Problems with senior members of Bulgarian Field Hockey Federation

Discussion in 'Bulgaria' started by The.Rampage.Rado, Jul 8, 2010.

1. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

I'm inspired from this:
    Facebook group where we're trying to gather some popularity. Not exactly for us but for the long lasting problems with the federation. It's a long, really long story starting before 2000 when Mr. Ant0nio Anton0v manages to get access to the governing body of our federation. Then he's succeeded to put there some friends and change each and every regulation on which the federation depends with his point of view.

He's CEO at the federation, board member and in the same time is board member at one and only academic supported club here - NSA (long time champions in Senior men and women, many times champion at each and every age group where we (me and my fellows) have participated in the squads). He's also reader at the National Sports Academy running his OWN university subject (field hockey coach or schools sports teacher with hockey). I call this interest conflict but our Sports Ministry don't think so. So and again he's placing his people in each and every commission in BFHF - if you want to umpire you have to kiss some ...., if you want to be coach you can be but only at levels U12 and U14, if you want to be senior coach you have to get NSA bachelor degree (this rule is placed there only to force people willing to play role in our sport into his hands - he decides if you're EVER going to graduate and when, you're forced to play for NSA for this period), there's no option to take coach course like in Enlgand to get some degree, you have to study for him 4 years; they decide how and if is going to be called in for the national team (any age group, not only seniors). I can keep on describing if you're interested...

We recently got some real argues with HIM (please note I'm not saying "The Federation" because it (the federation) doesn't exist - all calls are made from him, he signs all important notes, orders and so on!) ending up with some POTENTIAL really harsh 2 year BAN from playing! (to be decided this Saturday, but it's 99.99% sure I can say ;) )

NSA got promoted 2 years in a row in EuroHockey Club Challenge which IS THE BIGGEST SUCCESS for our country, from 2010 we were supposed to play with 2 teams in the tournament. Let's get back on the story... - before they went away the club had to rise some cash for the trip which is the most normal part of all. OK they had to get some cash (I really don't want to stress on the amount, it's pennies, it's a principle problem!) which was promised to be returned if they perform OK. So they got promoted in the upper division and came back home. NOBODY TO welcome them, VIRTUALY NOBODY! So they demanded their money because they knew really well that he's going to shirk away. And he did, he was nowhere to be found, not picking up the phone and so on. So they decided it's worthless to invest more of their positive emotions in his success and the core of the team moved to HC Slavia 2005 (club made in 2005 with no real success in the senior hockey for the moment, knowing that the people there will treat them better and so they did IMHO!). Only people studying in NSA and people from outside Sofia living in their rooms left there. At this point Ant0nio totally rejected to return their money but demanded the equipment (which they also partly paid for!) if they want to move. All of them returned their shirts and stuff and where promised to get the money they paid for it also! Guess what - no money just excuses. This happened ~ August 2009 still NSA have not paid their duties to the players. No matter of that they're still playing in any age groups they want and went to represent Bulgaria at the EuroHockey Indoor Club Challenge in Slovakia this Winter.

Could you guess what would happen to my club if it don't pay some duty? It's simply gone for good from future BFHF events! But not for HIS club at HIS federation, everything is allowed to him be sure of that.

So the time passes by and my friends decided to do something about that. We made this Facebook group initially with the idea of making some "fame" for one of his friends - Nik0lai Y@nchev (antoni0 was his best man at the wedding and guess what - he's running HIS OWN club in Varna) which was appointed from BFHF to be some official (I don't really know more) at the recent Challenge hosted in Albena,Bulgaria from Slavia2005. It's been very hard tournament with lot of cards and emotions and at some point some players from Slavia got carded. In the same time people from our bench heard his words saying to the tournament director in English that this team is a problematic one, always making troubles at the local scene and his opinion is not positive and stuff. I can't imagine why he didn't say that at some tournament where he was with us when we played for NSA, could you? This resulted in some match bans for 2 of Slavia's players and the story ends here. Of course I always want to be as clear as I can be so I adopt the idea they totally 101% deserved their penalties but is it normal to SH*T on your own soil? Could you as Englishman or Frenchman soak somebody from your country the same way? Because my mind can't take this stupidity, OK you don't like us, be sure we don't like you even more but keep your mouth shut for a moment, think twice. This was the idea the Facebook group was made.

