Olympic Qualifiers 2012

Discussion in 'FIH Tournaments' started by spinster, Nov 14, 2011.

1. spinster

spinster FHF Starter

Here you go...
    Mens:
    India 15-26 Feb
    India
    Canada
    France
    Poland
    Egypt
    USA

Ireland 11-18 March
    Korea
    Malaysia
    Ireland
    Russia
    Chile
    Ukraine

Japan 25 April - 6 May
    Spain
    Japan
    China
    Austria
    Czech Republic
    Cuba

Womens:

India 15-26 Feb
    South Africa
    India
    Italy
    Canada
    Ukraine
    Poland

Belgium 17-25 March
    Spain
    Ireland
    Belgium
    Russia
    France
    Mexico

Japan 25 April-6 May
    Japan
    Azerbajian
    Chile
    Belarus
    Malaysia
    Trinidad & Tobago

2. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
    Mens:

India 15-26 Feb, India to Qualify at the expense of Canada in the final (you can't beat India on home soil, that is if, it is on home soil!)
    Ireland 11-18 March, Korea to Qualify just by a goal over Ireland (will be a tight finish)
    Japan 25 April - 6 May, Spain to Qualify with ease over Japan

Womens:

India 15-26 Feb, South Africa to Qualify by beating India
    Belgium 17-25 March, Spain beating France in the Final
    Japan 25 April-6 May, Japan to Qualify

3. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

Can someone please explain to me why would RSA Women opt to go through the OQ process? And then giving Argentina their spot?

Smells very fishy.

4. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

This is what BlackCat is referring to (from the FIH webpage announcing the qualification groups):

Intriguing!

5. Wikileats

Wikileats FHF Top Player

I heard that the South African Hockey Association said that the Africa Cup was too easy so to prove they are good enough they have to win a qualifier. Seems a bit odd to be honest.

6. Tremo

Tremo FHF Top Player

Seems slightly big headed!
    If that were true, you'd almost want them not to qualify just as a 'serves you right'!!

7. teoloh

teoloh FHF Starter

The South African women were given a direct path provided they win the Womens Champions Challenge in Dublin in April or May this year but they did not do well ending up finishing 5th and hence their SASCOC requires them to qualify
    through the Olympic Qualifier. It has nothing to do with being arrogant or big headed. Likewise if the Mens failed to win the Champions Challenge to be held in Johannesburg in a couple of weeks time, they will also have to forgo the
    place won at the African Cup through the Olympics. They will then have to go to the Olympic Qualifier instead of Spain as their place will go to the Spaniards as they are the higher rank team that had not qualified.

8. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

Honestly, I don't buy it. Why would any country give up direct entry when there is no guarantee they will win a OQ. Surely their funding hinges on Olympic participation?

I'll throw it out there, just to be controversal because if have no proof, but it feels like the FIH had some hand in this. African Qualifier is suddenly too easy (because the quality has suddenly dropped???), WC Argentina looses to the USA and has to run through the OQ process?

You don't see Australia and NZ taking this option. Hell, they could send their U16 squads and still beat New Guinea and Fiji (if those teams even show up any more).

Come on, something's not right here.

9. Wikileats

Wikileats FHF Top Player

I do love a good conspiracy theory.

I'm in your camp of 'something not being right' but credit to Argentina, I think they'd manage to win an OQ and their participation at London isn't as critical as the GB women for instance.

It seems odd to just throw away a qualifying place just because they did badly at one tournament. If you win your qualifying tournament you should go. It's not fair to your opponents in the final as they would otherwise (theoretically, at least) be the next best team and therefore would probably be have been the ones to qualify.

10. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Its no different to athletes meeting the games qualifying standards but their national body setting higher standards. It costs money to send teams to these events, some countries have to look if its worth spending the money. I would imagine the SA's knew all of this before they went to African Cup.

11. Wikileats

Wikileats FHF Top Player

If money is the issue then why pay for the extra tournament? Surely you'd be better of forgoing that one and saving all your funds for the Olympics and what not.

