PS for ball hitting foot after SC shot

Discussion in 'PS and Goalkeeping' started by 67726, May 28, 2008.

1. 67726

67726 FHF Regular Player

My A grade team played on Monday night, there was a SC against us & the shot a goal beat the GK, the defender on the post trapped it & the ball rolled onto her foot the ump called a PS :angry: I have tried to tell her that the rule is:
    A penalty stroke is awarded:
    a for an offence by a defender in the circle which prevents the probable scoring of a goal
    b for an intentional offence in the circle by a defender against an opponent who has possession of the ball or an opportunity to play the ball
    c for defenders persistently crossing over the
    Probable is the important word, the ball could have end up any were.
    What are your thoughts?
    I have tried to us the search function but with no luck, just like I did with my last post.

2. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

i dont think we have covered this topic before, but the main things to consider are; how quickly the ball was moving, how close they were to the goal, what the chance of the player recovering the ball where. so yeah in short, would the ball have made it into the net unhindered? Without being there to see it i would say that the umpire judged that the defender wouldnt have regathered the ball and it would have gone in the net

3. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

may need some addiitoal info, but most likely the fact the ball struck the defenders foot on the line and inside the post the umpire is correct in giving a PS, but having said this if you have more info as to what happend with the ball after the trap, eg did the ball go forward etc may shed some light.

your answer to the rule also provided you with your answer

a for an offence by a defender in the circle which prevents the probable scoring of a goal

4. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

If the ball was going into the net and the defender stopped it with their foot (irrespective of the action that caused it to hit their foot) yes a PS is the correct decision. From your description you say that the ball rolled onto her foot, then say that it could have gone anywhere so this sounds like it did not just roll onto her foot. Also, where was the defender located in reference to the goals when the ball hit her foot? and would have the ball had enough momentum to cross the line (after she trapped it) if it did not hit her foot?

Using the advantage thinking, did the defending team gain an advantage by the action? Yes they did. Was it a significant advantage? Yes, stopped a goal. What is the highest penalty for the action (as this is a significant advantage)? PS.

In these situations I wish the ball would hit the defenders foot and then go into the net, makes the decision easier :)

BTW thanks for searching, much appreciated :)

5. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

Assuming there were no forwards in playing distance, I think the question can be resolved to... did the defender/defending team get any advantage from the action of the ball hitting the defender's foot. I know it's one of those "you have to be there questions", but 67726 - without any more information, there's no way of really expressing an informed opinion on the circumstances you describe.

6. 67726

67726 FHF Regular Player

The deffender was in line with the post at the GKs feet ( say about 1.5 to 2m from the goal line) to take the ball off her pads if she saved it. Also she got quite a good trap on the ball, it more spun onto her inside foot. No attackers were with in playing distance. :no:

7. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Thanks for the additional info, would still need to see the incident but I can see why a PS was awarded.

The ball may have been rolling/spun into her feet ( Also she got quite a good trap on the ball, it more spun onto her inside foot ) so that says to me the ball was still travelleing towards goal, I say that because you say inside foot that would generally mean the foot that would be inside the goal post upright, presuming she trapped the ball infront of her feet. Would be a strange PC if at least one player from the attacking team had not gone to the pads or post for a deflection, not downgrading your veiw but the umpires view would have been a wider view.

In all she may have made thr right call, based on the info you have given, the only thing she should have also done was to warn you for dissent. Just a quiet word would have sufficed.

AU

8. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

Assuming side on stance, therefore inside foot is the right foot nearest the goalline, then I suspect then that the umpire considered that the high amount of spin on the ball meant it would have gripped on the turf and carried into the goal if the defender's foot wasn't in the way.

Guess what?

9. mspice61

mspice61 FHF Regular Player

i think the issue is still whether the ball, if unimpeded by the players foot, would have crossed the line?? Always a difficult decision but i can see both why it was given and why you may question it.

10. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I gave a PS when a save by the keeper's LHP went just past his left post, brushing the thigh of his post-man as it passed.
    In my judgement, the ball would probably have otherwise gone into the goal.

[I think only I and the post-man knew it had touched him (I was only about 2 m away) , so the defence applause for the save quickly turned to varying degrees of dissent when they saw the PS signal.]

It sounds as if the umpire in your game thought the same..... maybe it would, maybe not :)

FWIW (nothing really), the PS was missed :rolleyes: What about yours?