Antoni0 of course don't like that because it's against his people and tried to do something. Few phone calls here and there and some U21 and U18 National Team players were FORCED to get out of it otherwise there's no National shirt for them. I'm friend with them also (yes, we're small country with even smaller hockey :) ) and I can't imagine that somebody will wash their brain or somehow force them to join it. Rumours for fines was thrown (25 euros fine for saying what you think :D) and so on.

The BFHF board had meeting to discuss this 'problem' and the group founder was in called to explain what he wants. So we manged to organise ourselfs and entered the event to try to speak with some of the people inside. If the board is consisting of 9 people 4 of them had never been seen on the pitches :) My pals tried to lay out their ideas but we were told we have to leave the room regardless of Ant0nio's dog lie on the ground near him. Later that day we had private meeting with him (private so we don't have any evidences) about that and at the point that everybody said what he meant he said "It can't be done this way..." and left the room. Now we're promoted for 2 (yes you see properly, no need for eye doctors! Two years!) ban because we asked for some transparency and some stage where we can say what we think. Be sure we're gone for good :) Somebody would ask "What you did there?" - they are one of my best friends, I now work with some of them and I grew up with them, I can't imagine me standing aside and looking carelessly. It's being 10 years on average invested in this to simply give up!

And I was to forget few more 'details' about his adventures...

- Last week we saw there's no Bulgarian team at the coming 2011 Indoor EuroHockey championships. They asked EH what's going on, and they said OUR FEDERATION IS BANNED and to ask for more info BFHF. They emailed BFHF - no reply. They don't call their phones. And HE don't want to say why we're BANNED from ALL (indoor and outdoor) championships.

- We have more than 40 clubs on paper. Could you guess the number of active clubs this year ( all age groups, all weekend tournaments, indoor and outdoors). I can count ~20 of which I know they participated this year. But when there's general meeting for choosing the new federation board and staff all of them are there and vote with the 'right' card.

- BFHF built field hockey pitch jointly with joint-stock company Albena which was to be approved from FIH for international tournaments. Guess what - it was not approved, I think here we have people played on this pitch they can say what they think. In the meanwhile Albena got artificial pitch 'cheaply' built for declared share of ~100 000 euros from them and old abandoned parking lot. Now at least 1 full sized (11 a side) tournament is held there (in the Spring/Summer part of the year - of course the rooms are more expensive, it's one of the biggest resorts on our shore) and couple of regional kids tournaments. In the region there's 4 clubs and none of them is allowed to use it (or is willing to use it because it's atleast 50kms away). There's yearly CHILD Camp held there with tax for this year ~ 225 Euros per kid which used to be lead by non-professionals at some point. Last year one of my friends (now in the ban list too) was there with kids from the club he leads and was appointed to lead the camp because there was nobody else!!! If I had the money I would like to build in my own resort a pitch like that in cooperation with him, surely it would be 'great deal' for me also! :)

- all national team travels up to this moment are made without player sports insurances. In the years there were many injuries - no penalty to the federation of course, little help in getting sports medical treatment, not saying word for paying a share of the surgeries costs! No doctor with the team, depending on the local one.

- national teams eating beans from cans and hot dogs from the packaging but we were wearing brand new shirts and stuff on the same tournaments (a friend of him used to make them) ;) - Years 2004 an 2005, Vienna, much more info if you're interested ;)

- there's no financial transparency inside the federation. There's 'points system' based on number of players per club, final places, national team players but that's all. No control how the rest money is spent. In Bulgaria still if you need invoice for let's say 500 Euro you can find/buy one quoting the number for 10% of the total, just for information ;).

- he's trying to sit at as many chairs as possible. He was trying to launch some hockey in Macedonia and Albania, also found a floorball federation with some of the hockey clubs joining it to play floorball. Nice, it's a shame that the hockey is lacking behind but it's always better to have opportunities.

