Which gear? New gear at a decent price (in dollars)???

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by the_goalie_48, Sep 28, 2008.

1. the_goalie_48

the_goalie_48 FHF Starter

I've been searching for the past few weeks for goalie equipment. I'm trying to find good stuff that's still not really expensive, but I'm having NO luck. I have to keep the cost as low as possible, or I'll never be able to convince my parents, since I have stuff from my school (which is brand new, been used for about a month and a half and is already falling apart-I've had to exchange kickers since the bottoms were peeling off and both legguards are ripping). But I'm looking to play at a higher level and I know that would require my own equipment anyway.

So does anyone have any suggestions/reccomendations on which brand and where to purchase it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Jess :)

2. keely

keely FHF Legend

Jess, I assume you're American (it's good to include details like that, as shipping is a significant issue for GK gear) so I would suggest you check out:

I'm sure the GKs here will be able to give you advice as to non-retail sources (i.e. second-hand) of gear and what you can look for in stretching your dollars as far as possible. Good luck. :)

3. garli

garli FHF Staff

Yeah, Jess where do you play? When do you want the gear by?

4. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Jess, where did your school get the kit from, and what make is it?

5. DoubleR

DoubleR FHF Regular Player

Hockey Factory Shop have opened a USA website - in the UK Hockey Factory Shop offers some of the best prices available, so their USA website should be a port of call for you.

6. Jonty

Jonty FHF Legend

I assume that because of the difference in popularity, ice hockey gear can be picked up cheaper than field hockey gear (new and second hand).

While this doesn't solve all of your problems, it should mean that you can spend less on non-foam items (helmet, shorts, BA, elbows).

7. the_goalie_48

I play for Perk Vally High School, its a school in Pennsylvania, about an hour out of Philly.

I don't need to have it by a certain date. Just getting it would be good. I'm tyring to convince my parents to make it a combined Christmas/birthday present, but I don't think they're going for it.

The school's kit is a Slazenger kit. It's all black, and I can't find it anywhere else- it's not in the Longstreth catalogue or their website. I don't know where they got it, but probably Longstreth, since we're only like a 20-minute drive.

I hadn't given a ton of thought to ice hockey equipment, but I'll look into it.

Haha, when I first started searching, I came across the Hockey Factory Shop. I told my mom that they had "great prices!" not realizing that they were in a different currency. :rolleyes:

8. dannythegoalie

dannythegoalie FHF Regular Player

You should definitely look into ice hockey kit, and as you are in America it might be even easier. If you go to a load of ice hockey clubs and ask them if they have any old/used kit you could buy, I think you could get the Pelvic Guard, Shorts, Body Armour, Arm Protectors for maybe just under $100. With the helmet, I think you should go for an Itech one, as they are not as expensive as OBO's but are still really good. Then with Kickers, Legguards and Hand protectors I would go with the Gryphones for Longstreth as they look like Best Value for money in your price range and could be played with at very high levels. And also obviously with the overshorts and smock, just get really cheep XXL mens sports t-shirts and sports shorts

9. garli

garli FHF Staff

Danny, no way in the world could you get all that stuff for under 100 bucks used. Or close to 100 bucks used. Unless you've looked into used ice hockey equipment in america, where did you even get those numbers from?

Jess, honestly the prices are pretty close all across the board in this country. You can find some close out deals and some specials here and there, but it's not always a winning game to wait for them. I'd recommend the obo november sale if you can wait until then. If that doesn't work, your best bet would be to go to longstreth try things on and see what you can get with in your budget. Any time you can try something on before you buy it, it's a safer bet.

10. g9

g9 FHF Legend

Yes, I have to second Garli here....the ice hockey route is not going to be cheaper by any means. Longstreth is your best bet for trying on different brands out to see if you can come up with a best cost and performance balance. But why don't you prioritize what you really need and what you can continue to borrow for now to lessen the financial blow a bit? Helmet and foam maybe? Then add the body stuff later as funds allow?

Good luck....let us know how it all works out!

11. dannythegoalie

dannythegoalie FHF Regular Player

Sorry, have never owned kit so don't really know what cost is for Ice Hockey STuff

12. Jonty

Jonty FHF Legend

Really ??? that surprises me! I did only mean for the non-foam kit in my previous post, but suggested ice hockey for elbows and helmets as even in the UK ice hockey gear can be had cheaper than the field hockey equivalents (and ice hockey is not so popular here by comparison).

13. keely

keely FHF Legend

I think this is pretty much on topic...

I'm looking for a some similar advice on GK equipment - not where to source it but how to recommend a school go about saving money and prioritizing the items that need a good investment and are FH-specific. I'm used to dealing with GKs who know exactly what they want and are fairly high-level, so this is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

I've been contacted by a high school coach who is looking for a set of equipment for a Grade 7 (12-13 year-old) boy. We're in Canada so like
    the_goalie_48's situation, everything is quite ice hockey-oriented. This is what I've been asked:

Particularly for those GK's who have mixed in ice hockey protection, can I as Jonty suggested, steer them to ice hockey pants, helmet, body armor and elbow protection? I'm concerned that they say they have "hand protection", as I would guess that having a good RHP and LHB to be pretty important. Or is it at that level?

Do we place the highest priority on the kickers and leg guards? Would the purchase process ideally look something like this?

