Management & Communication Policy over Function? For example: Umpiring in sunglasses

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions' started by Christian, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

From my own experience, if you'll accept this is anecdotal, not published 'evidence':

One particular was an ex-forces umpire joining the association, who had to wear yellow-tinted glasses due to a head injury: promising umpire, but not good eye contact. First few appointments he had quite a lot of chat to manage, including about the glasses. Saw him a month later umpiring the same team. He had grooved the 'eye contact' habit, and they just got on with it. Probably his umpiring was better overall anyway, but the glasses no longer mattered.

Another example, a national umpire has 3 times dropped down to a regional appointment with me, and on 2 of those occasions only had photochromics, which went quite dark even on the dull days. The teams knew he was good, so it didn't matter. Same, no doubt, with @Krebsy and @sanabas.

On the other hand, there seems to be close correlation between an umpire losing the trust of the teams, and players noticing all sorts of inconsequential details as evidence of lack of care and, by implication, competence. The list is as we've discussed since back on page 1:
    peaked caps, shorts, dull/dark/unofficial shirts, waterproof coats, dayglo shoes, limps, wild hair, beanie caps, beards (not so much the neat trim sported by @careeman , more the mountain-man look that we've seen locally),...​

#101 Diligent, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

If the umpire loses the trust of players, then I guarantee they can find some inconsequential details to call indicators of incompetence. They can do it no matter what the umpire is wearing, no matter how impeccably conventional the umpire looks. As mentioned earlier, if it's a crap umpire turned out in immaculate black shoes, black pants, fluoro shirt, then the players will pick on that, that the umpire cares more about looks than actually learning to umpire. If it's a crap umpire in jeans & hoodie, then they'll pick on that. So of course there's a correlation between umpire losing trust and players nitpicking. Because if the umpire doesn't lose trust, the players have no reason to nitpick.

And what's wrong with the mountain-man look, may I ask? Is there a reason to assume a lack of competence if your umpire looks like this:
    sana5.jpg

SPetitt likes this.
  3. MikeyBobs

MikeyBobs FHF Top Player

I'm sure I've umpired with him in our "little county by the sea" ... however you notice he is NOT WEARING SUNGLASSES !!!

Lights touchpaper and stands well back ....

4. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF All Time Great

Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire & Costa del Sol
    I believe you are required to remove any spectacles when you have such pics taken? :rolleyes:

If the UV level is high enough to produce maximum darkness in photochromics, then you probably eye-protection anyway. Excessive UV exposure can accelerate the development of cataracts.

5. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

I have never had such a photo taken. :p

6. Graeme85

Graeme85 FHF Starter

Sightly late to the party on this one but I am just back from a holiday to Australia and managed to have a friend rope me into umpiring a game for them. Even though I added a new shirt to my collection courtesy of Just Hockey I did feel weird umpiring in shorts and did wonder if it made me have to work harder to gain the respect of the players. I know when my focus was on playing opposed to umpiring that the appearance of the umpire was an important factor in the perception of their ability that you take into a game and therefore I think we should always try and look smart as it helps with that first impression.

With the wearing of sunglasses when you look at the facial expressions of the umpires on tv during the euros the eyes help sell their mood, thoughts on the decision and reinforces how important in my opinion eye contact with player is.

Paul Watts and Nij like this.
  7. NickJSAHC

NickJSAHC FHF Reserve Player

I can only agree with whoever said sunglasses (but maybe not mirrored lenses) are ok at the personal choice of the umpire. If they help you see better and thus make better decisions surely that outweighs any tradition/convention arguments. Each to their own/whatever you're comfortable with :cool:

Mac likes this.
  8. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Just to clarify a post earlier regarding sunglasses negatively affecting depth perception, in fact, so long as they are good quality, polarised sunglasses are either neutral or in fact enhance rather than degrading depth perception. Dirt cheap sunglasses may cause problems but good quality ones can actually add contrast.

Research done by ADS Sports Eyewear in Dallas, tested 2 beliefs that cycling glasses are safer without polarization because polarization makes seeing water hazards on the roadway harder and that polarized sunglasses decrease depth perception. Polarised brown or copper lenses provide the best contrast but they were unable to find any situations where they negatively affected depth perception

http://www.endurancesportswire.com/...ycling-and-running-sunglasses-for-hindrances/

You can also read the below paper from the Journal of Human Kinetics which confirms there is no negative effect on depth perception

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3661891/

9. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

That has to be at least a yellow card for @Gingerbread for bringing scientific research into a good old battle of opinions. Shame on you , sir:)

10. Gingerbread

It struck me seeing this bumped up that riding a bike at 40+mph (wasn't trying to beat a speed camera, honest) might be an issue if depth perception is affected by them and with Froome winning, if depth perception is so badly affected then why do all the pros wear them (especially given the speed a hockey ball goes at). Nice to find some science to trump opinions.

Not that I'm going to wear them for appointed games, because association rules and all that but summer league with sun setting may well benefit

peterwins likes this.
  11. Gingerbread

I'm still waiting for the UK to give in and allow pastafarians to wear a colander on their head for the passport / driving license

12. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF All Time Great

Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire & Costa del Sol
    OK, we have some evidence that they do not detract from one's ability to follow the game(quite the contrary) ... something that many have observed subjectively.
    But we have none AFAIK which shows that the respect of the players is in any way degraded by the umpires' wearing tinted lenses ... it is just an opinion.
    "Don't do it because I don't like it" :rolleyes:

Gingerbread likes this.
  13. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great