I deliberately place this in 'Bulgaria' section because I don't want to mess up this nice place with his junk!

I know how 'away' probably the whole story sound to you but we really need to spread the word because it's now really unbearable! Please if you find this story 'interesting' join us at Facebook and there you can get more information. Nearly all of us "think" we can speak English so we can explain (at least the most) of that we're thinking.

Please spread the word where you can because we're stuck with this guy really bad and every idea is welcome!There's rumours for 'partnership' in the community funding projects for 'his' clubs also.

2. Marzsenka

Marzsenka FHF Regular Player

Hi Rado,

Sad the read this post. In the last couple of years the Bulgarian teams usually shocked us with their strength. Just look at the last U21 indoor EC where they finished 5. however they were 'only a replacing' team.

Can You tell me about how many players/clubs/kids/championships/etc in Bulgaria? And how did you manage this own hockey pitch?
    Unfortunately in Hungary we also in a trouble, however -thanks god- we have not dictatorship. We just simply don't have money or plans to lay down a pitch, so nowadays we have to play in a really dangerous and totally inappropriate pitch. And the number of active players are decrease....

3. The.Rampage.Rado

As I said there's no more than 20 teams in ALL age groups - U12, 14, 16, 18 (or 21 depending on the year) and Seniors. We definitely experience some growth in the junior section where now the province (as opposite to the capital teams) now dominate simply because the school halls or the community pitches are 'close to home' and they spend the whole day there - which is very nice and I strongly support the work which is done in the smaller villages and towns. We have to keep the kids away from 'the street' and the sport is probably the best thing to do so. And I understand that the times are hard but I totally 101% disapprove the moment where some teams are 'subsidized' (by every means - with equipment, money, sending coaches or so) more than others when somebody have something for himself behind the idea of 'better hockey'. If you do your job - OK here's an award but if not - Don't rely on me to do your 'deals'. There's no work done in the bigger cities simply because the people there know how to manage this kind of stuff better and will sniff the rotten smell from far away. Some smarter guy than me said "Divide and rule" and it's totally true in our situation.

Considering that only few of those teams have more than U12 or U 14 squads it's easy to calculate that we're no more than 1000 in the BEST way still playing. Probably the only team now that have all age groups is guess what - Slavia 2005 ;)

As for the pitch which was advertised as 'a donation from a Belgian company' and co-investment between EHF, the federation and the resort. I have very few things to say because I hate to talk when I'm not sure.

The facility was build onto an old parking lot from Bulgarian company. Even two hockey players were sent there to help. The pitch is not filled with sand but some finner 'flour-like stuff'. The predominate opinion is that the turf S....Ks. The rebound is very high, I'm not groundsman but obviously the base is not laid properly. It's not watered by any means (the fire-brigade is across the street but they don't spill the stuff for free :) ) It's not perfect for hockey but it is for football and this is what it's used the most time of the year where the resort is a popular 'SOMETHING-mpiad' recreational and preseason pro-football preparation center. The most of it's tourist clients are from Russia, Ukraine and Western Europe, recently Romania. If they pay they will use it. The guy signed the building is a smart one definitely with the declared cost of 2 medium sized flats in Sofia they got full sized hockey pitch (not to forget the abandoned parking lot on the hill which was also theirs :D ).

Everything else is kept secret as stuff like for how much the accommodation costs when the tournament is organised there; is there some profit for our federation when somebody pay to use it ( :D :D :D the whole idea for this made me fall from my chair); the total cost for building it, the source of the turf itself, the building contract, who made the project to apply to EHF, the project itself, EHF's part. This things could never become accessible to us.

