Question r.e Rule 9.10 - Ball in the air after shot/save/defensive deflection

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by Krebsy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

Good morning,
    After a break of about 1000 years I am about to play indoor hockey again.
    My first recourse was to read the rules.
    This is causing me some question:

9,10: Players must not play the ball when it is in the air except that a player from the team which did not put the ball in the air may stop it.
    If the ball is in the air as a result of a legitimate shot at goal which has rebounded from the 27 goalkeeper, defender or from the goal-post or cross-bar, the ball may be stopped by a player of either team.

Does this mean that if a shot comes in and deflects off a GK or a defender, that the deflection can be to any height and not be ruled a foul under rule 9.9: (Obviously safety etc. taken into consideration)
    Players must not raise the ball off the pitch except for a shot at goal.
    It is not an offence if the ball rises unintentionally off the pitch by less than 100 mm unless an opponent is within playing distance of the ball.

My interpretation is that it gives understanding that after a shot the ball can be deflected up as well as down, and provided it is safe, it is game on.

Is this how it is understood by others?

Thanks,

2. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

The way it was explained to me:
    - A low shot is to be saved low
    - A high shot can be saved to any height, as long as it is not dangerous
    There are some who say the GK must deflect down, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

#2 Folmer, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Krebsy likes this.
  3. Krebsy

Thanks @Folmer for replying. I am glad to see that your interpretation is not a million miles from mine.

To take it one step further then; if a shot is low but on a rising trajectory, it is perfectly reasonable that it will come "up" off the pads/stick of a defending team player. For instance a GK' kickers are often slightly inclined upwards and it is not unknown for the ball to rebound higher off of them than the ball originally hit it.
    Would this be unacceptable?

Re. GK being required to deflect down, I cannot see anything that explicitly says this, but I, like you, am aware that there is a doctrine to that effect which is not uncommon.
    I wonder; how widely is that doctrine practiced?

4. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

You can make any save from a lifted ball anyway you can, as long as it does not add any danger to the play.

So, if the ball has sufficient pace; and the save goes anywhere behind you, as long as it does not hit anyone behind you then it's fine.

If the lifted ball hits you and rebounds anywhere, that is also OK.

If the lifted ball comes towards you and you kick or palm it forward, adding pace, then you are very much looking like at a PC.

AJF and Krebsy like this.
  5. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

Deflected into a body or making someone legitimately duck or avoid and you are giving up a foul probably a PC. If you deflect it up near yourself, be careful not to swipe it away out of the air, as you are only allowed to stop a ball that is in the air, not swipe at it, whether GK or field player

Krebsy likes this.
  6. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

@Krebsy, where are you playing?

7. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

9,10: Players must not play the ball when it is in the air except that a player from the team which did not put the ball in the air may stop it.
    If the ball is in the air as a result of a legitimate shot at goal which has rebounded from the 27 goalkeeper, defender or from the goal-post or cross-bar, the ball may be stopped by a player of either team.

Does this mean you can stop the ball whilst in the air if it rebounds off the goalkeeper... previously I've always played that you have to wait for it to bounce/settle?

8. Krebsy

I was playing a training match with my ladies 1st team prior to the National League starting this weekend.
    It wasn't an official match, but I wanted to make sure I was abreast of the rules before getting started.

Are you umpiring any at the moment @Trig
    It was 2008 when I last played indoor in Scottish National 1 - i hadn't totally forgotten how much I loved it but I did get an incredible feeling of joy as soon as I got started. Indoor hockey is amazing.

9. Krebsy

Thanks for the responses folks. It's much appreciated.

10. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

Yup just to echo @Trig a simple way to look at it is:
    • if it's a rebound then unless it is dangerously played into the body of an attacker, it can go anywhere.
    • If you play it forcefully (ie a kick), especially if the shot is flat, and you lift it past an opponent (ie over their stick), that is no longer a deflection and you're looking at a PC. If this action puts it away from everyone then I'd let it go unless it was ridiculous.

11. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

I'm at Div 2 South Canterbury this weekend!

12. Krebsy

I may go to watch the women's Division 1 at UWE this weekend and cheer on Firebrands if my non-hockey-playing fiancee allows me...

13. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

Yep, reach out and stall the ball so it drops to the ground and play on (as long as the ball is below shoulder height).

14. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

What's shoulder height got to do with anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

"
    9.10 Players must not play the ball when it is in the air except that a player from the team which did not put the ball in the air may stop it.
    If the ball is in the air as a result of a legitimate shot at goal which has rebounded from the goalkeeper, defender or from the goal-post or cross-bar, the ball may be stopped by a player of either team.
    "

"
    9.7 Players must not play the ball with any part of the stick when the ball is above shoulder height except that defenders are permitted to use the stick to stop or deflect a shot at goal at any height.
    When saving a shot at goal, a defender must not be penalised if their stick is not motionless or is travelling towards the ball while attempting to stop or deflect the shot. Only if the ball is genuinely hit and a goal is prevented should a penalty stroke be awarded.
    If a defender attempts to stop or deflect a ball travelling towards the goal which will actually miss the goal, any use of the stick above the shoulder must be penalised by a penalty corner and not a penalty stroke.
    If dangerous play results after a legitimate stop or deflection, a penalty corner must be awarded.