Pitch division

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by UmpireHockey.com, Nov 17, 2016.

1. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

With regard to areas of control.. I think this picture demonstrates my views and the way we umpire here.. especially with intersecting boards and circle.

IMG_2759.jpg

#21 CardHappy, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    AJF and Paul Watts like this.
  2. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Yes, we always show what we have when asked. Or, are you saying that Mr. Harrison blew his whistle for his young colleague?

3. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

This picture stems back to the days before radios. In this particular incident the whistle was blown initially by the supporting umpire. This was agreed in the pre match chat and helped with the selling of the decision. The whistle was instant rather than waiting for the "controlling" umpire to see an offered PC. This helped with the management of the game.

Radios allow you to communicate quicker and more effectively but the secondary signals are still very important to help with the "arena umpiring".

In England we have tried to shed the shackles of "custom and practice". Instead of thinking is it right or wrong, we think "did it work"?

This involves good cooperation and above all else, trust between the umpiring team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Watts likes this.
  4. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

I think Mr Harrison blew. As said earlier due to the speed and nature of the indoor game, the entire pitch is shared. This ensures, hopefully that nothing major is missed.

In my L2 assessment, once I'd got the idea in my head (it so goes against everything that we are taught to do outdoors) I blew three PC's in my colleagues D. I hasten to add that they were all in areas where he would at best have had to have guessed.

posted simultaneously with CardHappy

CardHappy likes this.
  5. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Just for info, that "young colleague" is now an FIH Grade 1 indoor umpire...

Paul Watts and CardHappy like this.
  6. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

But as it is Spud, I think "young colleague" is very much excusable!

Paul Watts likes this.
  7. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

And the picture is also from 2010, so I think he may actually still have been at school... ;)

You can tell it's an old picture from the amount of hair on his colleague's head... :p

Diligent, Gilly, masonsm215 and 4 others like this.
  8. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Excusable? He wasn't young?

9. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Sure he was young (compared to his umpiring peers), but so accomplished and experienced that his youth was forgotten - hence the surprise at anyone actually mentioning "young".

10. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

And also because he's older than me, yet still looks 12...

Paul Watts likes this.
  11. mdemello

mdemello FHF Newbie

I would not have a problem with my colleague making a call in the far end of my circle when it is obvious that I did not see the foul. As "CardHappy" has pointed out, the important thing is for us to get the calls right. It is about what is fair to the players. Also, if I was using a radio, my colleague would have informed me that a PC should be called and why so in the absence of radios, he/she should be able to make the call.