Passing Sequences to beat the 5 man Zone

Discussion in 'Indoor' started by Dutchie, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie FHF Newbie

Indoor Scenerio
    See this zone in indoor play

X X(defender) They play wide and cover boards- not 1 up- 1 back
    X (mid)

X X (forwards)

o.

o.

Would like others to suggest passing sequences to beat this zone that does not press, only moves forward and plays with the mid deep. The mid will go forward if a player moves into that space. Holding zone

Your approach to facing this and beating it from a 9 metre in an indoor match if you played a 3-1-1 or a 2-2-1
    Regards
    Dutchie

2. digit

digit FHF Regular Player

Hi Dutchie,

I would try use 3-1-1.

Three at the back one standing on top of the circle and one running the baseline._________________________________________________

3. keely

keely FHF Legend

I don't know if I could prescribe an actual passing sequence to beat this traditional zone, but in my region we approach it by trying to create 2 v 1 opportunities with players cutting through the zone of the 3 forwards or using the boards as the "imaginary" teammate.

Passing the ball back and forth should pull the zone out of shape at some point to create a space for that cutting teammate. Once the ball has been passed from the back pair to a midfielder, it's then to have one of those defenders to jump into the play to create another 2 v 1 or to exploit an immediate passing lane to a high forward.

4. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

i would always advice you to play 2-1-2 its whats easiest to play and what have been proved to be the most sucessfull
    you can put your mid player near the left sideboard in the same height as their right forward your mid can then pass the ball into the top of the cirkle if he gets the ball quickly after a couple of quick passes betwen your defenders

Robert Noall likes this.
  5. digit

digit FHF Regular Player

You could pass the ball all day between the backs and get nowhere against a team that plays half court. You need to use a system to beat it.

6. keely

keely FHF Legend

Of course, if you never put the ball forward you don't beat anyone. But a programmed set of passes won't work if they don't use the spaces that are actually available to the attack.

Regardless of whether the zone is back at the half-court line or pressing, it will still be shifted by lateral passes. The question is whether those shifts create sufficient space in the zone to exploit. One way to increase the size of those passing lanes is to get more proximate to the zone as this changes the angles.

7. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

This what Nic said seemed to me like most valuable thing in Sheffield this year... England I think too used it couple of times, Turkey did it too... SWE was doint it all the time...

It rocks every time if the team you play is unprepared as we were... The Mid passes to the AT at the top and then he makes 1-2 with Mid or RD running in the D. Even RA can pass it left deep in the base line searching for deeply placed LAtt striking with one touch. Many opportunities... Zone is hard to beat but not impossible...

I can't wait for the Winter to start plaing indoor because it's 80% sure we would make another team with some team-mates and try to do it the right way this time... :D

8. Ed_P

Ed_P FHF Starter

I would be looking to isolate one of the wide players.

I have seen 1 - 3 - 1 used a lot.
    Where the two of the players in the 3 are almost wingbacks, with a pivot at the spine of the team.

I would look to move the ball quickly between CB and the wing backs (WB), then deliver the ball into the CH, to make a 1st time bounce pass to the opposite WB.

So ball comes from LWB to CB, then into CH then out to the RWB.

At that point get the forward and the RWB to attack their LB.

You would then be looking to get the ball back over to the left, either to the CH or the LWB at the top of the circle.

The crucial part is asking yoru CH to stay high and lead back into the space where the pass is going to come from. Therefore always being infront of your marker.

Marqi - AR likes this.
  9. Robert Noall

Robert Noall FHF Newbie

I agree with this, very good point. From a 2-1-2 many attacking and defending "link" can be made as apposed to a 3-1-1 or 2-2-1. Draw them out on a piece of paper and draw potential links. You will see straight away how many links can be made with a 2-1-2.

10. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

This season we just have to see what we can do with one player less.

11. Robert Noall

Robert Noall FHF Newbie

Good luck!