Let Children Play Sport

Discussion in 'Training Tips & Coaching' started by Jerome, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

Great vid how many coaches and spectators have we all come across that are difficult, to say the least.

2. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

The worst behaviour I've experienced in connection with hockey is by parents. However, they weren't part of my club so not my problem to solve. I know a number of places e.g. County youth that will issue a guide to spectator behaviour. I would expect this:
    1 no calling about tactics please, that is my job not yours, no I don't care if you used to play high level, no I don't care if you also coach
    2 positive encouragement only, negative shouts and criticism will lead to being asked to leave

But, I don't have a problem with kids learning about pressure through experiencing competitive sport. I think it's actually one of the great benefits you can gain from it. The point made above about lower standard kids should be fixable with streaming. Competition is enjoyable if you are playing against someone of a similar standard.

3. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

Well yes Stuart most of the difficult behavior is from parents but to say it's not your problem because it's not your club, don't you think that's a bit short sighted on your part. To me we are all part of the hockey community, sporting community and community and no matter whether it's bad behavior from one of our own or another clubs parents or spectator, I think we do have an obligation to say something or report it to higher organizations, don't you.

4. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

I was using shorthand, as it's a forum. Yes I have reported it as and when it has happened, eg to my counterpart (the other club's chair). That is not the same as fixing it, and fixing it is not something I can do from an external position.

5. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

Thanks for the clarification.