New age limit?

Discussion in '[ARCHIVE] Tournaments' started by BV16, Mar 5, 2017.

1. BV16

BV16 FHF Newbie

Something messed up my mind. Croatian Hockey Federation set up new age limit. So here in Croatia we have system like this: U9, U11, U13, U17 and U19 and seniors. Does this changes apply on International level or just CHF? Will tournament in Poland for boys will stay at U16 or??? I'm confused.

2. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

What individual associations do is their own business, and is not required to follow what FIH does.

What Croatia in particular does, is irrelevant to what Poland does, and vice versa.

It's a good idea to have national tournaments be at the same kind of age groups as the international, but no actual regulation to say they must.

3. BV16

BV16 FHF Newbie

Yes, but I'm talking about EuroHockey5s, Boys,2017 in Wałcz, not tournament that host some club.

4. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

Next time, saying what you mean instead of vague reference to a generic tournament, would be more helpful.

It doesn't change the answer though, because EuroHockey is not Polski Związek Hokeja na Trawie, and neither of them are Czech Hockey Federation. Countries can split their tournaments by age, by birth year, by gradations of 1000 days alive, or by height as at midday on April Fools. Won't change a thing about the international tournaments or the regulations that govern them.

BV16 likes this.
  5. BV16

BV16 FHF Newbie

Ok. Thank you

6. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

This is still under 16s. The changes you've mentioned must just apply to your country.

7. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

Maybe they changed just the names.

Sometimes U9 includes 9 years old+ some days just like U10 may exclude 10+ years old.

Usually there's limit for participation and the month of birth is not relevant - like in U9 it's permitted to play if you are born in 2008 or later.

Nice to hear we have FHF members from Croatia here! Wish you good luck in this EuroHockey tournament! Cheers from Bulgaria!

8. MikesDad

MikesDad FHF Top Player

I've long thought the whole age thing should be looked at for juniors. To have children with almost a whole year of age difference playing against each other is often great for the older children but can be very off putting for the younger ones. If a competition is for U14's, U16's etc then all players should be under the competition age when the tournament begins.

9. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

Given the OP is rather new here, that could possibly have been worded slightly more welcomingly.
    I know it's the Internet and everytime someone does something which someone doesn't like, they are generally abused and yelled at, we should be better than that.

steve likes this.
  10. Jake Harvey

Jake Harvey FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Gryphon Tour DII
    I'm gunna guess that his english isn't incredible, and thats why it came across like that. Cut the lad some slack! ;)

11. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

My experience of @Nij is that he writes as well as any of us. But it may be worth letting him answer.
    Not being from the UK is not a sound suggestion that your English may be inferior. Knowing how many of us on this sceptred Isle butcher our own language on a frequent and unforgiveable basis.

12. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Surely, however you cut it there are always going to children who could be almost 12 months apart in age in any annually-based age group? My son was born on 11/9/98. One of his best friends - who plays football with Joe in an U18 team this year - was born on 28/8/99, as the dates for that year run from 1/9/98 to 31/8/99. If you were move the cut-off dates there would still be children inside those dates who would be separated by 12 months?

Unless I'm missing your point completely...?

AJF likes this.
  13. MikesDad

MikesDad FHF Top Player

I think it is worth looking at the way the whole annually based age group system runs as there is an advantage in being born in Jan, Feb, March.

14. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

But there would be an advantage to those born in the first 2 or 3 months, wherever you drew the line, wouldn't there? What alternative is there?

15. MikesDad

MikesDad FHF Top Player

I'm sure coaches would not approve at all, but you could say that in an U16 competition, every player has to be under 16 no matter when in the year the competition was.

I'll do some digging when I get a chance to get some facts of DOB's and players in senior teams

16. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Don't think there is one. You'll always have some people right near the top of the age limit, and just over the top of the lower age limit.

Having age limits not be based on a set date range for all tournaments (e.g. 1/1 to 31/12 for hockey here), but instead being a variable date range based on the start of the tournament (e.g. 1/4 to 31/3 if the tournament starts in a few weeks, 1/12 to 30/11 for a pre-christmas tournament, and so on), that might remove the advantage to being born at the start of the age period. But it makes stuff logistically tougher, makes it harder to keep teams moving up as a group. It doesn't remove the advantage for something like the junior club season, that's the same start date every year across all age groups, and it introduces a different issue when different ages have different tournament dates, or tournament dates change a bit year to year. e.g. if it's july the year you turn 13, september the next year, and you're born in august, you get to play in the u13 tournament, but the following year you miss out on the u14 tournament

17. Jake Harvey

Jake Harvey FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Gryphon Tour DII
    Whoops, sorry, got confused, meant the OP not Nij!

18. two goal debut

two goal debut FHF Starter

In the UK I think school year is the only coherent way to go - you can't have an ever changing cut-off date according to tournament date as it'd be chaos.

The age gap difference is more pronounced when you have two years combined, due to numbers i.e. locally boys are combined at U12 to encompass U11 and U12 (there is no U11), whereas with the girls there are U11 and U12. The first time my older son played up an age group he was highly indignant about an opposition player probably 2.5 years older and 50% taller!

19. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

I have a 7 yr old playing u10 and an 8 yr Old at u12. Very much smaller than the oppo but that doesn't ever change even through to adult hockey. Encourages them to play up and always looking for improvement (maintaining the enjoyment). The difference does require good coaching and strong umpires so as not to let the pure physical advantage get in the way of playing hockey.

Also as an August child I was youngest in my class so at u18 almost a full 2 yrs difference on stepping up from u16. No bother just get on with it.

Also recall school year and calendar year cut offs applied in the past. Calendar year for junior international purposes I believe.

20. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

We've fielded boys for the first time this season. Our U12 team is U9-U12 and U10s U7s and U8s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk