Question regarding rule 13.2 Indoor

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by Living_in_Belgium, Dec 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Living_in_Belgium

Living_in_Belgium FHF Starter

We are having a discussion amongst colleagues about the change in rule 13.2.e, specifically the provision about playing the ball off the side-board.

from a free push awarded to the attack within the half of the pitch they are attacking, the ball must not be played into the circle until it has travelled at least 3 metres, not necessarily in a single direction, or has been touched by a defending player. The ball may also be played into the circle off the side-boards, providing that it has travelled at least 3 metres before rebounding off them.

What if a player, standing 1.5m from the side-board, takes the FHA by first playing the ball against the side-board in such a way that it bounces back to him/herself (not having moved any closer to the side-board) and then playing it into the circle? Is this allowed?

Some of my colleagues say this is not allowed, as the ball should travel 3m before rebounding off the side-board, and it only has traveled 1.5m.

Others think the provision of the changed rule only applies when the ball is played straight into the circle off the side-board. Which is not the case here, as the player recovers the ball, which will have traveled 3m in total, before playing it into the circle.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. LeClou

LeClou FHF Starter

That should be allowed because you don't play the ball into the circle off the side-board. You just played the ball into the circle after it travelled 3m, nothing wrong with that in my opinion. That's how I would interpret this rule.

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Great question @Living_in_Belgium!

In my opinion, you need to read this sentence as a whole, rather than picking bits of it out: "The ball may also be played into the circle off the side-boards, providing that it has travelled at least 3 metres before rebounding off them." In other words, the prohibition is on the ball being played into the circle off the side-boards before it has travelled 3 metres and NOT on the being played into the side-boards at all before it has travelled the requisite 3 metres.

So, I think that the player is allowed to do as you suggest in your OP, but will ask a few questions just to be clear...

Mick Mason likes this.
  4. redumpire

FHF Moderator

...I have asked the question and have been told that the interpretation that @LeClou and I have put forward is correct. Phew!

LeClou, Paul Watts and Martindk like this.
  5. Living_in_Belgium

Living_in_Belgium FHF Starter

Thanks! Now off to convince my colleagues...

6. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

In Hampshire we have had regular Monday evening indoor for a few months to 2017 rules, and this has been the biggest surprise to players. But they learn quickly, and in the evening it only takes one, maybe 2, bounces straight off the boards for everyone to have learnt it.

7. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Think of the sideboard as another attacking player. As long as ball has moved 3m before the last player touches it on the way to the circle, then it's fine. play it 1.5m to board, 1.5m back to you, then goes to circle, it's gone 3m, that's fine. Play it 1.5m into board and it goes into circle, it's only gone 1.5m before the last 'player' touched it, that's FHD (FPD?).

Gotta pedant, sorry. I read the rule as distance played + travel to sideboard needs to be 3m. I read your sentence as it must go 3m before playing it towards sideboard if it goes straight into circle from there.

So if you take the free, dribble it 2m, then push it into board from 1m away, then I think the rule says that's fine, the ball has travelled 3m before it hits the board. But I think your sentence says it's not fine, because you're playing it off the board & into circle after it's travelled only 2m, less than the 3m required.

LeClou likes this.
  8. redumpire

FHF Moderator

I agree with this 100%. Sorry if my earlier post was unclear.

9. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

I think the rule as it is written needs tidying up. The use of the word "travel" can cause confusion if you read it in the same way as the outdoor rule in the 23m area.

With the outdoor game the ball has to "travel" 5m before it can be played into the circle, we all know if you play the ball into the circle in the outdoor game before it has been dribbled 5m (or touched by another) it is a foul. So, with the indoor game; the ball has to travel 3m before it goes off the boards into the circle, does this mean be dribbled or pushed 3m?

It seems the interpretation is as has been said above, take the boards as a player and make sure the ball has either been pushed or dribbled at least 3m or 1.5m into then back out of the boards, then it can go into the circle.

It's a small thing but did cause a few comments at the weekend!

AJF likes this.