Mercian Burn CB2

Discussion in 'Other Gear Questions & Reviews' started by Kendall, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Kendall

Kendall FHF Newbie

Hi everyone, this is my first contribution here but I was hoping for some advice.

I've had a Mercian Burn CB2 for 3 years now (the 2006 version) and it's just recently broken - cracking and flaking on the reverse-sweep edge.
    I was wondering if this is likely down the stick just finally giving up (it's pretty knackered other than this anyway, and has been for a good while, it just hasn't started falling apart until now) or due to me suddenly reverse sweeping a lot more!

I really like the stick and was intending to replace it with the newer Burn or Afterburn, but am now wondering if the reverse edge is a weakpoint of the blackwidow range? Or if such a thing as a strong/enforced reverse edge exists amongst other sticks? For some reason I've started using the reverse sweep a lot recently so I don't want to spend money on a stick if it's going to crack and fall apart before too long.

thanks for any help!

2. CCG

CCG FHF Legend

Probably just wear and tear - 3 seasons is a good time if you play regularly!

And no, I think it's doubtful that it's a weak point, if that was the case with a new Burn/Afterburn you should be able to get it replaced.

However, I do seem to recall Mercian bulking their head up (by their standards) a bit in about 2008 so the newer versions may be different to yours. This is from a friend who was sponsored by them, bought the new burns and discovered they were different to his old one and had to sell them on. Hope this helps!

Oh, and welcome to the forum :yes:

3. Kendall

Kendall FHF Newbie

Thanks, I'll definitely look around a bit more knowing that about the heads. Whenever I've tried other people's sticks I've not liked how much chunkier and thicker the head is. I was assuming it would be just wear and tear, it's finally had enough! I play for my university so am on the pitch 3 times a week, I guess that counts as regularly!

Thanks for the welcome!

4. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

get another burn or afterburn. i think they are lovely sticks. as previously stated, 3 years is a long time for a stick to last!

if you are still looking for the 2006 (37.5 CB1 though) version, i think there are some on sale at this webpage:
    http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/hockey/hockey_sticks/shop_by_brand/mercian_hockey_sticks/Mercian_Burn_CB1_(2006).html
    or 3.5 Sl CB2:
    http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/hockey/hockey_sticks/shop_by_brand/mercian_hockey_sticks/Mercian_Burn_CB1_(2006).html
    70 odd quid including delivery sounds a treat to me..

n.b. no affiliation.