Midlands Leagues

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by ted16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. ted16

ted16 FHF Top Player

Can anyone shed any light on what on earth has happened in Midlands Premier? 13 teams in the league? Blank weekends and Sunday matches creating double headers?

Seems like a complete cock up

2. Darren Dixon

Darren Dixon FHF Star Player

Basically my guess is that they didn't want to relegate 4 teams from Midlands Prem, and as a result originally only posted 1 promotion spot in Midlands 1 to the champions of the league. After a hard season working for second place, I guess Stone wernt happy and complained to the league about not being promoted, especially as it went down to the last game and as a result they changed the promotions

Someone at MRHA needs to have a serious word with themselves. Would have surely made more sense to relegate the 4th, as happens in the lower division 2 (known affectionately as the league of death) than have a blank weekend, i feel for the teams in prem this year that enter a cup or have re-arranged games as it could easily turn into 6 or 7 double header weekends for the season if not more, in what should be a highly competitive prem having 3 teams relegated from the national league last season

What i also dont understand is in the second team division, 3 teams were relegated from West Mids Prem to allow a blank to come into the league instead, why not just relegate 2, Especially considering they only completed a reshuffle last season to remove blanks from the higher divisions, instead they have just put them back in

3. ted16

ted16 FHF Top Player

I play for the team that came 3rd in Mids 1 and mucked up on the last day! but consensus from all our guys is we are glad we didn't go up. What a mess! Stone had no clue they were promoted. We were told on the last day that the most likely scenario was just 1 team were going up (Stourport) but the league couldn't give a straight answer going in to that last weekend.

They will equal it out next season by relegating another team from Prem but every year there is some crazy restructure and reshuffle. May be time for open leagues like everywhere else

4. Darren Dixon

To add to what i typed above, i also dont understand why they don't just start all of the leagues two weeks earlier in line with prem, and have a longer winter break, which "should" reduce the amount of re arranged fixtures in the second half of the season due to frozen pitches etc....... Instead of all this move the last two fixtures before the turn around in prem to two week before everyone else starts. We are currently the only league in the country that has this format, and for the past two years its caused nothing but complications in terms of promotion/relegation and knowing when you might be safe.

Its no surprise that midlands clubs are so far behind other regions in the national league, having had 5 clubs relegated from the national league in the last two years alone, (Khalsa, West Bridgford, Leek, Belper, Barford Tigers)

Hopefully Lichfield can stop the midlands YoYo and join the likes of Olton/Birmingham Uni/Loughborough/Cannock/Beeston in staying in the national league for a decent period of time

#4 Darren Dixon, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Darren Dixon

I was writing that as your reply came through, so posted anyway, you should recognise which midlands 1 club i'm at by the orange/blue GK kit and one of the few teams in royal blue

Surely it should be decided before the last day how many get promoted, i know that the national league relegations have an effect, but if they just kept to what is a simple structure everyone would know where they stand

6. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity; Adidas HS1 XXtreme; Adidas TT10
    As I hear it Sikh Union (Cov) had missed out on promotion further down the league because of the number of teams coming down from National League and the consequential cascade downwards. They appealed. When their appeal was upheld they got on to Stone, who were in a similar situation, and Stone also appealed. Next thing Stone are up.

I thought the League would either relegate one more from Prem or - as they had originally done - stick by what the League Handbook said before the start of the season, which set out promotion and relegation in the case of relegations from National. They've made a rod for their own backs and will just have to relegate someone extra his year instead. The simple thing to have done would to have not backed down in the face of Sikh Union's appeal and considered the consequences...

As I say, most of what I've heard is anecdotal, but from people inside Stone. How much weight to apply to that truth is up to you.

7. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

News to me ! Su cov first s finished 5 in our league ....

8. ted16

ted16 FHF Top Player

I think you are right, Sikh Union Notts appealed cause they missed out on promotion cause of the restructure the previous year (mids 2 brought back) and when it looked like they would again they appealed. Incredibly brave decision and an interesting precedent.
    We got relegated from Prem due to national league relegations a few seasons back. if it happened again can we appeal?

They basically didn't follow what was in the handbook so that renders that completely pointless!

