Personal penalties PC and......What Else?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by careeman, Oct 2, 2017.

1. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

Team A has two GCs in 1st half , after a couple of early warnings too, for physical tackles and captain is spoken to on 2nd one and asked to help tidy them up.
    Both teams therefore aware that tackles need to be cleaner and Team A do clean up their act until half time with no more cards or physical tackles.
    Team B throughout the half are impeccably behaved and do not get spoken to at all, about anything.

In the 2nd half Team B get an early big blow and warning for a stick tackle / breakdown tackle from behind just outside the 23m area.
    5 mins later, different player but same type of tackle made inside 23m. Big blow, PC and...................??

What else and why?

2. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

I'd go GC as they've had the warning, same as A in the first half. I don't think it's fair to do anything more if they've previously been OK and the actions of team A shouldn't affect what penalties team B get

3. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Go on then, what did you do?

4. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

You didn't GC the first one, I'm disappointed. Breakdown right outside the 23MA is verging on deliberate offence territory at the usual level.
    Even if the first isn't a professional foul, the second has to be reasonably considered one, given all the warnings and the context of offence. The offender was already on their way before the whistle for the PC stopped, right?

The only other way around it is some absolutely amazing player management, and even then, I'd say lucky nobody got knocked on their rear end after that.

careeman likes this.
  5. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

I'm not telling. Yet.

What would you have done?

6. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

With the caveat of YHTBT, and as you've indicated it's fairly early in the 2nd half, I would probably have gone, GC.

7. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

Eureka!! Cheers @Nij

I'm disappointed now in hindsight I didn't go GC on the first one either. It was a GC tackle and why I felt a verbal warning was enough I'm not quite sure. Something to think about before next week.
    Team B's previous good behaviour shouldn't have overridden the fact this was a GC tackle. My bad!:oops:

I've actually just emailed my coach and summarised the incident including the line, "Q. What did I gain by not going GC for the first one? A. Nothing."
    I was a little too focussed on not springing a surprise with a YC when I'd missed the opportunity to apply the correct penalty first time round and remove / reduce the 'surprise' when it eventually came.

I did go GC on the PC because I felt YC was too harsh but had the GC been (rightly) shown for the first foul, YC would've fitted the crime and not come as surprise to anyone.

Thanks FHF, my dilemma is solved.:)

Paul Watts and Nij like this.
  8. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Was the GC your new photo?

9. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

Haha. Stalker!!!

No I've a feeling that was another one. I think I was talking to this guy as he left so the whistle wouldn't have been in my mouth.

10. Pippinn

Pippinn FHF Regular Player

Without looking at any other replies, 5 minute yellow. My reason being that both teams have had warned during the game, 2 players have served personal penalties for it, and it within the 23m area, outside of which I'd consider a GC.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

careeman likes this.