Question regarding GK substitutions

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by Living_in_Belgium, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Living_in_Belgium

Living_in_Belgium FHF Starter

The rules state GKs can only be substituted twice (by a player or PWGKP, substitution by a fully kitted GK does not count towards this) with one further substition in case of injury.

How/when do you count this GK substitution? When the GK comes off the pitch, or when he/she comes back on? I thought the latter, colleagues think the first.

So what happens if a team starts the game with a PWGKP which they substitute for a GK after 3m? In my colleagues' opinion, this does not count towards the 2 GK substitutions, because no GK came off the pitch. In my opinion this is a first substition, as it would give this team an unfair advantage not to do so, and they only have one substitution left, barring injury.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

If in doubt, the rulebook usually contains the answer, this is rule 2.3 b with the relevant words highlighted.

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

What @AJF said. The rules are very clear on this.

In the English men's Super 6s (indoor) final today East Grinstead were chasing the game against Surbiton. They took their GK off to play a PWGKP. That was their first GK substitution. They then conceded a PS so subbed the GK back on. As soon as the PS was scored they brought him off again. That's the second GK substitution off the pitch. However, had they wanted, they could have sent him back on again as the rule clearly limits the number of times a GK is substituted off the pitch to two. Had he have gone back on he could not have been subbed off for a third time.

Hope that helps?

Michael Byrne likes this.
  4. Living_in_Belgium

Living_in_Belgium FHF Starter

Thanks for your replies. That makes it clear!

redumpire likes this.
  5. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

Although he/she could come off to be replaced by another GK, yeah?

redumpire likes this.
  6. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

No. Under the rule, which @AJF quoted and @redumpire gave an example, the team has used their allowance of twice taking off a keeper. The GK in play must stay there until the game ends.

7. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

No, @Mick Mason is absolutely right. A GK for GK switch does not count towards the "2 off" rule:

Paul Watts, Mick Mason and AJF like this.
  8. Porter

Porter FHF Top Player

In fact, just to amplify @redumpire post, as per the guidance to Rule 2.3b: -
    Substitutions between goalkeepers (i.e. those wearing full protective equipment) do not count towards the total number of allowed substitutions off the pitch)

Mick Mason and redumpire like this.
  9. Gilly

Gilly FHF Legend

Crikey! Looks like we have a rare occasion of "ageement" threatening to break out?!

Paul Watts likes this.
  10. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

:oops: Whoops! My excuse: we don't get many GK swaps in our local indoor leagues, so I haven't been tested on that rule.

:D Still, I have again learned something in this Forum. (Douglas Adams - "You know that thing you just did...")

Paul Watts and redumpire like this.