And something I find very funny - we as a Bulgarian club can't email and talk with the people in EHF. We have to talk to our federation and if HE decides that it's good to be upgraded HE can 're-translate' something to EHF (no guarantee it could be the truth or not). An example - we asked why Slavia can't participate in the Indoor champs '11 - they answered 'Ask your federation'. Our federation don't answer on intentionally. We told EHF they don't answer and the guy said "it's between us and them". In the air here there's numerous rumours floating, from that EHF was not satisfied with the organisation of Slavia's tournament May '10 to that some team had not paid they tournament fees for the EuroHockey participation (naming Banite of course not our indoor representative - NSA :) ). Stuff like that.. :D

If this pitch was build near Sofia then all the teams from Sofia could use it (paid or unpaid it doesn't matter) and it could be rented for other purposes making A PROFIT for BFHF not some 3rd party company. I know it's nearly impossible to lay a pitch in Sofia but there' other villages near us (from 1 to 10 kms) where the land is still not so expensive. Sofia is in the center of the Balkan peninsula reachable with 'nearly-completed' highways, railroads and airport. Albena is in the NE part of the country, you have to travel to Varna and then catch something to drive you to the resort.

4. The.Rampage.Rado

The brand new stupidity introduced the last week is a season starting January and ending November :D :D :D

First Indoor, after that 2 seasons of outdoor and finals in Autumn. This is for all age groups except senior Men and Women. We have brand new weekly matches. Too bad that from 6 teams only 4 applied because lack of money or pitches. One of the applied teams is like 300 kms from Sofia and will come to play 6 consecutive weekends. Just insane!!!

This is done because our Sport Ministy probably told all federations they're not getting any money till the end of the fiscal year and Ant0nio simply have no other source of funding (no advertising, no nothing) and he can't continue to run his gimmicks.

Also there's National team competitions in which we applied but NO CLUB VENUES!!! NO INDOOR NO OUTDOOR! I'll totally go to the bottom of this sh*t because it's smells to me like nice joint-project between BFHF and EHF!!! We could have one of the biggest and best indoor handball and ice hockey facilities for our indoor tournament and now somebody ruined this.

Of course our 2 year BANs from hockey are in force - no listening to us, even we're told the meeting is canceled simply because the last time we stayed there 2 hours after that. Somebody got scared it's going to be ugly and simply choose the easier way.

5. The.Rampage.Rado

As you may know we have problems with BFHT revealing personal data about ourselves and we raised a claim in our Personal Data Protection Acency in Bulgaria and at the first case we managed to sourde BFHT 5250 Euro fine for reviling sensitive information about ourselves.

This is just the firtst battle - WAR TO BE WON!!!

6. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Nice Rado congratulations!

7. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

8. The.Rampage.Rado

Thank you Gocu!!!

Every help is really welcome!

9. Jerome_LOU_HOCKEY

Jerome_LOU_HOCKEY FHF Legend

What was told on bulgarian TV (with Kaloian & Antonov)?

10. The.Rampage.Rado

Nothing I'm aware of.

Kaloian had an interview for one of the local sport websites but that's all.

11. The.Rampage.Rado

The fine was confirmed by the supreme court of Bulgaria. Probably they will appeal in front of 5 members jury but it's a step forward!!!

Also there is another fine (the same amount) brought up by another player.

In the mean time BFHF goes around in Bulgaria and says there's no money currently for clubs and grants BECAUSE OF US!!! Could you imagine... :D :D :D

12. The.Rampage.Rado

Both cases were won by us and Bulgarian Field Hockey Federation had to pay a total of 10500 Euro fine!

I think we have further good news but I have to wait few more days to announce it.

In the mean time our ban on hockey expired and was replaced by LIFE-LONG one for no reason! My demands for evidences of my fault and official documents and reports were declined! They probably don't even exist. Those are to be reviewed in court.

We're fighting strong for our cause and will not let some blokes ruin our little hockey community!!!

13. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Congratulations Rado keep us updated and when you can maybe give us some more detail regarding the whole situation

14. The.Rampage.Rado

After the mentioned cases above Bulgarian Field Hockey Federation yesterday lost another one. This time they distributed the club money for 2011 in violation of their internal regulations (which in Bulgaria have the weight of administrative acts). The Sports and Youth ministry have to decide what measures have to be taken but written law says that the federation licence could be taken away and the money most probably would have to be entirely returned to the government budged because of infringement of use of government money.

Will update you about that case in the next few months.