Midlands Leagues

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by ted16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

Yes - we lost Wellingborough and another side who's name i forget....who left the Midlands structure to play in the south leagues just so they were competitive and didn't have to travel so far - believe most of their away games were around the 2hr mark...

2. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity; Adidas HS1 XXtreme; Adidas TT10
    I was getting text messages bout this on Friday night. 2nd XI sees the return of Mids 1 but at the expense of WM2 and EM2, so that's a consolidation; net loss of teams over the past years has come home to roost. It also devalues our excellent efforts to avoid relegation as we end up playing most of the same teams we'd be playing if we had been relegated anyway.

2018/19 can't come soon enough.

Notty11 likes this.
  3. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Wellingboro' went East. South may be a bit far...

4. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

Oops my bad, that does make more sense!

Don't forget though mrha could still decide against open leagues can they not?

5. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    I suppose technically they could; I'm not familiar wit their decision making process - it all seems somewhat opaque to me. That said, would Clubs stand for the Region running roughshod over their democratic decision to go open?

#SplinterGroup

6. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Believe the consultation was a "do you want it" to clubs and clubs said yes so can't imagine they'd just go back on it - they have already had to faff around with teams playing each other 3 times in some leagues due to the complaints about the fees and fewer games. Should find out in the new year what they plan but they have to get it done for the 2018/19 season really if they want to stop teams dropping out for those reasons

Realistically you could have NSEW or NE SE NW SW with X numbers of leagues each (as many of 12 as possible and a big league at the bottom with the rest), those then feed into 2 leagues (West / East or whatever) with say 3 leagues each, then finally to Midlands with 3 leagues - use Yorkshire -> North as an example (or even the way the Midlands women do) - that way you can guarantee 12 teams in every league and teams can fit in at a level they feel comfortable and when a new team enters they can work their way up. Does the league want that sort of approach though or have they got their own ideas about best practice?

7. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

That is the question....hopefully they will see that the leagues are shrinking through clubs dropping the number of sides they can put out and clubs leaving for open league structures and realise change is needed....i'm sure they will as stated they have asked and the majority have spoken so be silly to go against it...we'll see come January

8. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

If I get any info on the query it'll be interesting to see what has gone on.

Still, it'll only be for one year hopefully. :)

9. TheGingerOne

TheGingerOne FHF Reserve Player

It was brought up at our AGM and the question was supposedly "do you want us to investigate the possibility", which isn't quite as positive, but fingers crossed!

10. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Kettering was the other one. Technically within one year we lost 3 teams from that division.

Long Buckby folded by Christmas, Kettering joined the East league and then Wellingborough relegated into our division, but opted to go East as well.

11. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

Gotta be honest and I m debating whether or not to play winter league this year ( if selected ! ) too many long assed journeys and being a shift worker a nightmare to organise ahead. May contemplate dropping down the levels and find a club/league with my expectations of reasonable travelling. In my 40 s now and tired of writing off entire Saturday s when the travel time is twice as long as actual game time......

12. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

One more year Nemo, then travel times should be a little kinder!

nemo likes this.
  13. Darren Dixon

Darren Dixon FHF Star Player

whitchurch from Shropshire left the midlands leagues aswell and went to north i believe.

14. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I'd argue they'd potentially have been better staying put!

Attached Files:

15. G

G FHF All Time Great

Worksop men went north a few years ago too ( although the ladies stayed in Midlands)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    And as that screenshot shows, Keele Uni re-entered the League a couple of years back and went North, despite being across town from us. A "Not-a-gain", rather than a "loss", if you will...

17. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Keele would risk being WM1 so I can potentially see the logic. Even EM1 would be vicious travel distances!

Feel for Buxton and Tamworth being drawn against each other for extra games.

18. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

Sounds like the vote is in favour of an open league

19. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Vote was, but some clubs abstained (when doing so stating not enough information to decide) and remarkably some failed to respond.

20. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

go on....name and shame.....