12. teoloh

teoloh FHF Starter

I was wondering why as well initially but George Brink in his well informed Field Hockey webpage stated the reason and it is to do with SASOC decision. Moreover, by going to the OQ, it will also provide valuable match practice
    for the team considering it will be close to the Olympics as well. Most teams are reluctant to go on tours so as to expose their penalty corner routines and combinations. Sure this is no guarantee way of qualifying as upsets can happen but definitely the coaching staff of the South African team have full confidence in their charges' ability. If anyone who managed to see the footage of the SA defeat at the hands of the Spanish when they thought it was a shoo-in especially having finished joint leaders of Pool A with the Scottish girls, can see how gutted the SA girls felt on the final whistle. The Spanish girls put the golden goal in extra time. The Japanese girls who finished last of Pool A at the conclusion of the round robin went on to win the whole tournament defeating the USA girls after the USA led at half time 2-1.

13. Wikileats

Wikileats FHF Top Player

Match practice for what though? They've just given up their ticket to the biggest competition there is. It seems really unfair to say to a group of players who give up everything and train constantly to represent their country that all of a sudden that they now have to jump through hoops even though they earned their place legitimately.

14. seal

seal FHF Legend

They may have earned there place in the eyes of FIH, but its SASOC that provide the funding and accreditation for them to go to the Olympics, this happens a lot with South Africa sport, where teams qualify for events, but the committees make them jump through additional hoops. It's almost as if these committees hope they fall at the first hurdle therefore they don't have to cut off funding. At the end of the day there is only so much money to go around.

15. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

Personally I'm really happy because of progress of polish women team which managed to get this qualification place;) It's really important for them...

16. alex.miles

alex.miles FHF Star Player

Beijing Olympics
    • Men
      • (POOL) ESP: 0-5
      • (POOL) AUS: 0-10
      • (POOL) GBR: 0-2
      • (POOL) PAK: 1-3
      • (POOL) CAN: 3-5
      • (11-12) CHN 3-4
    • Women
      • (POOL) NED: 0-6
      • (POOL) CHN: 0-3
      • (POOL) AUS: 0-3
      • (POOL) ESP: 0-1
      • (POOL) KOR: 2-5
      • (11-12)NZL: 1-4
    Men went 0-6, -22 goal diff
    Women: 0-6, -19 goal diff
    That's fairly embarrassing... Wouldn't you rather make sure your team(s) is/are ready for the Olympics? Wouldn't want to get slaughtered like that again...

17. Wikileats

Wikileats FHF Top Player

It's no less embarrassing than GB getting beat 8-1 by a team we are one ranking place below. These things happen. On a different day that scoreline could quite easily have been reversed.

In fact, take out the Aus game and that's not embarrassing at all.

18. alex.miles

alex.miles FHF Star Player

One match proves very little, 6 on the other hand is more of a trend...

8/12 of the matches (3 men + 5 women) they lost by 3+ goals. They came last place in both competitions (women lost that match by 3 goals in fact!). How is that not embarrassing?

19. Wikileats

Wikileats FHF Top Player

Losing by three goals is nothing. At that level you can make three little mistakes and be down by as many in the space of a few minutes. For all you know they could have played out of their skin for the rest of the game. The scorelines tell a very one dimensional story. I've played in a three nil loss and I've also played in a 4-1 where we played the other team off the park and just couldn't finish, both this season. Neither of which I was embarrassed about because for periods of both games we, as a team, played as good as or better than our opposition.

Also how else are teams supposed to get the necessary experience? The CC won't do it. They're not in the CT.....so other than the World Cup or the Olympics they're not left with much other than friendlies, and not all friendlies are against full national sides playing for some sort of extrinsic (and intrinsic I suppose) motivation.

Disregarding all of that...SA women's spot has gone to Poland if Gocu is correct, and all respect to Poland, I'm pretty sure they will face a similar if not worse fate, so what then should we do? Only take 11 teams? Withdraw any team that loses by 3 goals or more...because quite frankly we'd rather they didn't bother? It would very soon be a competition consisting of 1 or 2 teams.

20. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

the way South African sport is run at the moment I think the decision would have gone a different way if the majority of players in the team were not white. I'm sure they wouldn't have made their football / soccer team go through an extra round of qualification.