opinions on calling the umpire?

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by foozbear, Nov 19, 2008.

1. keely

keely FHF Legend

Agreed with red. I actually show my colleague in the pre-match chat, "this is what I do when I need help" and lift up my chin significantly, so they know exactly what my request for help looks like - no cap necessary.

I also explain to my colleague where I'm most likely to need help - at the top far side of the circle, for example - so they are more attentive when there are incidents in that area and are available to assist.

2. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

well I followed advice....

had a small talk with the captains before the game.

Talked to the other umpire. I told him if he has something else on my call to stand like he was at attention and Id call him over.

we worked together...looked for each other...

It went swimmingly well.

have to keep it up.

3. Handmedown

Handmedown FHF Regular Player

I wasn't suggesting when the disengaged umpire should be implementing signals, just suggesting that they should be down after the whistle (unless they were the ones using the whistle!). Obviously how you and your co-umpire choose to assist each other will differ with the conditions and pace of the game as well as the experience of both umpires. Assisting when help is called for is ideal, but sometimes is not practical because of reasons mentioned above. Inexperienced umpires will look up for your advice often and panic if they don't see anything immeadiately, especially around the circle. This is another issue though; on how to umpire with inexperienced umpires.

4. controller

controller FHF Legend

RED, I would agree with you, but you do get some umpires that will not allow you to do anything in the diagonal of the game and therefore this can cause problems if you see a foul and your colleague totally dismisses it, as being in his control even if it is on his/her blindside.

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

I'm not sure what you're saying - if your colleague "totally dismisses it", meaning that they've seen it but made an active decision not to call a foul, then you leave it alone entirely.

If you meant that your colleague "misses it" because it's something coming from behind (i.e. a push in the back) "in the diagonal of the game" (I assume this means in the middle-ish of the pitch between the 23's), then as per your pre-match chat, you should simply be calling it for them. Don't bother messing with unsolicited signals. This should only be happening a couple of times per game anyway.

6. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Oh, crikey, we've now found something else which umpires shouldn't do/wear :eek:

If the players couldn't see my eyes under my cap, then I probably couldn't see theirs....I don't wear my hat pulled THAT far down!
    Plenty of top-class umps seem to think that peaked caps don't detract from their communications ability.

It's nearly as bad as being told-off for wearing red socks :rolleyes: (@rsenal, of course)

Oh, and more to the point, well done foozbear...toldya!
    Being well-prepared .... and knowing it..... are SUCH powerful parts of your toolkit.

7. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

No justin. I didn't say any such thing. I said that I would advise people not to wear a cap and then said:

clearly implying that it's an individual's choice. If you think that wearing a cap helps improve your performance then of course you should wear one. I would never choose to wear one myself. That's all.

As for the point about finding plenty of "top-class umpires" that wear peaked caps, I honestly doubt you'll find many of the guys umpiring English National League who'll happily wear a cap, unless they absolutely have to. It's such an unusual occurrence, that when I had to wear one a few weeks ago in a futile attempt to keep the horizontal rain out of my eyes during the abandoned Beeston/Bowdon game, it provoked several jovial comments from the players along the lines of "Nice hat, Dave; let's hope it improves your umpiring!"

8. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

[/quote]

As for the point about finding plenty of "top-class umpires" that wear peaked caps, I honestly doubt you'll find many of the guys umpiring English National League who'll happily wear a cap,

[/quote]

thats cos its hardly ever sunny enough to need one....if they could umpire in a bathing cap and pull it off, I'm sure it would be proferable.... :p

Though I should hardly comment...when its not snowing here its raining cats, dogs AND kitchen sinks.

9. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Foozbear

So the advice given and the info you decided to use worked , thats great and the fact that you enjoyed the game even better

10. controller

controller FHF Legend

Keely

I was talking about the umpire who wants full control of their half of the field and does not want any help at all.

They are far and few of them but you will always get one or even two of them at club level.