Receiving a ball on the sideline considered out of bounds?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by Radams, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Radams

Radams FHF Newbie

Scenario: defensive 16 on left side. Play is switched around the back. Right back defender is running to sideline between 25m and half way.

I jog backwards and run off the sideline momentarily and re-enter play immediately hugging the sideline.

Time is stopped and the umpire firmly tells me this is forbidden.

I gained no distance from being outside the field of play.

I believed the umpire was completely wrong. But didn't argue the point.

Where: I was playing a league final in Austria.

Thread Objective: I want to understand if the umpire was right or how he may have interpreted my actions. I have never heard of this being an issue in this location on the field.

Disclaimer: i have read another post here on the topic. It refers to defensive & attacking plays in the 25 and the D.

About me: played UK hockey for 15years, umpired neutral pool for 3 years. Now playing in Austria.

2. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Unless there's some local rule, doesn't seem you did anything wrong!

Perhaps you could have asked the umpire after the game?

KJB32 and Radams like this.
  3. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

The rules of hockey do not prevent players from leaving the field of play, in fact, rule 2.4 guidance makes it clear that
    while section Field and field equipment rule 1.1 guidance explicitly require all fences to be at a notable distance from any exterior line on the field, the space between field and fence being unobstructed with a significant amount of continuation from the playing surface. This would strongly imply that players are given space to exit the field as part of play, and that they may do so when appropriate.

The only restrictions on exiting the field are concerning substitution or purposes out of play, and going behind either goal or entering the goal you are attacking. Since none of these applies at all, there is nothing here to even comment on, let alone stop time for.

4. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Possible umpire is confusing the rules on substitutes entering the field around the halfway line with random players (or thought you were subbing) - going over the sideline is perfectly legal, I'd have no issue with a player even running along briefly outside the pitch to avoid a slip/slide etc

5. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

As @Nij says, the umpire seems to have misread 2.4, which applies to leaving the field for a non-playing reason - treatment of injury, refreshment, change equipment - extending it to cover the tactical step onto the surround, usually to position for a fair tackle.

On that: I'm always curious when, in the final minute of a match, the winning team holds the ball in a corner, with opponents at their back puzzling how to get the ball moving into open play. Why not step round, outside the corner? They are then positioned for a fair tackle, to put the ball into play, onto the ball-holder's foot, or out of play off the ball-holder and that way regain possession. I suspect they don't only because it feels so wrong that they assume it's forbidden. I don't think it is.

Stephen65 and Ravennghorde like this.
  6. CardWaver

CardWaver FHF Reserve Player

Made up rule.... confusing with other sports... you are perfectly at will to stop and control a ball standing wholly off pitch if ball stays on it, so you can certainly leave pitch.....the only slight nuance here is the umpire is making up imaginary rules, its normally players !

7. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

Did the umpire say anything about outside the filed of play was lava?

Radams likes this.
  8. lsfreaks

lsfreaks FHF Starter

Only place that I know of that is "out of bounce" is behind the Opposition Goals .... Would be interesting playing on the left and dibbling down the line and stepping over the line :rolleyes:

Ravennghorde likes this.
  9. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Definitely not allowed...in the NFL. :D

10. Radams

Radams FHF Newbie

Thanks everyone. Perfectly clear now!

The TD and subs were on the opposite side. I was on the 'crowd' side o_O.

He might have mentioned something about lava. I must have missed it between figuring out 'what time was stopped for' and holding my tongue!

@Diligent & @Nij - thanks for the official clarifications and the additional tackling position tip - very useful!

11. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

* out of bounds. Outside of the boundaries within which legitimate play can occur.

redumpire likes this.
  12. Ole Einarsson

Ole Einarsson FHF Newbie

Haha good one! Yeah, it shouldn't be considered out of bounds.