Outdoor stick used Indoors?

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by Zip!, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Zip!

Zip! FHF Regular Player

Hi,

Quick and probably a very silly question; Is there anything in the rules that prohibits the use of a normal "outdoors" stick being used?

Cheers!

2. reversechop

reversechop FHF Regular Player

Nope. It is not advised though given the inexpensive nature of Indoor sticks.

3. Moody_Git

Moody_Git FHF Regular Player

More to the point, why would you use one?

A heavier headed stick would make it easier to lift the ball when trapping, passing or dribbling surely?

4. Zip!

Zip! FHF Regular Player

Drafted in last minute to take part in a tournament tomorrow - assumed it was okay but wanted to make sure as there are no local retailers with stock, nor would I be able to get one off tinternet delivered in time.

I'm a GK anyway so if I'm trapping or dribbling I need to be having words with my forwards!

5. Ridge

Ridge FHF Star Player

Some local regulations require that you do. Indoor Facilities usually require indoor sticks used or you have to tape or put a sock over the outdoor sticks head so it doesn't damage the floor. Just my experience from playing at high school gyms in the States. I know that we are having an indoor tournament in Richmond, BC in January and they require indoor sticks be used as well. It's all up to the TD I guess

6. RobJ

RobJ FHF Top Player

Just a little perplexed as to why outdoor sticks need to be taped or covered for some indoor venues? Aren't indoor and outdoor sticks made using the same materials? The websites I have looked at have listed that indoor sticks are either composite or wooden - which is the same as outdoor sticks - and the only real difference is the weight and thickness of the head. :eek:

7. Ridge

Ridge FHF Star Player

I've wondered the same thing. Never ceases to amaze how unintellegent some people are. That's is just we have always been told

8. keely

keely FHF Legend

Our indoor venue in Calgary has, in the past, attempted to implement a policy where everyone had to apply tape to the bottom edge of whatever stick they used indoors. It was never enforced so players like myself who hate tape, especially on the heel like that, just refused. Hardly anyone bothers, aside from those trying to preserve their paint jobs.

9. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

That would haveta be followed by an outdoor ban on all but smooth-soled shoes ... mustn't damage the carpet :)

10. robturnbull55

robturnbull55 FHF Regular Player

Hey what torny was it that you played in?

11. a-dude

a-dude FHF Starter

I've always wondered about that, as there is no requirement that specifies the thickness.
    In the US, there is a modification that requires a stick made for indoor, but nothing that specifies what that really is besides the manufacture.

12. Ridge

Ridge FHF Star Player

yeah, i just read our new rulebooks that usafh sent us. first few pages list our modifications to the rules, one reading - "A stick designed for indoor play is required."