questions

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by hcpagan, Nov 29, 2016.

1. hcpagan

hcpagan FHF Newbie

hi

so i just played in a indoor tournament...in france... my team (not i) are beginners and i felt we were getting penalised alot for our lack of skill... they were getting quite disappointed with themselves...so i m here to clear up a few myths that went on...

1. umpire in the way of play....i told my players they are allowed to ask the umpires to move without fear of reprisal.

2. like i said my team are complete newbies (new team and we re in france enough said) i said that generally umpires won't punish lack of skill and will allow play to continue...but each time the ball raised 1 cm off the ground (without an opposing player near) we had a fhd....

3. we managed to score a goal but it went over the line 2 seconds after the buzzer...it had been hit well before? i m not sure of the right decision...

4. if i m dribble the ball and the defender makes not effort to move...essentially screening is this allowed....screening but with a stick on the floor? is it up to me to find another route? other wise i will be penalised for pushing them back using the ball... (i m a strong person)...

5. attacker has the ball dribbles then turns with backside in your face...essentially protecting / shielding the ball ..i have no way of getting the ball...they can do this?

6. why is it ok to flick the ball really hard so it arrives in the goal at head height through a packed circle? like several of my players had to duck...not really promoting the sport to newbies imo...is that ok?

anyway we had fun...

check us out on fb
    hockeyclubpagan....

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Hi @hcpagan

I'd answer as follows:

1. Yes they are allowed to ask, as long as they do not ask rudely.

2. That sounds wrong to me. A very small raise should not be penalised unless it disadvantages the opponent. Unfortunately indoor umpires are often very keen to show they know the rules by blowing every raise.

3. That is not a goal. It must cross the line before the buzzer sounds (unless it is during a PC which can continue after the buzzer).

4. Yes he can stand still. You have to find a way around him. If you 'drive through' an opponent you will definitely be penalised and probably even carded.

5. No they can't - that is obstruction, provided that you are trying to play the ball.

6. That is generally OK indoor as long as it is a shot at goal. Sometimes, some umpires will penalise the attacker for dangerous play, especially at lower levels, but generally it is allowed.

J'éspère que mes responses sont utiles...

Paul Watts likes this.
  3. hcpagan

hcpagan FHF Newbie

cheers...

this forum is fab... as we are a very small sport here its often quite hard to get feedback....

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Krebsy likes this.
  4. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

In that case they don't know the rules very well...
    /My emphasis

So a raise up to 10 cm is allowed, as long as no opposition player is disadvantaged.

5. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Agreed.

6. hcpagan

hcpagan FHF Newbie

yeah i agree too...i thought this was true about this rule... by god its exasperating to know its a bad call....

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk