Which gear? OBO Hi-Rebound or Hi-Control

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by DannyDoubleH, Aug 30, 2017.

1. DannyDoubleH

DannyDoubleH FHF Newbie

Hey guys, pretty big topic for me because I can't seem to find the answer from previous threads. I am keeper who is active within the D who like to command and clear it before potential danger from secondary balls occur. Therefore, I need to be mobile, but I also need good protection. I can't decide between the Hi-Rebound or Hi-Control keeper kits.

I'll be treating myself to a full new kit before the season starts so could do with some advice. Aside from heading over to Barringtons in the next week or so to try some kit on and see how it feels in person, I wondered if anyone here has used either one or the other and wouldn't mind sharing their opinions of the kit.

Cheers in advance

2. Scary001

Scary001 FHF Reserve Player

Without doubt the best advice I could give would be HR Pads and HC kickers. Hi rebound kickers might just last you a season depending on how you play and how often you play as they wear quickly. Work on your power and direction through your technique as just kit alone will not give you good clearance skills. HC kickers will give you the protection you need the rest is up to you. HR pads will not take the punishment that kickers take and therefore will not demonstrate the wear that the kickers will and you will of course gain some advantage from their increased rebound. Best of luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Stephen65

Stephen65 FHF Legend

Would definitely go for HR pads and, if you want the best rebound, HR kickers. My thoughts on HR kicker wear:

- I play/train 3 times a week during the season and 1 day a week during summer hockey. Our home ground is hybrid and the grounds we play on are mostly hybrid with some water and sand based.

- I get about two years worth of use out of a set of HR kickers before I think they are starting to noticeably wear/feel thinner and I replace them.

4. keeper2234

keeper2234 FHF Starter

I have used the Hi-Rebound Legguards and Kickers for 2 seasons and I have played probably about 4 seasons worth of hockey in those 2 seasons as I have been playing 5-6 sessions a week with 4 or 5 trainings and 3 games. It was a lot of hockey as I was in a Club, School and Regional Rep team so I had all those trainings and games to go to. So to the point the Legguards are in fine condition just wrinkles from diving etc. However the kickers are beginning to wear and I have started to take shots on my toes as the kickers have worn away, partly due to my technique but also with playing so much. I would recommend Hi-Rebound Legguards 100% but I have no experience with the Hi-Control kickers so that's up to you.

5. asahartz

asahartz FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Slazenger SZR Aero 160
    HR LGs will last you ages - mine are into their 8th season at least. Kickers of any description wear faster, though my daughter's HRs are in their 3rd season and still good, and she's a very active keeper. Myself, I found I was feeling the shots through HRs after two seasons, and bought HCs. I could feel the shots through these after 6 months, even though they are harder-wearing (we have some big hitters at the club). I bought Monarch GCP01 kickers instead and they are fantastic, though I know already they won't last as long.

6. Stephen65

Stephen65 FHF Legend

I agree with this. I'm on my third set of HR LGs in the last 15 or so years and I really could still be using the second set but I wanted to change colour. Obo HR LGs last for ages.

7. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

I loved my HC leg guards and definitely found them easier to move around in.

Now I'm older and slower, I find the HR suit me better. I'd happily recommend both, though. :)

8. AnnGoalie

AnnGoalie FHF Starter

What kind of pitch do you play on?
    'Cause I have had HR kickers this past season, brand new, training 2x on sand pitch, 1 time on water or hybrid (varying) each week and then a game on Sunday varying between sand/water/hybrid pitches. Now my kickers are in pretty bad shape, barely lasting a season. It is partially due to the sand pitch but also because of the hits (I play in our first ladies team but I tend to train once a week or every two weeks with our no. 1 and 2 gents teams). I am quite the runner, but I need the rebound to get the ball away. Luckily my club gets me all the parts I need (new) for my kit, but if they would not, then I would have gone for HC. Though I like the rebound of the HR better.
    HC feels more protective; especially comparing HR/HC after a season, due to its harder shell. Also (especially on our sand pitch) they last longer, wearing less than HRs. It will definitely save you money, if you do not mind to spend the money however I would advice HR because it does make a difference.
    Legguards: I do not think the wear is a lot different between HR and HC if I look at our different club kits (they both last pretty damn long :p ), I do know that some goalies find:
    HC legguards less bulky and thus easier for running and sliding in your D.
    HR legguards better for stand-up goalkeeping, more surface, better rebound.
    I think HC legguards are easier to move in as well butt I do prefer HR even though I move and slide a lot, it is just easier to get the ball away. I do think they are a bit bulky which is why I used cloud for indoor goalkeeping, maybe that's also because I am a bit small and thin.
    All in all; my gut would say that if you want strong protective gear which you can easily move around in, but you do not necessarily need a lot of rebound (the rebound from HC is fine as well, comparable to cloud I think, maybe a bit better), then HC would be better. But both kits are very decent! HC is a bit more wallet friendly.