More things to learn

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by Ian Rich, Nov 23, 2008.

1. controller

controller FHF Legend

Under the rules of Hockey there is nothing concrete in writing to say that it is the responsibility of the club, but, look into the hire of the venue contract, terms set out by local councils when the club had their pitch built, they might be in their, but their is nothing saying that the Umpires have full control.

The Match Official at ENL games has the mobile number and contact for the pitch manager who has all control and that person must deal with it if instructed by the MO and not the umpires.

2. sase-31-19

sase-31-19 FHF Regular Player

the spectators are something that often happens. as long as they arent abusing the players or you you should just ignore it. if they start being abusive, try talking to one of the coaches or a member of management at the turf stadium (or wherever you are)

for the coaches it depends on the rules of the stadium (or again, wherever your turfs are)
    my club, for example, have rules that say a coach is only permitted to stand on the turf if they are in front of their teams dugout - which prevents them from running sidelines
    if you have no rules like this, then you kinda have to deal with it.
    unless they're getting in the way of you or the players, in which case, again, have a kind word with them or with management

3. David_Underdown

David_Underdown FHF Regular Player

This type of thing was one of the issues that caused problems in the BUSA game I did last Wednesday. The spectators were the men's first team of the home university. They'd spent a bit of time in the bar after their game before coming out, and were giving us various pieces of "helpful" advice, which I was ignoring. The awy side however claimed that they were getting at one of their players in particular. They initially tried to raise this with me during a penalty corner they were defending, and I must admit I didn't directly respond to the commmetns addressed to me as they went back to the halfway line. I did try to listen out a bit more after that, but didn't hear anything out of order. Afterwards they were most upset that I didn't do anything, even when I tried to explain it wasn't my responsibility (it wasn't the only thing they were unhappy about-I was starting to think about MMOs).

4. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

In the USA, in games between high schools and colleges, the coach (a word that does not appear in the Rules of Hockey -- nor does a surrogate) is responsible for non-playing team personnel and substitutes. The captain is responsible for the conduct of their on-field teammates but, generally, it ends up being the coach who the umpires deal with -- a detriment to the game and the players in my opinion. We’ve sort of surgically removed the captain from any leadership responsibilities.

The home team coach is responsible for everyone at the site in the games between high schools and there’s even a page in the rules governing high school play with regard to carding fans and penalties for the teams. I won’t say that fans are kicked out of games “all the time†but I’ve seen it happen more than once.

Cheers...Cris

5. John

John FHF Legend

The East showing common sense!!!!!! :eek:

6. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

I agree with cris.

After umpiring at the US festival....its suprising the amount of teams that dont have a captain...and look a little shocked that you are calling them over to have any sort of chat.

being that the High School rules have only two cards for a coach...a green and then red...its hardly suprising.

I have always had crowd yelling stuff....its part of the game....if it is particularly offensive to others...or even yourself...Im talking racist remarks...gender specific remarks...really things we shouldnt tolerate, I inform the coach...."it appears somebody on your support team has a "bad attitude" it can be detrimental to everything we are doing here." that normally gets them to use action on the cheer sqaud so I dont have to.

the main idea is....ITS not OUR concern....make it someone elses.

I had a nasty incident at the festival regarding a coach telling their OWN player they should be ashamed...they wernt a competetor...why are they even on the field?...all this because a goal was scored. after discussing it with officials...its hard to do anything because its HIS own player...if it was someone elses...then cards can be used.

the above situation is releveant to the crowd situation. the crowd....are not OUR concern...if it gets racist, sexiest or super sweary pants at a junior game...get the captain...to explain to the coach..WHO is going to be sent off if they dont calm down. normaly the coach will settle because if a player gets sent for the coaches behaviour or the crowds...that person is then not very well liked.

it sounds mean to do it this way but it works and is effective.