One meter rule signal

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by Folmer, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Does anyone know what signal is used to indicate that a player / team has violated the 1 meter rule?
    I've looked it up in the FIH rulebook but couldn't find it.

2. controller

controller FHF Legend

I would suggest that you do not carried away with this rule, this is only used at grass roots hockey and only at the start of the season unless a team starts to funny and try it on.

I tend to put my fore finger in the air, indicating ONE and I then tend to use my voice to let the tam, know. If they continue to misuse this rule, then it is an automatic free hit to the opposition.

3. Handmedown

Handmedown FHF Regular Player

By 1m you mean the ball not traveling 1m off a hit before another team member touches it? I've always done this:

Palms facing each other, approximately 30cm apart.

I swear I remember reading it somewhere, but I can't find it in the rule book, although the players somehow know what it means without me explaining it.

4. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

It was during a game I umped where I had blown off one team a couple of times for a dangerous airial pass. After that they were consistently violating the one meter rule to get away with it. I warned them twice, but when I blew them on it again they where very surprised (yeah right!) I put up my finger as you said, but they (acted like) they didn't understand. That made me wonder what the signal was, but appearently there isn't one.
    Something for the next update of the rulebook.

5. controller

controller FHF Legend

Ok I understand what you are saying, but to indicate 1 Meter is down to your interpetation, and the using of your voice, expain by using your voice, not 1 meter, award a free hit to the opposition and get on with it, if they do not know that rule, then they should be playing the game. It is a basic rule that I was taught in school, and that was so long a go, it is scary.....

6. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Has it been in force that long, controller?...that is scary!

IMO, a warning is in order.. "One metre next time, please!"

I quite like the 30cm signal, which shows how far they have, typically, moved it! But I've always just used a verbal "Not one metre".

Don't think I'd use the index finger, as the response might be "Yes it was one metre, Ump!", using another finger, and smiling :eek:
    (then you have another 'situation' ;) )

7. Kirk

Kirk FHF Regular Player

I don't use any signal..... rule book states "only the official signals should be used". If I ever pulled up a free hit for not traveling a meter (never have done...) I would just verbally tell the player the reason for the free hit...

8. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

kirk what if you umpired players that dont understand english
    thiw will be the case when we play in russia the swedish umpire will face players that dont understand swedish or english

9. Handmedown

Handmedown FHF Regular Player

You would only enforce this rule if its plainly obvious that it has not traveled a metre and they have gained no benefit from it. For example if no one from the opposing team is pressuring the free hit then there is no point penalising them.

10. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I think a horizontal version of the "Raised/Too High!" signal would be understood, as it would immediately follow a short FH.

11. keely

keely FHF Legend

It's a fine balance between "keeping it simple" by staying with only the FIH-mandated signals, and using body language in order to communicate when words fail. In international competition at least, you'd expect any player from any country to understand the big 3: "5", "no" and "play". The other asset you have is that players should at that level know why you're saying something and be able to ascertain your meaning much more easily - i.e. with the 1m situation, players know that's something you're likely to be giving them feedback on so can guess when you say "1 metre" that's what you mean, even if they don't know the words.

It's not a good idea to try to use charades to get your point across, much in the same way that you don't want to use too many words. Gestures can be misconstrued across cultural lines and in quite dangerous ways.

So, Folmer, I think you may miss the opportunity by never using anything other than the rule book signals, and Nic, I think you can in fact use a few words regardless of the native language of the teams because the meaning is still clear.

12. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

and if you say it loud enough and slowly enough, any foreign speaker can understand english rofl :p

13. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

especially if you use BROKEN english. :rolleyes:

14. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I assumed that 'professional' international umpires would've learnt a few 'key phrases' in the languages of bothteams, as part of their preparation.... ;)

What phrases would be on your list ? :)

15. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

could be good to know a few swear words as well just so you can understand when someone is saing something bad to you

16. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Perhaps it's better not to know that, Nic ;)

17. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

haha i do understand you but still i would rather want to be able to take care of the situation then let a whole team call me names a whole game

18. keely

keely FHF Legend

Now that you mention it, I have been learning Spanish largely because being a Pan American umpire that is the alternate language used by countries in the federation. My first priorities were to learn to say "play", "no" (easy enough), "no more/enough", "calm", "1/5 metres", "careful"; then I learned to understand a few of the common swear words as Nic said.

However, it would be daunting to have to learn even a few key words in two foreign languages and then actually use them in an extremely challenging pressure situation, and perhaps never to use them again. Oh wait - there's that wink, I always miss that.