Midlands Leagues

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by ted16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Doh! I guess it is club stuff rather than lovely umpiring stuff? I'm sure someone can send you a copy if you really want it! :)

Edit: Just seen it is on the MRHUA website!

#1081 murph, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Which bit are you talking about the MRHA September 2017 league newsletter circulated by Nick Haynes or something else? I got send the league newsletter already

3. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

That newsletter. So all is good. Sweet!

4. Gingerbread

Where on the MRHUA site is it?

5. G

G FHF All Time Great

6. Gingerbread

Under East Midlands, I see it now. EMHUA, BCHUA and MRHUA all post independently and I don't normally check the East ones hence missing it as it's not posted under Midlands normal.

Also - posted 10th October even though the newsletter is from pre-Season in mid-September

7. Gingerbread

National league Midlands clubs have a mixed start

West: Olton 4 wins 1 draw joint top. Birmingham Uni mid table 2 wins 1 draw 2 losses
    North: Nottingham Uni top with 4 wins 1 draw, Loughborough Students third with 3 wins 1 draw 1 loss, Cannock fourth with 3 wins 1 draw 1 loss

Midlands has started fairly evenly by the looks of it

Harborne top of Midlands Prem with 4 wins 1 draw, closely followed by Khalsa on 4 wins 1 loss and Loughborough Town with 3 wins 2 draws. Worcester, West Bridgford, Stourport and Lichfield seem to be the early contenders for the drop with 7 points between them from 20 games

Midlands One is also fairly even after 3 games with Barford Tigers 3 wins from 3, Boots and Stone 2 wins 1 draw each and Bridgnorth 2 wins 1 loss. Old Hales and North Stafford prop up the league with 5 teams on 3 points

Midlands Two similar, Burton 3/3 wins with Streetly, Stratford, Chesterfield all on 2 wins 1 draw. Nottingham Players (1 for, 17 against in 3 games) with 3 losses prop up the league with Coalville and Old Sils 1 draws and 2 losses each

8. thirdeyeblind

thirdeyeblind FHF Newbie

Mixed start seems a tad unfair. 5 teams, two top, one third, one fourth and one mid table isn't too shabby surely, especially if you go back a couple of years (around post #335 in this thread) and remember the days where the clubs were mid table down rather than mid table and up. Brum have lost to the top 2, and should have beaten Olton on Saturday (look at the times of the goals) which would have put them above Olton in second, and Olton 4th.

Add to that the thought/promise of open leagues next year, and things are looking ok-ish.

9. Gingerbread

How is it unfair? A good start is Nottingham Uni or Olton undefeated, a mixed start is winning and losing some. Whatever the times of Olton's goals, the fact is BU conceded and lost, if they'd scored 10 they'd have won, but they didn't, if they had, Olton would have lost one.

Open leagues is not a panacea that will make Midlands capable of challenging South next season or even the season after that. What it will do is hopefully allow first teams better preparation playing against strong second teams with NL bench players but that could take years of promotion to get to. If Midlands simply open up the leagues with a bit of merging you'll still end up with all the first teams starting at Midlands Prem -> WM/EM 1, the second team league teams will have to be promoted through minimum of 5 leagues which would of course mean 5+ years before 1-2 of them got to Midlands Prem level.

Thorney likes this.
  10. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

With regards to open leagues I seem to remember that in Scotland no club could have more than one team in the top two national leagues , I played for a small club from a small town and we managed to get to national two 20 odd years ago and ended up playing hopeless games against a handful of top club second teams was almost like two mini leagues , the big boys for top position with no hope of promotion and the smaller clubs battling to be the best of the rest

11. Gingerbread

North, West, South* and East all allow second teams to be in the top tier but cannot get promoted but this doesn't mean the 4th or 5th placed team gets promoted, I think the best players end up going to first teams who are challenging to go up so they can play NL if they can't get into the first team of the club whose second team is in the top tier.

North currently has Brooklands MU, Uni of Durham and Bowdon second teams in the top tier of 12, only Brooklands really look like they would be challenging to win the league (they finished 2nd last year but 18 points behind Leeds and were joint top the year before that).
    East doesn't have any in Prem A league and 5 in Prem B
    West has Team Bath, Uni of Exeter and Cardiff and Met second teams
    *South doesn't have any second teams though quite a few second teams are in the London league

12. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Maybe not on the men's side, but on the women's side, with no London League, Prem 1 includes second teams of Surbiton, Reading and Wimbledon.

Gingerbread likes this.
  13. Gingerbread

I didn't look at that as this topic was just about opening up the Men's leagues in Midlands as the women's are already open.

Women's wise, Beeston, Birmingham Uni and Leicester all have 2nd teams in Midlands Prem (Beeston doing best in 3rd at the moment with a game in hand) and we even have Birmingham Uni 3s in Midlands 1 alongside Cannock, Loughborough Students, Stourport and Sutton 2s

14. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

We're currently looking to utilise the closed league system by trying our hardest to finish last without relegation. :mad::(

15. Martin Webb

Martin Webb FHF Newbie

I’id be very interested in this. I feel like I have to do at least 4 different things after a game to ensure a result is submitted correctly! It’s all a bit farcical! Surely there’s a more efficient way of doing this!?

16. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I just telephoned the number and told the nice voice machine what the score was last season.

;)

(should be noted I am getting questions weekly from captains about stuff that's in what I wrote... Blatantly not consulted!)

#1096 murph, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  17. Martin Webb

Martin Webb FHF Newbie

Haha, that must be where you’re going wrong. If you’re not texting and calling the result, emailing the scorers and then posting in your match sheets then you don’t get the score you want!

18. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

Don't forget when it's a home game you also have to scan and email the match sheets before posting them off...and email the umpires for the coming week to confirm the details which you've already had to input onto the mrha AND mrhua websites.....:rolleyes:o_O....then there's the joy of the post match umpire report to complete on the mrhua site...usually advisable to do this after a few days to let the dust settle in your mind :D

19. Gingerbread

Out of interest what does the MRHUA site ask for?

Umpires just get asked to rate hospitality and on-pitch behaviour of both teams from a drop down, there are no free text fields for comments

20. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I didn't post a single match form last year. Scanned copies only?

Excellent advice on the umpire reports and one I had self determined after the first league match.

Not sure what the issue is with a courtesy email to the umpires, always nice to say hello and in our instance this week, we aren't at our normal venue and there's local road closures so...*

(*Awaits being told the road closures haven't been mentioned in any email sent*) :D