More own goal confusion (for a worried keeper!)

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by sturu, Sep 2, 2012.

1. JoshRobbino

JoshRobbino FHF Top Player

Surely the fact that it got close enough to the defender to hit their stick would mean it was dangerous, no? Unless they had their stick fully extended and it glanced the end of it...

2. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

No, not necessarily at all. Every situation has to be judged on its own merits. Was that specific hit dangerous, or was it safely playable?

3. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Or the shot was not causing any danger but the defender moves into the path of the ball to try and prevent the (non) attempt at goal...

This is my fear as a keeper - I'll try and save a shot from just outside of the D as A) it's my instinct to try and get in the way, and B) As said before - I have left shots from obviously outside the D before, and the umpire has given the goal. Their mistake, my fault.

For keepers this is a no win choice.

4. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Don't forget that the rules are very clear that:
    Just because a ball is raised, or hard to play, or put into a crowded area that does not mean that it is automatically "dangerous".

5. johnreiss

johnreiss FHF Top Player

clear as mud.If the ball doesn' leave the circle and the attacker takes a shot it canot be a goal or a PF The rules states the pc must leave the circle b4 a goal is scored. Therefore dealing wit Ih the op's question its a LC. If it came off a defenders foot its a pc. If it comrs off a fenders body its a pc unless deemed dangerous (fhd) or deliberate and denying possession PF. Obviously if the shot is a hit its subject to the height restriction. Too high = fhd

6. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

Johnreiss, that part of the question was addressed a long time ago, now it's moved onto other hypothetical situations which nobody will agree on, and which will or won't be dangerous.
    I know that not everybody will agree, but for what it's worth if I was the umpire at a PC and the ball was struck from outside the D above 460mm, I'd give a fhd due to the attacker creating a dangerous situation, with there being no chance of a goal being scored without the ball striking another player or their stick.

7. johnreiss

johnreiss FHF Top Player

for me a shot from a pc that doesen't leave the circle is not illegal and must be judged on danger.

Assuming not dangerous and is legally deflected by a DEFENDER into the net = LC

IF legally defelected by an attacker = fhd as a goal cannot be scored until after the pc leaves the circle.

if illegaly deflected by a defender = another pc

I agree that a 1st time hit from outside the circle > 460mm is PROBABLY DANGEROUS BUT NOT NECESSARILY DANGEROUS. If not dangerous = play on and if its deflected into the net by anyone its a goal.

: