Indoor Need Help = Indoor Short Corners

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Garry, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Garry

Garry FHF Starter

Anyone got some advice on how to handle a indoor shortie? I keep getting caught on the drag flick :growl:

cheers

2. mani

mani FHF Legend

Keep getting caught?
    where?

3. Garry

Garry FHF Starter

well every time I storm out to try slide the flicker he keeps flicking over me just out of reach of my gloves... any suggestions??

4. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

why dont you try not to rush out and slide?
    try to either run as far as you can before he starts to flick the ball and stop and try to save it or try to take just one or two steps out and react to the shot

5. Garry

Garry FHF Starter

Thanks I'll try that.. :)

6. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

Sliding at shorts indoor is worthles..

Try what Nic said and put 2 of your mates in the goal with masks so if the ball passes you it could then hit them so you could keep your goal dry.. :)

7. Garry

Garry FHF Starter

I'll see if I can find two guys insane enough! lol

8. LizGK

LizGK FHF Regular Player

i played my first indoor game this week and my coaches advice was...run out, keep running as that will block a straight strike and if they go to drag flick take a step to your left to protect the poor soul on the left post!

9. Garry

Garry FHF Starter

Haha thats some good advice your coach gave...

10. doesnt hurt

doesnt hurt FHF Starter

well it depends on how fast the attacking team is.
    but stoping at the straight line is good, and wait and see.
    you can knee down one leg (sort of) so that you can either react by jumping or sliding.
    and if you see that the attackers are quicker than you, than go as far as you can, stop and wait.
    but surrely, sliding on the attacker without thinking is bad choice

11. The.Rampage.Rado

Kneeling down isn't good either... I bet if you make 5 such PCs in a match you'll get hit there at least once.. :D

12. doesnt hurt

doesnt hurt FHF Starter

actually the knee is not facing in front of me, but in inside.
    exemple, left leg leading (pad facing attacker) the right leg is slittly behind, knee toward the left, so that if i finish my movement, my leg will be crossing from left to right.

i've tried it a few times, doesn't feel very confy, but it works ok.

the only bad thing is when you start doing it, you move very slowly and you lose your breath so fast!

13. toby

toby FHF Regular Player

in indoor shorts it is a big advantage to be fast. I will normally run out standing upright and have only guy follow me, one guy run across the base line to the pusherouterer and the rest in the goals. this normally works for me

14. Garry

Garry FHF Starter

I also use a similar idea.. I would charge the striker especially when he's taking a drag flick.
    The other runners would go for the guys on the D while 2 guys stay in the goal. Simple but works ok..

15. The.Rampage.Rado

I had huge problems with the missing defenders from the goal... Only one guy stand in-there and it's definitely not enough... Conceded only 3 goals from direct shot but around at least 5 from the pass to the left standing player (looking from attacking stance). He's shooting at the empty goal because I'm at the 6 meter and logging toward him but I only managed to catch 2 poorly passed balls....

The running man with me got two balls fine and the post man got 2 and made a 'foot penalty'. No real problems scoring to my new team.. :D

16. doesnt hurt

doesnt hurt FHF Starter

i've tried against a pretty good team lately, to run as fast and slide (the opposite of what i've said before lol) manage to have my knees at the player that receive the ball, and the rest of the body on my right so that with my stick i can intercept a ball given from left to right (my side) 2 players in the goals waiting. 2 more following the movement (one left and one middle) the last one just runs out to the middle of the field .

work very well the last 3 games.

but again, it depends on how the other team is placed?
    stopper or not.
    and how hard they shoot.

i reckon the best thing is to swap during the game from going out and staying in. so the other team doesn't know what you will do.

17. Garry

Garry FHF Starter

Totally agree with that! Confuse the other team... they'll never what hit them lol

18. The.Rampage.Rado

Standing in goal is 99.9% goal... You have to be totally insane lucker to manage to save some shots so you can say you did the job.

19. matthewryan6

matthewryan6 FHF Newbie

Just throwing in my two bobs about sliding on corners. In me experience, sliding the flicker only works if they are far too slow at what they're doing. You really cant rely on them screwing up. As mentioned above, mix it up! I had an excellent back, who was also our captain on our indoor team, he just signaled me when he wanted the run - usually when the other guys were too puffed to run well.

As far as the actual rush, I usually run straight out, but stop before I get to the flicker. Basically just watch, and see when he's about to throw it. Then its a case of legs together, arms high (you wont get them up with reaction) and covering as much of the shot as you can. Then if he decides to pass it off, thats when you throw your body around. Due to the size of the circle, you can usually get on top of his buddy before the shot is made.

Finally, my love to posties everywhere! One of mine took a drag to the face, smashing his mask clean off. The trooper didn't even blink!

20. DoubleR

DoubleR FHF Regular Player

Rushing is good if you can get there quick enough but the attackers expect this and will try to slot under your feet or play around you. So mix it up.