I just find it odd that a decision like that was made without consulting the current Mids Prem teams. Stone are in a situation where they have double header weekends and then a week off. How can the league just assume clubs can field their strongest sides on a sunday too? surely quality will be affected thus meaning midlands sides aren't getting the best prep if they do win it and get promoted.

Bridgnorth by chance? Best after dinner meal ever!! full roast dinner. looking forward to this seasons visit already

Mac and Darren Dixon like this.
  9. Darren Dixon

Think he meant SU Notts

Mac and nemo like this.
  10. FastForward24

FastForward24 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Low 70, Beikou Pro 10 Indoor
    The situation in the Midlands is laughable. Not sure how they've got it so wrong.

Why not stick with the well known format for promotion and relegation to correctly fill the leagues? Promotion and relegation places always guaranteed and additional teams relegated if teams drop down from NL/Prem/Div1/Div2/etc. If there is a space for the promotion anywhere then the next highest finishing team goes up. I know it gets a little awkward due to having 1st and 2nd team etc leagues, but same principle applies!

11. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

I figured that 10 seconds after I pressed post ;-)

12. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    @Darren Dixon, @ted16 Yes I did mean Notts, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Edit:

This would have been the sensible approach. I don't like what the handbook suggested (i.e. removing promotion places; they should be sacrosanct) but even that is better than the buggers' muddle they got into.

And the teams in Mids 2 now have the blank spot despite full leagues at East and West Prem...

13. Darren Dixon

Glad to hear our teas go down well, will hope for the same again seems you will be seeing us at the end of November :) good roast after a cold day on the pitch will be perfect

Think our 2nds might have a pretty decent case for appeal, they have been relegated as a third team to go, and replaced by the truly worthy of promotion "blank" team currently topping the table

14. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    I have never had this at Bridgnorth. I think I got cauliflower cheese with bacon bits, lots of chillies and some crusty bread last year. Not too bad but not a roast!

15. Darren Dixon

Just taken a look on the umpire website (http://www.mrhua.org.uk/public/news.php?MRHUA#24) and seen they have released the results of on pitch behaviour and club hospitality.

Would like to know how they monitor pitch behaviour, seems we finished below teams who had points deducted for cards.....

16. ted16

ted16 FHF Top Player

Was close to Christmas i think so could of been the seasonal choice. Good beers on tap too. Only downside is the drive!! miles

League seems to have buried its head a little. no real explanation forthcoming as to why. As you mentioned, Mids 1 seems to have escaped and is okay this year. I am glad Telford drew with us (we were a bit lucky to get a point to be honest) and we stayed put. Not only does Prem look horrendous administratively it is a hell of a league standard wise.

Rumours abound Rugby have lost the polish lad to Cannock too..... allegedly

17. ted16

ted16 FHF Top Player

i think it best i stay away from the subject of umpiring!! worst i have ever seen this year

Why have mrha also asked for venue and times for games this year when all that is provided on mrhua?

I am pretty sure west bridgford win that every season! Old Sils up there too, when we played them every member of the oppo left, we had teas with the lady who cooked them

Bizarre.

18. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

don't forget this has also led to an issue in Mids 2 - they only have 11 teams and a "blank" as SU Notts went up...now in theory they should either have A) relegated another from Mids 1 (Edgbaston) or B) Held a playoff game between the two 2nd place teams from EMP and WMP (Boots and Sol Bloss)

so @Crocked82 and co now have a blank weekend but gladly no Sunday games!!

#18 Notty11, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  19. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

Yep a team of the year contender/winner in any discipline where the 1st XI leave their oppo in their own clubhouse to have tea's with the dinner lady was a bit disappointing - i was expecting more - but i expect we'll hear this was a one off - they did all seem a bit down to be fair, but still.....

20. Darren Dixon

I too have heard that rumour, and believe its on the transfer thread somewhere too. Take away his 40+ goals a season and i think we've found our first relegation candidate for this season from prem.......

Very true lets keep off the subject of umpires, my animosity has been compromised by our sunday roasts.

I have no idea why they have added start times to the website, however i can tell you now 1.30 push back at Bridgnorth will always be the first team slot, so its going to be very easy to input that for us :)

Same happened to us at old sils, along with south nottingham where we were joined by two of the opposition, 2 umpires and the umpires daughter.

I wondered how long @Notty11 could keep away from this thread :)