to the sideline is still used. The rulebook states:

Ball out of play :
    a ball out of play over the side-line : indicate the direction with one arm raised horizontally

So the IHF doesn't specify pointing down to the ground with the other arm as a standard signal, just the raised arm in the direction of play. H'mm, is it only in Oz, or do other countries still use this (old?) signal?

9. aussieump

FHF Moderator

Neo

we only use the one arm for the signal, the ponting to the ground is only used to clarify you want the ball on the side line. didn't want to use 2 graphics for this, the umps are coached to use direction first then the ground usage signal if needed. works well if the ball is very near the sidlelines and play is occuring close to the lines and the ball rolls out. some players may want the ball inside for a fh but it is actually a sideline ball

10. David_Underdown

David_Underdown FHF Regular Player

I certainly hadn't noticed the change, so i've been doing it out of habit. It can be useful if for example an otherwise non-advantageous foot deflects the ball over the sideline, some players migth still be expecting a free hit for the foot, whereas I'm often more liely to be giving the sideline ball in that situation.

11. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I don't think there's any harm in doing it, and it's more explicit, as you say, in situations of accidental feet, for example.

I didn't notice a signal for 'Up 10'...did I miss it, or isn't that an official signal?

It would be useful too, IMO, to have the 'explanatory ' signals shown, eg obstruction, 3rd Party, dangerous play.

Should there not be official signals for all types of offence, so that decisions can be explained 'non-verbally'... this could avoid some arguments and help with 'other language speakers'!

12. aussieump

FHF Moderator

Not all signals are demonstrated as this guide is aimed for community andbeginner umpire levels.

Umpires are coached to develop all skills and all signals as they develop the base skills.

Should have also said we teach them to signal when necessary. eg when he direction of a sideline hit is needed to be shown.

13. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

14. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Thanks, neo

15. benchie

benchie FHF Newbie

Thanks Aussieump

used the signals info on the weekend, worked well much appreciated

thanks

16. Kirk

Kirk FHF Regular Player

The vertically raised arm with closed fist which indicates that a free hit is too be progressed up ten meters in a official signal and is listed in the rule book - not sure exactly.... have a feeling its under rule 4.6 under section 4 or 5 (i know its called umpiring signals, obviously) in the umpiring section of the rule book... but don't quote me :p

17. keely

keely FHF Legend

4.6(c), in the back section entitled "Umpiring."

18. g9

g9 FHF Legend

OK, not exactly on topic, but I've just passed my certification to umpire (nay, never that 'ref' word!) at our state high school level...so yeah for me! Only screwed up one call that I can think of tonight in my practical, but certainly carried off the mistake with confidence! So thanks to the umps on here for any and all advice gleaned from this board...there are those of us reading and learning (even if it's how to avoid acrimony)!

19. keely

keely FHF Legend

Congrats, g9, we're all very proud. :) <clap clap clap>

20. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

congratulations! :yes: :)