New Zealand - Pants!

Discussion in '2008 Beijing Olympics' started by jamesev, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ausdrexler

ausdrexler FHF Regular Player

I know dumb decisions get made, these people are after all only human. Still makes you wonder sometiems the logic behind some decisions, but at the end of the day the players and teams know the rules and conditions going in, so cant really complain when the Td makes a decision absed on the facts presented.

2. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

I don't think this is a better approach otss :eek:oh:

3. Su*x

Su*x FHF Regular Player

stop winding keely up!
    :p

our club has decided that if people want to wear skins under their t-shirts because of the cold that the skins must be the same colour as their outer t shirt!
    so when we're playing in blue must wear blue skins, and when in white, must wear white skins...
    seemed daft to me (and i am on the management committee!)
    but some of the older management said it would look unprofessional to not have matching colours...

defo bureocracy gone mad at our colour!
    you would think they would prefer to have players who are warm and not getting hypothermia, than matching clothes?

4. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

The Federation here has a similar rule. Almost all shirts these days are short sleeved, so when - during winter - you wear longsleeved ones under the regular shirt, the sleeves have to be the same colour.

5. The Doctor

The Doctor FHF Regular Player

Ken Read, the TD in question in this situation is incidentally an experienced barrister and QC in Hobart, Australia (and a former international GK, having played in the net for Australia at the very first champions trophy). Although he would be the first person to admit he enjoys being involved in the international tournaments, I can promise you that if he wanted a "gravy train", he'd be much better off staying at home and doing his normal job. No TD would make such a decision lightly knowing full well ramifications of it. However....

To me, the situation here is clear:
    1) This is the premier hockey competition in the world
    2) All umpires, ball boys and most importantly players are expected to be professional
    3) There are rules to govern this, including uniforms
    4) If there are no punishments when the rules are broken, there is no point having the rules
    5) The team broke the rule, were warned, broke the rule again, were punished. Yes, they may not have had time to change the uniform, but given that this wasn't stated in the defence (they stated that he didn't have alternative colour undershorts to wear) I doubt whether that was really the issue.
    6) The punishment was mild. When this kind of thing happens in some sports the teams get fined thousands of dollars

I don't think the same standard should necessarily apply to club competitions as the Olympics! Incidentally, I can confirm that the TD in question wears skins under his shorts when he plays, but then, his club wears black shorts, so I guess that would be ok. I can also promise you that he will be getting a lot of jokes about this for the next four years or so from his team mates....

6. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

Rules is rules folks

It's like school uniform rules - they tell you tuck your shirt in, you don't tuck it in, you get caught again, you get detention! (or i did anyway!) Seems an over-reaction to something petty... but rules is rules!

7. The Doctor

The Doctor FHF Regular Player

And then the Germans did it too! Actually his decision in the german case was quite funny, to paraphrase "I don't understand why you people can't follow simple instructions, if you keep doing this clearly I'm going to have to just beat some sense into you..."

8. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

You've promoted me there K: I'm on the EHF technical list, not the FIH one; but thanks for fighting my corner while I was away.

otss, next time I've given up four or five days of my annual leave (that I could have spent with my family), paid a share of my transportation costs, and endured sharing a room in a budget hotel in the industrial outskirts of an Eastern European town with a complete stranger (who snores like a b*stard thus limiting me to no more than 3 or 4 hours sleep on any given night), so that I can play my part in helping 8 hockey teams benefit from a well-organised, well-run tournament, I'll be sure to remember that I'm "swanning around at your expense", "staying in a flash hotel", and that I "don't know the rules", despite 20 years of umpiring, 14 at English National League level and eventual promotion to the FIH Indoor panel. Please be careful with sweeping generalisations. They're often inaccurate.

Doctor, great posts. Thank you.

9. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

I actually took a team to a European tournament. We followed all the rules and phoned to check with the TD the colours that we and the opposition had to play in.
    Opposition turned up in a different colour, said the one that they had asked to play in was still wet.
    My team was told to change. I and my manager had ensured the kit was washed and dried over night, and both teams stayed in the same hotel.

I had to send one of the bench in a taxi to get our change kit. He arrived late and we got fined.
    Rules are rules but only applied to the small nations, and that has been my experience.
    It was asad episode but will never be forgotten by all involved.

The official in charge was rude and offensive, i have never trusted an official at an European tournament since.
    We always now bring two full change kits.

10. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Well I hope that I'll be able to gain your trust if we're ever at a tournament together Grumpy.

11. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Lucky you getting that much sleep and feeling tournaments well organised.

Normally accomadation of a lower standard for the teams, i am sorry but in the large number of tournaments i have attended the officials do have better accomadation.
    I know of one tournament which had teams in a caravan park with vermin runnning around and absolutely no help from officials to get the players moved.

The unfortunate thing is, that the perception from all is that the other participating people/players/officials are getting a better deal/accomadation than the players/coaches/physios.

So i will be very pleased if you can change my view