Midlands Leagues

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by ted16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

I think they do help for a variety of reasons - pitch location for a new umpire or if it's not the normal one, shower facilities at the pitch, confirmation of where food is if not at the ground, any dietary requirements for umpire, team colours etc

2. thirdeyeblind

thirdeyeblind FHF Newbie

Missing the days of an MO phoning the results in whilst you are warming down/in the shower, team manager sorting the team sheets and signing them off, and Crabby chatting up, sorry providing feedback, to the umpires whilst you eat your tea.....

3. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

No real problem with the courtesy email to umpires as you both state, just another ''to do'' to remember/pass on to new captains etc. Mrhua site asks for venue and start time, which is fine so the appointments can be made knowing what time and where to send umpires, as of last year this had to be done on the mrha site too...and yes we get to rate both umpires from good, satisfactory or poor, with a open field for comments which ''must'' be filled in if you rate someone poor..

4. G

G FHF All Time Great

Not received an email yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Gingerbread

I had my appointment one for the 11th November already, always seems odd to send that early (not least as the league rules specifically state no earlier than whatever it is, 8 days or something) as appointments can change around and if you miss the change the new umpire doesn't get told

6. G

G FHF All Time Great

Yeah they work early. TBH I like that as I like to try and plan a bit...

My post was a sarcastic dig at @murph as I’m Umpiring his team on Saturday and haven’t had an email from them yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I knew this would come back to bite me. :cool:.. I'm just an ordinary player now of course.

I'll double check what's going on and let you know.

G likes this.
  8. Gingerbread

It's interesting that MRHUA have chosen to do it so umpires don't provide feedback (at least I don't recall having the option to do so on a bottom rating) if, for some reason, you need to rate a team badly. If you don't need to take the nuclear option of an MMO or Disrepute form then beyond emailing Rob or Barbara and asking not to do a team there is little you can do. As an example, I've done a couple of games where the hospitality has been non-existent (first, team showered and then sat in a circle doing fines, didn't acknowledge the umpires, no food was offered - had to collect it from the kitchen and what was offered was pathetic; no drink offered, we eventually just left of our own accord / second, team did at least leave a pint on the bar but all went off to watch/play for their first team so we had food and left) where providing brief feedback might have helped explain why they got a 0 and improve for the next visit. Similarly there have been the odd game where players moan so much it goes beyond what you're prepared to laugh off and providing an explanation as to why there were 5 yellows could go alongside the (presumably poor) rating from the players rather than just stitching the team up on the disciplinary front.

9. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Possible opportunity for improvement? I'd have loved to have had feedback last year (seriously!) about how I as captain treated and/or hosted the league umpires that we had! Appreciate we get a hospitality score at the end of the season, but that doesn't give us much to go by other than we're better or worse than x y z.

Umpire feedback, as doing 3rd team and lower I only get from oppositions really. To be called a "fair fair" (i.e. couldn't tell I was a home club) umpire was a particularly good moment recently!

10. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

Definite room for improvement, like @murph I would've liked feedback if we were doing a poor job on the hospitality front, not skipper these days but as a club man would still like this to occur so we can make the umpire's day as enjoyable as possible and ensure they still want to turn up each week...

Thorney likes this.
  11. SportBilly44

SportBilly44 FHF Top Player

Couple of things on this - 1. The average scores for the club for their hospitality are published at the end of every season on the MRHUA website so if you trawl through the news items on there you can actually see your average scores for the season - so would help with your 'comparison' though they are only published once a year so not helpful as a real-time measure; 2. Umpires are not actually given any guidance on how to score so it can be a bit random - I know one umpire who simply has 5 things he expects and you get a point for each one (something like email confirming details at least 5 days before, a separate changing room, a drink bought for him in the bar afterwards etc) - and as you'll see many of these have nothing to do with 'hospitality'. I personally would mark based on things like have a club provided me with a drink for the match, was the food afterwards good, did anyone actually come and speak to me etc. All very different to other scoring methods I am aware of!

Just as a comparison, at National League most teams will provide us with a hot drink on arrival, sort a separate changing room for us, usually provide at least a drink for 1/2 time and often bananas/haribos etc as well and appoint someone to look after us after the game (buy drinks, sort food etc). I reckon if you can do that at MRHA level you will score pretty highly from most umpires....

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

12. Gingerbread

Hospitality wise my thinking is pretty much:

Do they greet you?
    Do you get offered a drink and food after?
    Do they at least pay you some attention after, check you are ok etc?

Changing rooms are sort of meh, as it's as much down to where the club have to play as to whether they have say 3 changing rooms or not and I tend to arrive changed, if I have another game after, I won't change. If it's been raining it is nice though. Somewhere like Stourport has great facilities, somewhere like Hampton is quite cramped but I don't think it's part of hospitality if your club can't afford to have 4 changing rooms + an umpires one etc

I don't care about the emails / call / text for match confirmation - if it's late it's a league rule breach, not a hospitality thing

13. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Changing rooms definitely a strange one - Sorry guys but it's normal changing rooms or disabled toilets at our place! Rest is basic manners and I'd hope clubs do it, but feedback can be useful where it's missed.

I know I tried my best for umpires last year, but appreciate I missed the buying a drink for umpires, probably why we didn't win of course!

14. SportBilly44

SportBilly44 FHF Top Player

Agreed, I never judge clubs based on things out of their control. As you say, hospitality for me is how you are treated.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

15. AnonUmp

AnonUmp FHF Newbie

So far this season across many divs from local ladies county up to EHL conference I have umpired several games and only 2 clubs have offered the umpire a pint after (take a bow Repton and Stourport).

The Hospitality at EHL appears to end after the prematch cuppa - which is a step up on most at Mids level

16. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

We always take the umpires back to our pub after a game ( no pre match tea as we don't have pitch side facilities ) and a pint and curry duly offered. But on same hand there is one or two umpires that never come back ....
    Last weekend our seconds had confirmed prior to sat that the opposition were coming back so food ordered only for them to no show. Although our seconds captain spoke with said club chair who have offered to pay for any wasted food.

17. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Even if my team were no-showing I'd still go for curry and a pint!

nemo and SportBilly44 like this.
  18. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Interesting times in the Midlands with some flip flopping, battles, and the odd runaway leader too!

19. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

Runaway leader? Which league tables are you looking at? all look very competitive at the top ends to me - few runaway's at the bottom ends though as some teams yet to record their first wins, but still a long way to go...

20. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I need my eyes tested!