"Own Goal" rule clarification

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by david offord, Aug 15, 2012.

1. david offord

david offord FHF Newbie

Friends,

Is the interpretation of the new "own goal" rule only that the ball has to be hit into the circle by an attacker & can then hit either an attacker or defender inside the circle on its journey into the goal to be deemed to be a 'goal' ?

What about the unfortunate circumstance of a defender from FHD outside the circle making a 'back pass' to a defender colleague inside the circle & the ball not being controlled & then ending up in the goal ? Goal or 5m side line (long corner) ? Tempted to say long corner but can hear some calls for an "own goal" to be awarded. Verdicts please.

2. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

3. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Doesn't matter who last played it outside the D: if it is played inside the D and then goes in the goal, its a goal!

Defenders will just have to concentrate, in case the ball comes their way.

Peakey likes this.
  4. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Of course the defender doesn't have to "play" the ball in the circle, any touch on their stick or body will count.

5. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Even a deflection off a keeper's kicker will be enough.

6. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Can't like!

Grrrrrr

7. duncedunce

duncedunce FHF Starter

I had a perfect opportunity to educate my club's summer team last night: Quick FHD from the 15m outside the D, passed to the centre back 4m in front of goal who wasn't ready, didn't realise that the ball was in play and was not expecting a pass. The ball rebounded off his stick (at least the pass was accurate!), past the equally oblivious keeper :rolleyes: and trickled over the line into the goal.

Gave the corner, but let them know that next season that would be a goal. Cue a certain amount of interested discussion post match.

8. Peakey

Peakey FHF Regular Player

I agree the verdict should be 'own goal'. Ball goes in the box= goal. Pretty simple? Just because it's not the attackers who put it in from inside the D doesn't mean it should count as anything ele.

9. keely

keely FHF Legend

Well, "ball touched inside the D and goes in the net = goal." A rather important distinction.

10. AndyTheUmp

AndyTheUmp FHF Starter

At the higher levels of the game, I'm not sure this will make a huge amount of difference due to the level of skill of the players. What will be interesting to see is what happens as you move down the playing levels. My initial reaction is that players won't like it, especially defenders and GKs.

11. keely

keely FHF Legend

h2j and Gilly like this.
  12. AndyTheUmp

AndyTheUmp FHF Starter

13. lsfreak

lsfreak FHF Starter

Morning all, what would the outcome be if say at a PC.
    The ball is injected and stop outside the circle. The 1st shot is a hit from outside the circle below the required height and is deflected by the 1st wave/runner into the roof of the net o_O

14. m0rph3us

m0rph3us FHF Regular Player

Goal!

Still not totally wild about this rule change (it seems a lot more focused on penalising sloppy defence / unlucky deflections than on promoting good attacking play). But it is what it is.

15. Duncan Clarke

Duncan Clarke FHF Starter

Has anyone actually worked out the reason this change has been made in the first place? Personally I can see no benefit to it but quite a significant risk (encouraging firing fast balls in from range).

16. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

I can't see that it will actually do much of the sort, Duncan.
    It's been trialled through England and the EHL for a couple of years now, I think, and the number of own goals scored is tiny. More, they're not caused by anything that wouldn't have already happened or by something that the attackers wouldn't normally do in the situation; it's just that instead of being a long corner, they're a goal, or instead of a shot missing completely/a long pass going out for 15MH, the silly defender put it in themselves.

If a rule can encourage good attacking play or penalise bad defending, then can a rule not also encourage good defensive play? Those players are lazy or sloppy will soon learn to think before they play the ball, and be more properly aware of the field around them, precisely as they should be, or else they will permit more scoring against their team and be judged by selectors and teammates accordingly.
    The goalkeepers' forum has a thread and several comments concerning keepers who are worried this will end up causing so many goals against them, but they are not thinking it through: if they do their job properly, exactly as they always have, then there is no reason to worry at all. Any keeper who was letting balls go through when they didn't know who last touched it in the circle was already giving away goals; any defender who was just throwing a stick out in front instead of actually thinking ahead and moving first was already letting the attackers get around them.

17. Duncan Clarke

Duncan Clarke FHF Starter

My point not how many goals would be scored as a result. In fact the acknowledgement that it is so few backs up my question of what is the benefit meant to be?

Far from encouraging good defence it will encourage avoiding the ball, thus stopping play. It will encourage attackers hammering it in if they run out of other options, just on the off chance.

But as I said my query was not about the possible negative aspects. What actual benefit could possibly come from this change? The only thing I can think of is making the umpiring easier when you're not sure who hit it in a contested ball in the D. If that were all then it is very heavy handed IMO.

18. keely

keely FHF Legend

To make the game simpler. On the odd occasion that someone touches the ball and it goes in the net, instead of it sometimes being called as a no-goal which would mystify many non-hockey spectators, it will be a goal. Touched in the scoring circle = goal. It just makes sense.

Nij likes this.
  19. AndyTheUmp

AndyTheUmp FHF Starter

Hi Duncan,

From what I have seen umpiring at my level and also watching a lot of the Olympic tournament, firing the ball into the D is quite prevalent already, maybe with slightly different expectations depending on the level of skill :)! The higher level is looking for an attacking deflection, the lower level maybe a little more hope than expectation. I also think good players attacking the D will still be looking for a friendly stick anyway, or trying to win a PC which is a far more profitable outcome to them.

I agree with Nij's comments about keepers as well. What it may well do is get some keepers to realise they need to up their game and not be so complacent if unsure. We'll only know the real outcome once the season really kicks in and I'm sure the comments will stack up here about people's experiences. I think Keely's comment to my earlier post was about right... "they'll complain bitterly for 3 months and then it'll be business as usual", probably much like when hockey abolished the off side rule (if anyone come remember that :)), but hasn't it made life easier as an umpire?

Andy

20. harvi

harvi FHF Starter

This rule change just adds weight to my nutty,outthere paronoid idea that hockey may become soccer with sticks