"own goal" experiences this season so far

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by Zakalwe, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Zakalwe

Zakalwe FHF Newbie

Hi

Just thought I'd post my experiences so far this season, given that there was some discussion pre-season as to whether or not this rule change would have any impact on the game.

(I keep in the Surrey/Hants Regional Div 2 league) - and after 8 games:

Two own goals - both at the other end, and both where a diagonal ball was played in hard, and which a diving attacker missed, confusing the keeper and the ball pinging off kickers into the goal. Both games were won by one goal.

I've had to make three saves that I wouldn't otherwise had have to as a result of deflections by my defence

Then... Once a ball was hit hard in from outside the D - I thought there was an attacker approaching behind me so decided to play the ball late and haplessly completely missed it. There wasn't an attacker, and so that would have been extremely embarrassing if i'd just clipped it!

Consequently I then made my worst decision this season so far: Direct hit from a short corner - not stopped cleanly, but the striker hit it at goal anyway. I was (and remain) convinced that the ball was a good 6 inches outside the circle when played, and I chose to leave the ball rather than risk mis-playing it (it was stuck cleanly and very hard). In previous seasons I would have played it. Umpire blows for a goal. :( Red face. No video referrals in this league! And I won't do it again...

The rule has certainly had an impact!

Zak

2. chrisberry2k

chrisberry2k FHF Top Player

I've stepped over one before when I thought (knew!) it was clearly struck from outside the D and a goal was awarded. Never again! Better safe than sorry plus now if it clips me / a post man gets a tip on it it's a goal.

I've only seen a 'keeper get away with one and not seen any given (attacker missed diagonal ball, rattled between kickers and in but umpire missed it). I do know of a couple of defenders who've put them in though trying to stop balls from outside of the D and putting them past a GK. My tips -

Now more than ever DON'T TRUST YOUR DEFENDERS!

3. jonnyg

jonnyg FHF Regular Player

Ive done exactly the same and stepped over one that i thought was struck from outside the D possibly the worst moment in my GK career!! Zakalwe which club do you play for we played in that league last year may have played against you?

4. Kinell

Kinell FHF Newbie

SO - is it a good rule change or not ???

5. Zakalwe

Zakalwe FHF Newbie

I still don't like it personally, but I'm getting used to it.

Bank of England. Looks like you're at Chichester - you destroyed us in the second game. We were doing well in the first, until we realised that turning up with 11 men isn't a great idea when one of your key midfield players dislocates his shoulder half way through the game...

6. chrisberry2k

I think so. It's always been a bit of a strange one that it shouldn't count as it does make umpiring that little bit harder and allowed defenders to get away with murder at times. Can you imagine it in other sports? Corner swung in, defender just nicks in ahead of the diving attacker and nods it into their own net - all you get is another corner. And I can say that whilst hating giving away any goals let alone with the possibility of scoring one myself!

7. jonnyg

jonnyg FHF Regular Player

I remember that looked like a nasty injury was a tight game that one. Enjoyed the game at your place lovely facilities to play hockey. How are you getting on this year?

8. CardWaver

CardWaver FHF Reserve Player

well I seem to be averaging an OG a game for my appointments this season ! so much for it not having much effect
    It also seems to be producing many more 'hit and hope' efforts into the d , followed by a chorus of "he touched it " as a team desperately try and get a goal back....seems to be let's whack it in, claim a touch and pressurise the umps, is this what was Intended, I think not :-(

9. chrisberry2k

That is a LOT. An OG / game! Players have always been trying to get away with the "I got a touch, honest guv" wheel in celebration despite missing by a country mile goals. That's now no different I guess.

10. Lacho898

Lacho898 FHF Star Player

I don't like as an umpire and a keeper as if it gets it played into a dense circle how are you meant to work out if it has come off anyone's stick. In previous seasons you wouldn't see as much of the sort of tactics they're trying know

11. chrisberry2k

But isn't it simpler - if it hits anything from a defender or an attacker's stick it's a goal. You'd have had to check for an attacker's stick anyway and so if you're not sure whether it was the attacker/defender it doesn't matter. It's a goal.

Before you'd have still had to make a call on attacker's stick/foot anyway. Surely?

12. Lacho898

Lacho898 FHF Star Player

But in previous seasons, in my experience anyway, this smash into d tactic wasn't as prevelant

13. azbedwell

azbedwell FHF Top Player

But the new rule can create addition problems. Firstly it can/has (peoples experiences differ on this) mean more balls hit in to the D so you get an increase in the number of difficult decisions to make. As you said "Before you'd have still had to make a call on attacker's stick/foot anyway. Surely?" that is true but before you may have only had to do it a a couple of times a game, now you have it happening much more often which mean getting it right every time is much less likely.

Also you can now have the problem of "did it hit anyone/anything?" Now instead of attackers claiming to have touched it rather than the defender you attackers either claiming they touched the ball (when you are not sure anyone did) or claiming the defender has touched it (when perhaps no one did). Youhave eliminated one problem (who touched it) and created another not necessarily simpler.

Although I am kind of just playing devils advocate I think the new rule is fine to be honest, doesn't make too much difference, especially since our team had been the beneficiaries of two own goals and are yet to concede one (apart from a friendly)

14. LizGK

LizGK FHF Regular Player

azbedwell decisions get made all over the pitch, i'm not sure any umpire cares where they take place, nor are they more difficult in the D.

As for did the ball touch anyone...i think a quick " did i see anyone touch it, did the ball change it's path or did i hear anything would clear this up really simply. If the D is crowded someone will definately get a touch, if they don't you can assume the path the ball takes towards goal is clear and you can SEE it doesn't touch anyone.

I say this as someone that has conceded an own goal (oh the shame) i still think it's a good change, as chrisberry2k has said - imagine seeing it any other sport given as a long corner. One of my favourite things about hockey is it's attacking reputation and high scorelines - if this rule is encouraging more D penetrations and more goals -BRING IT ON.

15. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Wakey Mens 1sts have conceeded 3 OG's so far this year in National league, and at least 1 more in a pre-season friendly. Awful rule that hopefully vanishes next year.

Also, it's a real pain when OG's are simply not recorded in any way shape or form on Fixtureslive.
    Take last weekends 3-3 against Donny. How exactly did the scoring go?

16. Gilly

Gilly FHF Legend

17. Gilly

Gilly FHF Legend

Just realised that the page I linked to above is a dynamic one which will change over the weekend so here is the result wdyw asked about.

18. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Was just with DavidBurns talking about own goals when sure thing I saw my very first one this season.

19. JoshRobbino

JoshRobbino FHF Top Player

Had an incident today where it was a foul by the attack just outside the D and was rolling off the pitch. Was preparing to just give a 16 and I saw the keeper fumbling it. Quickly gave the hit, just before I saw it bobble over the line!

That's the closest I've come to witnessing an own goal this season...

20. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

Seen a few as a result of slamming ball into the D / speculative cross to nobody from the wing, in each case an unlucky deflection leading to goal. So I expect to see more slamming and speculation! An unjustified reward for poor skill. And, yes, I have had the confident appeals & jubilant celebration as one team tried to con me about a defender touch. (Next time I may treat it as football treats diving - with a card !)
    I have also seen a GK who forgot the new rules and watched the ball cross the line for a goal - just hope I remember to give it when it comes up again.

I remain unconvinced that this is for the good of the lower-level game.