New rule introduction

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by CardWaver, Aug 14, 2012.

1. CardWaver

CardWaver FHF Reserve Player

I am reliable told that we are awaiting formal notification of the 2013 rules being introduced in just 17 days time, nothing like a bit of notice .... discuss !
    Cardwaver

2. Corcaigh

Corcaigh FHF Regular Player

In the USA they are being adopted immediately for USAFH and NCAA ... so this Saturday for me as an umpire. I wonder if the coaches and players are aware.

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Yep, CardWaver it's true. There's a news article about it on the NPUA website: www.npua.co uk. EHB announcement imminent.

I also understand that the new indoor rules will not be introduced in England until the 2013/14 season. May cause problems for our clubs in Europe if EHF decide to adopt the new rules for the Feb 2013 competitions, which is, I imagine, highly likely.

4. keely

keely FHF Legend

5. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Seems a bit odd that EHB have said yes to bring the new outdoor rules in on 1st Sept 2012 and then leave the indoor until 2013/1.

Hmmm!

6. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Incredible! EHB are planning to use rules before they are published!!
    Why the unseemly haste?

7. Gilly

Gilly FHF Legend

Because that's when our outdoor season starts.

If we want to use only one set of rules for each season (which seems a reasonale ask) we need to either a) be an early adopter or b) a late adopter.

As a body of umpires we are primarily dictated to by the player's organisation in this context and they don't want our International teams potentially going into competitions with no experience of the rules in operation.

So we have to bear the brunt of the learning exercise for the rest of the world!

8. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

What Gilly said!! ;)

9. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Reasonable desire Gilly, but what if the rules are not exactly as expected?;)
    And the desires of your international players?
    Not knowing the English hockey organisation, but don't the ( majority of) internationals play under slightly modified rules at top level?

10. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

We have weathered this one before. For 2011 Rules, FIH announced main changes at the start of August 2010, published the pdf on the web on 12th October, with printed books reaching local associations a week or so later. In spite of that, hockey in England survived several weeks after 1 September playing hockey to a best guess at what the rules would be. We weren't far out. I'm sure we will manage OK this time.

Better than the Southern Hemisphere challenge with 2009 Rules, which were delayed from the usual Aug/Sep date to April 2009, with the self-pass and major change to attacking free hits appearing as the new season started. They seemed to do remarkably well. England had the luxury of summer league to iron out the wrinkles.

2007/08 Rules were actually published on 15 Aug 2006, but I recall that England waited until the FIH date of 1 Jan 2007, and switched to new rules mid-season. Main change then was the new GK options.

11. CardWaver

CardWaver FHF Reserve Player

That was sort of my point that they are being implemented with little or no notice and as dilligent said we had summer leagues to iron out the actual practice in 2009, it just slightly perplexes me when all the releases to date talked about will probably be implemented, likely to etc..... surely EHB knew of the changes afoot and could have said that whatever was finally decided they would cetainly be implemented in Sept 2012 or is that assuming someone is actually planning these things. through :rolleyes:

12. Hockeyfish

Hockeyfish FHF All Time Great

How much notice do you need? Even English National League clubs who have been pre-season training for a few weeks already still have plenty of time to 'adjust', as the domestic league doesn't start for another month. Any player who needs more than a month to learn what the rules changes mean for them are frankly not intelligent enough to play at a higher level, in which case they won't have picked up their stick for the new season yet!

13. Corcaigh

Corcaigh FHF Regular Player

These rules are simple enough that a trial period isn't necessary. Interpretation of the indoor rule change may be another matter.

14. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Fish, harsh but fair!! :D

15. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

Is this likely to happen for the UK leagues for the start of the new season? ie own goals, direct lifts from free hits and the stick bow rule that is only currently at top level to be used throughout all competitions?

My belief was the stick ruling was due to come into force for all UK comps around Jan?

16. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Yes, as Red has pointed out.

17. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

18. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

This is still under discussion as the rules come into force Jan 2013 worldwide, ie. Associations MUST implement them then.

We have plenty of time before indoor season, so lets see what happens..

Regarding the new outdoor rules.. saturday is my first look at them in a friendly game.. Sure there wont be any problems.

19. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

Oxfordshire HUA have just received an email from EHB sent at 17:20 today, announcing the "changes". I'm sure they dont mind me quoting it in full (- it has been sent to a hidden distribution list.)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Dear all,

The International Hockey Federation (FIH) have announced new rules which will come into effect in England on 1st September 2012. Full details of their announcement are below:

Rules of Hockey
    Based on recommendations from the FIH Rules Committee, the FIH Executive Board has agreed changes to the Rules of Hockey.

Changes to the Rules of Hockey (with reference to the numbered Rules in the 2011 edition) are as follows:

Rule 8.1: method of scoring. The way a goal is scored is amended; it now includes what is sometimes referred to as an “own goal”. That is, a goal can now be scored after the ball is touched in the circle by either an attacker or a defender. It is anticipated that the detailed text will read:
    8.1 A goal is scored when:
    a the ball is played by an attacker, or touches the stick or body of a defender, within the circle
    b after either of these actions, the ball does not travel outside the circle before passing completely over the goal-line and under the cross-bar.
    This is described as a “Mandatory Experimental Rule” so that it applies at all levels of hockey but, because it is a significant change, it will be monitored closely. After a period of review, the FIH Rules Committee will decide whether or not it becomes a permanent change to the Rules.

Rules 13.2.d and e: procedures for taking a free hit, centre pass and putting the ball back into play. The ball may now be raised intentionally and directly using a push, flick or scoop action; this action must be conducted safely. This is essentially an evolution of what is known as the “self-pass” from a free hit. By having the option to raise the ball immediately, opposing players will not have had the opportunity to get closer than five metres; a raised ball should be safer. It is anticipated that Rules 13.2 d and e will read:
    d the ball is moved using a hit, push, flick or scoop
    e the ball may be raised immediately using a push, flick or scoop but must not be raised intentionally using a hit.

Rules 13.2.f and g: as a consequence of the changes above, these Rules have been deleted.

The FIH have indicated that new Rules books incorporating these changes will be available in the autumn

Could you please pass details of the these changes to your members as soon as possible.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

20. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Yes, those are the changes FHF has been discussing since June 29th.