1. Kickers and leg guards - FH
    2. Helmet - IH/FH
    3. Shorts - IH/FH
    4. Body armour - IH/FH
    5. RHP/LHB - FH
    6. Elbow pads - IH/FH

I appreciate your suggestions. :)

14. Dan

Dan FHF Regular Player

Keely,

I'd generally agree with your priorities but move body armor down a notch. At that age, I didn't see my daughter take many shots in the air (other than wierd bounces off the grass since they rarely got to play on proper turf).

Kickers get the most use. Legguards get some use but at that level most have more than enough padding so it's more about sizing, comfort, and cost.

I think the big reason to go for ice hockey gear in North America is that you can find lots of stuff used. The price of new gear may not be less than FH gear but it's hard to find used FH stuff. A bit shows up on eBay but not much. For example, I bought an ice hockey chest protector used for US$50. Try finding FH armor (it includes arms, of course) that you'd wear for 80mph shots at that price!

Helmet is crucial but at that age I think most goalie masks work fine, even the plastic ones you see under US$100. A players helmet with full face cage can work nicely, too. But don't use a wraparound ice hokcey neck guard thinking it protects from a ball. There are no skates to slice you neck. A neck guard is important even if rarely used, especially at that age. And it should be hard, whether it;s a dangler or an armadillo version that fits above the chest protector.

Ice hockey girdles or goalie pants work but make sure it's really goalie gear. other players need pads to protect from body checks and they end up with more padding on the side and less up front where a goalie needs it. I'm a fan of wearing a cup since pants can move around and even if there was padding in the right place it may or may not be there when needed.

15. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
    Doesn't matter what age a helmet is the single most important piece of kit!

My ideal buying order would be (in importance of kit and most used parts of kit):

1. Helmet (should really be a FH one for that age! u18's must be protected properly!)
    2. Box
    3. Body Armour
    4. Kickers
    5. Leg guards
    6. Gloves
    7. Shorts
    8. Elbow protection if required

16. Jonty

Jonty FHF Legend

Keely

AFAIK, field hockey [FH] GK was derived from ice hockey [IH] GK gear, some still is but is repackaged as FH specific stuff (like the Mercian/Canada shorts).

I used to play in IH gear before I could afford FH specific equipment, to a reasonable standard and was always well protected. You tend to find IH gear offers more protection, if a little more cumbersome to move in.

You can't use IH kickers, legs or hand protectors, but everything else should be fine - so if you don't see high level keepers using gear that is foam, you can substitute it for IH equivalents.

I would say to spend the most money on helmet and kickers, as these are the most important for safety and will see the most use respectively. Then probably shorts and chest/BA protection followed by everything else.

Definitely don't need an expensive stick, any light one will do (GK, field or indoor).

If they just have a chestguard they should also get some shoulder protection, and possible elbow pads (again IH will do), but if you're getting all that may be better off getting full IH body armour (protects everything).

Probably a good idea for them to get their own groin guard (or just a normal box/cup/jockstrap at that level), but not protective shorts.

Finally, don't waste money on covershorts; XXL basketball shorts do the job and cost a fraction of the price. Can probably do the same for smocks too (I do), or use an IH smock.

Sorry if that's a bit rambling, but shout if you need anything else.

Jonty

17. vellnueve

vellnueve FHF Regular Player

You live 15 minutes away from Longstreth's retail store. Go there and they should be able to help you out. I think these would be directions from your school assuming my google-fu is working. Buying straight from them will save you on shipping costs, which can be high since foam is bulky.

1. Start at 509 GRAVEL PIKE, COLLEGEVILLE going toward GRATERFORD RD - go 0.5 mi
    2. Bear LEFT on BRIDGE ST - go 0.1 mi
    3. Turn LEFT on WARTMAN RD - go 2.1 mi
    4. Turn LEFT on N TOWNSHIP LINE RD - go 2.7 mi
    5. Bear RIGHT to take ramp onto US-422 W toward POTTSTOWN - go 1.7 mi
    6. Take the LINFIELD/LIMERICK exit onto N LEWIS RD toward ROYERSFORD/LINFIELD - go 0.4 mi
    7. Turn RIGHT on W LINFIELD RD - go 0.6 mi
    8. Continue on MAIN ST - go 1.5 mi
    9. Continue on LINFIELD RD - go 0.4 mi
    10. Turn RIGHT on NEW SCHUYLKILL RD(PA-724) - go 0.3 mi
    11. Turn LEFT on WELLS RD - go < 0.1 mi
    12. Arrive at 28 WELLS RD, POTTSTOWN, on the Left

In terms of new gear, they're about as good as your get pricing-wise, and they have more than just OBO.

If money is really, really an issue, wait til the OBO November sale.

18. DKLASSIG

DKLASSIG FHF Starter

MOst of the IH gear will be fine i think, but i have a problem with the padded shorts. Since most of the goalies in IH do that butterfly thing there is no padding on the inside of the legs. When you do split legs saves this opens up the un-protected area. (Trust me i know, several bruises each year till i got gryphon pants). Just somethingh to keep in mind, dont want people getting hurt. :no:

19. the_goalie_48

I may sound stupid asking this question, but...what's a 'box?'

20. g9

g9 FHF Legend

Something we ladies would refer to as a "pelvic protector" ... but the boy version! rofl