Looking for good hockey in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Oceania' started by Martindk, May 7, 2013.

1. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

Hi FHF

Anybody have a good idea to go and watch good hockey in Melbourne , i will be there from 10 May to around end August , would like to see some Local derby matches

Regards Martin

2. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

You want to look for any matches in premier league.

Premier league is played all over the place in the suburbs of Melbourne, but there are "super" days where all matches are played at the one venue - the state hockey and netball centre in Royal Park (near the Zoo)

The next day like this is actually this weekend - women's premier league (and reserves) are all playing at this venue sat 11th May, men's prem & reserves are on Sun 12th.

There is an entry fee to the State Hockey Centre of $4.10 for adults.

Here is a link to the men's premier league fixture:
    https://sportsdesq.imgstg.com/porta...lection=0&FixtureRound=5&ResultRound=19&pdf=1

3. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

wow! ask and you shall receive (sometimes). It is great when fhf works so beautifully. have a great time, martin. let us know your impressions.

4. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

He's just lucky I guess ;) I play women's prem in Melbourne so I'm intimately aware of the details!

Just ask again if you want to know how to get to any of the other venues in the fixture :)

peterwins likes this.
  5. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

thanks for the info, will keep you updated on my blog when i arrive, hopefully my host will be my driver :)

6. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

Stretch which club are you from ? im going to be with Werribee Hockey Club MenĀ“s who play in Vic League 1

7. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Vic league 1 is the next highest league, still good hockey :)

I'm at Powerhouse/StKilda women who play premier league, our men play Vic league 1 as well.

Mikica likes this.
  8. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

How's it going Martindk? Have you managed to catch some good matches yet?

9. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

I have seen some good games and some bad ones.... One of things i have noticed is how hard they play over here , many stick tackles and body tackles , have been at the state netball & hockey center where there was some tackles which almost where assault , the technical level is not that good , perhaps im just biased as im used to watch german and dutch hockey.

The level of umpiring also shocked me , they allow some things that would be blown in Europe , but i enjoy seeing players and teams which i dont know.

I have been at Meltone HC Footscray HC and Werribee HC looking forward to see more places , i also trained U17 Wildcats so its a great experience

10. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Sounds pretty accurate to me :lol:

Say hi if you ever catch powerhouse women's prem - look for the tall lass in the orange pads (see my profile pic :))

Can't miss me! :)

11. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

Will do :) im with werribee 1 & 2 men

12. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

you are playing too far away for me to travel on bike ;) have still not seen any premier league matches

13. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Fair enough! :)

14. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

I'm going to be at the U17 Junior championship with Wildcats at State netball & hockey center from Monday to Wednesday , I'm ass. coach , I'm also going to see some premier league at Altona HC after the break :)

15. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Good one! Hockey at the snake pit is a special experience. Altona is a really tight-nit community club, so attendance at home games is always really good. Great atmosphere!

I have been doing a little bit of work with the Cougars GKs, so I might come and see some games at the JSC tourney as well. I'll say hi if I see you :)

Snakepitlad likes this.
  16. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

ok hope to see you there

17. roughie

roughie FHF Newbie

If you are looking for quality hockey unfortunately you will struggle to find it beyond Premier League. There is still quite a gap in between the top grade to the second grade. I'm thinking that's where you have seen your stick tackles and body tackles! And just some manic hockey.
    Premier league matches are much more technical and with a sprinkle of overseas players in some teams the standard is very good. It will still be a hard game and the style here is still more attack first defend second!
    Definitely don't base your opinion on our hockey on Vic League 1!! :) If you can try and get along to a camberwell game who are clearly the best in the comp right now!

thefloppy1 likes this.
  18. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

I'm thinking that's where you have seen your stick tackles and body tackles! hell ya :) , i wont base my opinion on Vic league 1 , when i have seen the premier league.

Whats your club ?

19. thefloppy1

thefloppy1 FHF Starter

"If you can try and get along to a camberwell game who are clearly the best in the comp right now"

I agree, get to a Camberwell/Greensborugh/Hawthorne Game, They all play a little different, but it very good to watch.

VL1 is always going to be a little\alot behind Prem. although they all try to get up to prem, the clubs just don't have the experienced players needed, and they are hard to get, as once they have been in Prem, they don't want to leave.

In saying that don't go watching anything lower in the Leagues, it gets really terrible quickly, some of the Pennant grades can be good to watch as well.

I wish I was back in Melbourne now, but instead in the US coaching a Highschool team.

20. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

So, I am currently considering whether I should up sticks and head over to Aus with the family to enjoy a better quality of life than offered in Blighty - I hear the weather is a little more conducive to outdoor life. The missus is a peadiatric nurse I am an accountant (I believe the two will even out the karma in the long run) so should be ok on the points and we have two boys (3 and 5) who already love their hockey. I have played for the past 24 years and the missus, well lets just say she "enjoys" watching but not playing.

Melbourne would be my first choice based on what I have heard and I know a number of people out there who used to play for my old club. I would however love to hear from any Ausies out there about good areas to live (close to a family friendly hockey club), hospitals (for the missus to work) etc so I can really start to think about whether it is the right thing to do for all of us.