Obo arm guards

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Bobolinhio, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Bobolinhio

Bobolinhio FHF Starter

Not going to be a great thread starter and I think the last time I posted on here was several years ago. However I feel that the only people that will truly appreciate this beauty will be other goalkeepers.

This also brings up an interesting issue with obo robo arm guards. This impact was from a short corner save. Straight strike, didn't get my left hand down and the ball caught me just between the plastic plate of the forearm and the elbow cup. Just goes to show that even if you do opt for full arm protection the ball will always find a way to hurt you. Balls simply hate goalies.

I've since changed from the obo arms to the reebok elbow pads as they seem to offer better protection to the elbow itself.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place by the way but I didn't think it really fit in the kit section. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

Imagine what your arm would look like if you had been wearing nothing.

3. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

its impossible to protect every inch and still being able to move.
    I've considered going dutch and dropping my robo arm guards because of the heat here. did so for a friendly on a 3/4 size pitch
    bbut as soon as the league started I went back to them. havnt taken a hit yet but want that extra security

4. Snoody

Snoody FHF All Time Great

Jeez... I've had a few purple ones, but nothing that size.
    Hope you're 100% again.

As you say, no matter what you wear, the ball will find the gaps.
    But am still considering going Dutch this season. Fingers crossed there won't be any of these...

5. DoubleR

DoubleR FHF Regular Player

Unlucky!!!! Get some ice on that!!!

Hope it is just a bruise and you're back making saves with all limbs in no time!

6. Ninja GK

Ninja GK FHF Starter

Aw just rub a little dirt on it and get back in the game! We're all invincible.

7. Bobolinhio

Bobolinhio FHF Starter

I was out for three weeks although wasn't really right again for a month and a half.

I've always been very happy with the obo arms, good movement and forearm protection. I made the move to the elbowpads mainly to facilitate the use of the SP right hand plus I have particularly boney elbows and have always been a bit worried about the relatively soft protection around parts of the elbow that the obos afford.

Of course having made the move to the reeboks I'm now waiting for the ball to find a new spot to punish, the inside of the bicep strikes me as a prime candidate.

8. Jonty

Jonty FHF Legend

Bobo - just make sure you wear the Reebok's on the wrong arms. This will feel odd at first but will afford better protection to the inside of your bicep (where you're more likely to cop one in field hockey, as opposed to ice that these are designed for, where you'll be bashed on your outer arm).

Worn like this the only exposed areas are the outside of your arm, and a line down the top of your bicep; get hit here and you'll bruise a treat but shouldn't do much damage as it's just muscle exposed. Happened to me a couple of times and I haven't had to miss any of the game, let alone subsequent matches.

I must confess though, I'm a big fan of the 5Ks (but the new OBOs look good) :)

9. Bobolinhio

Bobolinhio FHF Starter

Cheers Jonty, I gave that a go on a recent tour to Holland and it seemed the way forward. I'm wearing the paired with the much debated Mercian shoulder caps and obo robo body armor with the frankly second rate shoulder protection cut off ( I could never get mine to sit down over my shoulder properly even after having the stuff for over a season). Seems to give me protection in all the right places.

An interesting point actually, what do people think about logging in the reeboks? I've found that the size of the elbow cups prevent my shoulder getting down onto the floor. Obviously this gap can be covered with the left hand but it will take a bit of a technique change. Anyone had any experience of this?

10. mifoden

mifoden FHF Regular Player

Yeah, I noticed this problem in my first few matches with these elbow guards. However, I found you soon just start instinctively twisting the arm to make sure it's flat - not to any degree that it's uncomfortable or anything, it's still a natural position. TBH, I'd say trying to get you're left hand across to cover it is good technique anyway, as not only does it protect you're right arm better, you have greater control over what happens to the ball (i.e trap slightly away from the body for a clearance by the defender/deflections around the post/ covering any bobbles over the arm)

11. Jonty

Jonty FHF Legend

I'd agree. Your arm will naturally 'twist' to accommodate the bulge on the elbow cup; much like your fist rotates when using a HR RHP when logging.

12. jackogara

jackogara FHF Starter

/\ Thats put me off using OBO are gards! :rolleyes: /\