New Zealand - Pants!

Discussion in '2008 Beijing Olympics' started by jamesev, Aug 17, 2008.

1. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

Not an assessment of New Zealnad, but I have just read the TD decision. NZ had Black clothing under their alt white one.

In the match New Zealand v China on the 17th August 2008 3 New Zealand players – Child, B Shaw and Hopping had clearly visible black shorts beneath the white shorts. In its previous match the same occurred and the New Zealand Manager Kevin Marr was spoken to by the ATD in relation to this.

A breach of rule 7.2. However deemed a bit harsh to suspend the player so the Manager has been suspended for the next match. I shall be enforcing this rule this season in all the 4th team games I umpire. *chuckle*

2. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

The NZ manager has been suspended one game for this.

I honestly don't know what to think of this. It just seems so insignificant.

Thoughts?

3. keely

keely FHF Legend

It seems trivial, like most of the tournament regulations would be but it's about neatness of appearance. When white shorts get wet, the colour worn underneath shows through dramatically. The regulation is clear, it only applies to the Olympics, and the manager was warned prior to this match and didn't bother to address it.

For anyone wanting to review the original decision, go to TD Decision - New Zealand (M).

4. TOTC

TOTC FHF Regular Player

It's kind of thing that would only happen in Pennsylvania (where swimmers are routinely disqualified for "not wearing the team suit"). It's a miracle a clothing challenge hasn't determined a playoff game that I know of in the last 14 years I have followed the PIAA field hockey tourney.

5. geriverstik50

geriverstik50 FHF Regular Player

The TD caught short(s) ?

6. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

hahahhaahhaahahahahahahha

no wait, there's more.....

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This is just the most ridiculous thing I have heard all year... Beaurocracy gone mad!! lol

7. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

we are told not to wear bicykle shorts and simular when we play for the nationalteam if its not in the same colour as the shorts i think its in the tournament regulations for the european championships as well but i doubt that anyone would get suspended for it

8. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

however petty it seems, if the manager had been warned and still didn't take action... then the authorities can't really just let it go without taking any action.

9. keely

keely FHF Legend

Exactly. Everyone, keep in mind the players were not punished as the TD recognized that would be disproportionate - it was the manager who was suspended.

10. otss

otss FHF Top Player

When you swan around at our expense (as hockey players paying fees) staying in flash hotels etc these FIH officials have to find something to pick up on. The don't know the rules when it comes to important tings like PS comp's (ref previous WC qualifiers involving Ireland) but great on the pedantic stuff.

Funniest - We had an FIH judge who decieded (after coming back from a overseas tourney) to do a bow check at National Masters. She ok'd an Easton stick to be played with as the bow was less than 25mm, didn't matter that Easton's had been banned for over 10 years !!!

11. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

what..?

*sits back and waits for the fireworks*

12. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Have also just heard from a team member that the reason for the black under garments was because they were only told to change uniforms a few minutes before the game when the officials thought red and black would clash - more advanced thinking from the blazer brigade

13. keely

keely FHF Legend

Oh yes, absolutely. When we use up all our vacation time or give up income to volunteer to officiate as umpires and technical officials at international tournaments we're literally sleeping on beds of money extorted from the world's club players, being hand-fed caviar as we lounge about in between our glamorous escapades running matches which are constantly met with showers of appreciation from the players, coaches and spectators.

And for the thousands of international matches which have occurred in the last decade, there must be dozens of examples of manifest incompetence like the mistake made at the WCQ like otss pointed out. And I'm sure redumpire could tell you all about how technical officials just all sit around and have a laugh, deciding which little regulation they're going to trip someone up with next, while dismissing any mistake they make as a good bit of fun. Hilarious!

Given how incredibly luxuriant and cushy the life of the international official is, it's astounding there aren't thousands of people lining up to get their own chance at these fantastic holidays!

14. geriverstik50

geriverstik50 FHF Regular Player

Thought so.

Anybody would think you were paranoid keely.....

...actually we're just out to get you :growl:

15. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Keely - Chill out - i'm talking about TD's and the Blazer brigade not umpires

16. keely

keely FHF Legend

Honestly, and all facetiousness aside, I don't see why it's ok to be rude about technical officials but not umpires. It's part of the same attitude, "us vs. them", and how "they" are so terrible, that you hear from some players and coaches regarding umpires. Umpires and technical officials are part of the same team. We work closely together at international events particularly to provide the competitors a level playing field.

There are a few abuses as with any area of our sport. There are people who make mistakes. However, overwhelmingly, technical officials work very hard to do their best for even far less reward than umpires. They are graded on their performances and promoted and demoted on the basis of their grades and the reports authored by the TD.

I haven't umpired a single penalty stroke competition since the Ireland v Lithuania debacle where the order of stroke takers for the second round hasn't been mentioned. A terrible lesson learned.

otss, you said outright that the "Blazer Brigade" (a thoroughly derogatory term) "don't know the rules when it comes to important tings [sic] like PS comp's (ref previous WC qualifiers involving Ireland) but great on the pedantic stuff", and implied that their presence at tournaments is no more than an extravagant boondoogle. I believe that's completely unfair and have no problem in pointing that out to forum members taking pot shots while posting under pseudonyms.

Honestly, would you say what you did to redumpire's face knowing that he's an FIH technical official?

Think about it.

17. otss

otss FHF Top Player

I have been to a great many international tournaments and I still struggle to see why the vast majority of TD's , delegates etc are necessary. Are you saying that in all your time going to FIH tournaments you don't believe that their are people who are just riding the gravey train. Yes of course there are very hard working TD's who are doing it for the love of the sport and make great sacrifices but there are others who don't. I struggle with those just the same as I struggle with umpires who like giving out cards and are pedantic. Thats my opinion, I'm not goign to change that though acknowledge that they are sweeping statements and may upset others.

To suspend a manager from the sidleines for an important game with the circumstances and back ground of uniform changes is still wrong and unnescessary in my opinion.

18. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Correct me if I am wrong, keely (as if you need to be told ;) ), but I assume that all the TDs are well-qualified umpires, with (fairly) recent international experience?
    Hardly the 'old duffers' we used to see around a lot whose international experience was from the days when Pontius was a pilot :)
    (Although, in such a large comp, a few 'gravy-trainers' will always sneak-through!)

As has been said, cock-ups do, inevitably, happen...especially in a tournament which is held so infrequently , and never twice in the same location. And occasionally an 'official' loses his/her 'sense of proportion'.

But, even at the Olympics, it's still only a game :)

BTW, it was in NZ, in the 70s, where I was, for the first and only time, given a bollocking for turning-up to iumpire 'improperly-dressed' lol (IIRC....and I probably don't... umpires were, in those days, expected to wear all-white....as a new arrival from Pom-land I was unaware of this!)....it's Karmic Law!

19. Wassie

Wassie FHF Legend

Anyone ever see that movie "Heartbreak Ridge". Remember what happened each day when the recruits rolled up in a shirt not the same as Clint Eastwood? NZ should know the rules and come prepared. This is the most important competition on the field hockey calendar not a hit in the park. What happens if you turn up to play at Wimbledon wearing other than white?

20. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

Couldn't agree more with both Keeley and OTSS (?) TD's as a group do an increadable job in the most trying of circumstances and, at the hights that I would ascend to if I could, I'm sure there are a few that are pedantic old sods who shouldn't be there. Hockey may be just a game at any level but nationalism does contribute to the percieved importance of minor decisions that may have a major outcome. perhaps old TD's need to learn to take a step back and think about what is happenning instead of being rushed into decisions that they may well regret later. Thinking about it, maybe that is what we should all be doing!!!

ANIMAL