Level One Umpire moving to SA

Discussion in 'Africa' started by controller, Jan 9, 2009.

1. controller

controller FHF Legend

I have a colleague from my club who is moving to SA in February.

She has a English Hockey level one umpires qualification. Would she be able to carry this over to SA, or will she have to resit the test over there.

Also, could you give me a Hockey Umpires Association contact name and email if possible.

Thanks in advance

2. 67726

67726 FHF Regular Player

It’s strange to hear of someone moving to South Africa! :eek: I get the impression more people are leaving, because of the crime. We were over there last year and are going back this year for the Cape Town U18 International Hockey Festival, it was great but a real eye opener for aussies. The High Performance Centre in Pretoria was fantasic as was Capetown but still a would hate to live there . Go the NSW Bushrangers :yes:

3. Robert

Robert FHF Starter

Where about in SA is she going? I can try help but it may be a short while before I have the Ump Assoc known. Will let you know once school starts.

4. controller

controller FHF Legend

spelling will be wrong but Johannesburg

5. Goggs

Goggs FHF Newbie

Hi Controller, I was in the UK and moved back to South Africa and it's likely your colleague will experience much the same as I did when I moved. She can contact the local HA using the info on the following website: www.sgha.co.za She will need to speak to Doug Neilson (you may want to send him a reference or contact him directly to advise him on your colleague.)

It is likely that he will arrange a few games where she will be watched and then allocate her games at whatever level he feels she is capable of umpiring. The qualification system here is very similar to the UK except for the naming convention (Provincial 1,2,3 instead of Level 1,2. National 1 is roughly equivalent of Level 3).

Hockey in Johannesburg (your spelling was good!) definitely does not have the depth of the UK and, from the little I have seen of ladies hockey, the Premier league here seems weaker overall than National League but a few of the teams are very competitive. The season is the reverse of the UK and starts in March/April and ends September.

If you have any specific questions or would like any other info please feel free to ask on the forum or send me a PM.

Cheers,

Ant.