Player language

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by hockey-legs, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Yes they do want skill but they want to see the opposite as well if we have 22 Ronaldo's the game is boring.

I do know personalities but we have been ask by tv companies who would you pay to watch play hockey and what teams will you go and watch.
    The answer with the general public was no one, and with those involved in hockey was the teams that ran the most pressed the most and got in the oppositions face. This style came to Ireland through a very talented coach called Richard Aggis who said get in their face and let them physically know you are on the pitch.
    When i watch any sport i see the coaches make the teams play to their strengths, and i see know wrong in that. I have seen the Canadians in the past as i have seen the Aussies, Dutch and Germans and all have gone through phases when the skill talent has not been of the highest level and have played to the strengths available.
    So lets not critisise one country, GB are physical, so are many other teams.

The thing that came to me when i got all the matches and watched them from the Olympics was the teams are could run for hours, tackle like mad and be in the face but the germans won as they used their few really skillful players better than anyone else.

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Grumpy, I'm not disputing that any of these incidents occurred (how could I? You were there and I wasn't!) but I would say that in each case the TD was simply, and incontrovertibly, wrong. Within the rules of hockey there is no requirement for the umpires to control the spectators. Full stop.

3. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

No probs i agree but this is how misconceptions occur and seem to get woven into the rules.

You and i know it is wrong, when i go to a match or a tournament read all the rules and i ask for clarification on as many points as possibe.
    One of the tournaments was at international level so it was very disconcerting, But i am old enough not to worry.
    Being old has its advantages so i just adapt.

4. Spunko

Spunko Guest

I can understand why people swear out of frustration but I do agree the type of swearing and who it is aimed at should be considered before reaching for cards willy nilly. (I just wanted to say will nilly!) lol

I remember an umpire warning our university team about swearing once. He was correct to do so but one of our players got around this by shouting out things such as:

"Surely you jest!"

"Oh what folly!"

"You swine!"

Very amusing.

5. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I think I'd have difficulty keeping it together if a player said "Surely you jest, Umpire?" lol rofl

6. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

"No, and stop calling me Shirley!"

7. bigmick

bigmick FHF Legend

i have been known to eff and blind during games.the problem is my job is involved in the construction industry and i am around that kind of language for the vast amount of my week,when it is used like "god bless you".when i use that kind of language on the field it is always in the heat of the moment situation and i honestly believe i am not aware i am using it!if picked up on it by the umpire i apologise straight away and am honestly genuinely sorry if i offend anyone when using foul language.because of this i think i find myself more lenient towards players who use bad language when umpiring.is this wrong?most probably,but i think unless a player is constantly swearing during a game what harm can the odd expletive really do?

ps;i am not constantly swearing during a game just at odd moments like a bad defensive slip up or a poorly leaked goal.