New rule introduction

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by CardWaver, Aug 14, 2012.

1. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I don't understand the concern about the time frame in England. There are two new rules:

1. Own goals.
    2. Lifts allowed straight from free hits.

Those are easy to understand and implement. There will be no other fundamental changes according to the FIH press release, so let's just get on with it.

2. JoshRobbino

JoshRobbino FHF Top Player

So these will be implemented on September 1st? We would umpiring as normal until then (I.E. without the new additions)?

3. Hockeyfish

Hockeyfish FHF All Time Great

Josh if it's a friendly then both teams will likely want to play the new rules won't they?

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

... like we did for the entire summer of 2009.

Another thought: many leagues (particularly women's) collect match sheets listing time/play/scorer of each goal. I wonder what they want us to put for 'own goals': just the fact that it was OG (no scorer), or the defender's name as scorer, or (as before) the last attacker to play it?

5. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

I don't see an issue with introducing the new rules for the 1st September at all really....pre-season has begun, so teams should have enough friendlies before the season to get used to them....

The one issue remains is will the stick bow rule be filtered down to all leagues as of the 1st or as my previous posts suggested, will it more likely be 1st Jan..?? Saw nothing in the Oxfordshire news release about it....

6. redumpire

FHF Moderator

I think this needs clarifying too, though it shouldn't be a concern for the umpires.

In my view we should record the last attacker to play the ball if s/he played it in the circle and we should only record OG where it has not been touched by an attacker. My reason for this is that judging whether a defender's touch is an OG or simply a deflection that had little impact is often too tough a judgement call to make. The (English) Premier League has a 'dubious goals panel' to decide on these kind of issues. We don't have the infrastructure in place to go down that route in hockey...

7. Hockeyfish

That smells very much like a 'ask the competition organisers' question to me.

The Essex women's league requires green cards to be recorded - along with the reasons for giving them!

I agree with Red's instinct, that a deflection of a legitimate shot that was going in anyway should not count as an own goal. Only instances where the goal couldn't have been scored without the defender's touch should count as an oggie.

Though, as a right winger, I like the idea that I can slam a ball at the near post from outside the circle and still possibly get my name on the score sheet!

8. duncedunce

duncedunce FHF Starter

But surely that would be a 'goal [that] couldn't have been scored without the defender's touch', and so an OG?

9. freebird

freebird FHF All Time Great

I just hope this information is widely circulated, to all clubs and all umpires digest.

As most of you know I do like to play for our 5s/6s outfield when I can for a bit of a run about. There is nothing more infuriating that umpires at this level not knowing up-to-date rules!

10. Hacker

Hacker FHF Legend

Well give up playing that low down the Yorks leagues and the problem will be solved!!

11. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Ever the optimist Mr Fish!!

12. Hockeyfish

I agree. I was responding to the last sentence of Diligents post I had quoted. Sorry for any confusion!

13. duncedunce

duncedunce FHF Starter

Don't worry. I'm easily confused!

14. freebird

freebird FHF All Time Great

I can't just go for a run around the block though... Playing a game of hockey (outfield) combats that problem... Although umpires don't help that

15. redumpire

FHF Moderator

I have it on good authority that the following process will be adopted by EHB for recording goal scorers, where appropriate, which Is in line with current practice in the Euro Hockey League:

To record the name of the last attacker who touched the ball as goal scorer if the ball did not exit the circle after being played by an attacker even though subsequently played/touched by a defender. If the ball was not touched by an attacker since entering the circle, it will be recorded for the attacking team (ie as an OG) but not attributed to a particular defender.