KPI's for an umpiring program

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by aussieump, Sep 7, 2008.

1. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Am presently involved in a review of an umpiring program and wonder what some here would consider to be KPI items

What KPI's would you want in a such a program

Number of umpires new
    level of umpire accreditations
    cost factor?

looking for some assistance

au

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Focusing purely on how the program is run you could ask the participants to complete a brief questionnaire along the lines of "How would you rank the program in terms of XYZ?" and ask for a mark of between 1 (poor) to 5 (excellent) and aim for a certain % of all responses to be at 4 or above? Examples of what "XYZ" might be:

- explanation of program goals
    - achievement of goals
    - quality of teaching
    - quality of practical elements
    - how well the participant's objectives were met
    - etc. etc.

In terms of outcomes, I have no idea how "high" you are aiming, but you could measure: how many more umpires you get into the "neutral pool" (or whatever system your association uses); the number of umpires who improve their ranking after attending the program; the increase in clubs' marks for umpires (if you use that system); the number of requests for further programs (a measure of "word of mouth" success)...

Just some ideas - hope they help.

Red

3. controller

controller FHF Legend

For me who is at the grass roots level of the game, is having a team to assist clubs umpires improve.

As a sport we do not help them out very much and probably cannot do due to the amount of the umpires coaches we have.

If we can give more coaching to club umpires at least twice a year then I think personally we can improve the game.

4. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

That looks very useful, redumpire...I hope aussieump finds it so!

And I think you have a point, Controller...there are so many 'club umpires' stumbling along without any coaching or constructive feedback, and it's from this pool (or morass) that the future 'star' umpires usually emerge.
    It would be useful, IMO, for every active L1 umpire were to receive some sort of coaching every year....I certainly didn't, apart from that which I sought from colleagues.

My brother has been doing some informal coaching/mentoring in Herts & Beds and says he's been encouraged by the response and results.

5. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

KPI's have to be linked into the goals of the program to be useful, and the measurement has to be meaningful, otherwise it is just measuring statistics for the sake of measuring; sure to drive a few of us barmy.

AU, if you review the strategic goals of the program, and they fit in with the overall mission you have for umpiring within your association, you'll find that the KPI's you need to measure will come from the main goals and subtasks of your overall program.

AU, what is the overall mission of your umpiring program and what are the key goals you set out to achieve?

6. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Thanks Red had most of those in the assessment as they had been set when the program started three years ago, just looking at the next three years still maintaining the base KPI's but wanted to get some other views of what may be percieved at club level of outcomes.

The teaching component is already addressed by HA under their accreditation process for approved assessors and course presenters.

Neo am working on a state body review in preparation for the next season, as you are aware we operate under the HA hockeyEd program and can grab stats from that quite easily but I am preparing a report for the strategic planning and as such views of committees and the views of clubs can somewhat differ.

Controller I appreciate the aspect of teaching club umpires by providsing more coaching and the development aspect within my state has addressed some of these by the appointment of Community Umpire coaches, Community meaning the hockey community in general not just the community umpire accreditation level.

Look forward to more suggestions expecially what do you expect from a club point of view and how would you like that undertaken, then the aspect of cost needs to come in as funding only allows so much support to be undertaken.

AU

7. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I like the idea of 'Community Umpire Coaches', AU...there must be quite a few retired/occasional umpires who watch hockey and would be willing to provide some useful feedback, but don't have the inclination to become 'accredited'.
    Are these CUCs provided with any sort of 'documented guidelines'?

8. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

Sorry to be a little pedantic about this, AU but it sounds like what you are looking for is to review some of the goals for the program to ensure that the strategic plan is actually satisfying the requirements of the clubs and associations within your jurisdiction. This is all normal evolution for a strategic plan; after all. KPI's are used within a SP as markers to ensure that the tasks and goals that need to be achieved to complete the strategic plan are being met. As you know they are often expressed as SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-based)

My suggestion would be to

(a) review your program to see how well you achieved the outcomes that you (the state officiating association) were aiming for
    (b) check with your clubs to see if these outcomes created the expected improvement/progress that the clubs had when the program started
    (c) seek further information (survey/swot) on what other areas may be not been adequately covered in the first SP

(b) is important because it tells you about the relevance of the goals in the first SP... assuming all is well, (a) then lets you redouble effort where the goal has not been reached, or tick off success for those that have.

...If there are some reservations from the clubs under (b), then you review the goals to see why expectations are not being met.

(c) is important for being aware of any other emerging factors that may be important to achieving the revised SP.

I'm assuming that when you asked about KPI's you were actually seeking ideas under (c) {other expectations} or to a lesser extent (b) {expectations that were not fulfilled}.

9. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

:eek:
    Well actually (based on industrial experience), what hockey probably needs is to make sure players learn the rules. The outcome we're after is a good clean competitive match played in a good spirit.
    You can spend your life trying to enforce rules (ie detect and cure = punish). but unless you win the battle and get players to understand the rules and play by them , you're always on a losing streak.

Compare with this - from this summer.
    I was quite disappointed when, just after being assessed for L1 (and passed) , a NPUA umpire ( I recognised him from certain National League matches I'd watched) came to tell me at the end of a match that I ought to allow more of the tackles (from his team) which took the stick first! He was coaching the very capable development side - unfortunately my partner and I both thought his side were cheating with persistent deliberate offences, including use of the foot, hitting hard into the back of opponents stick and use of the back of the stick. I believe 'win at all costs'. As I thought I recognised him,. I didn't dare challenge his opinion - but I will ignore him. Is this the product of NPUA?

10. redumpire

FHF Moderator

No, definitely not. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Further to something that Keely said a couple of days ago, even if this person *is* an NPUA member and s/he *was* coaching illicit methods please don't tar us all with the same brush. I notice that you're a member of Oxford Hawks. How would you react if I said that I'd seen one Oxford Hawks player cheating so it was safe to assume that Hawks encouraged all their players to cheat? It's a crazy assumption, isn't it?

11. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

Red - and everyone else
    I withdraw the comment reflecting on the NPUA. I wrote that post too quickly and apologise - it was not my intention to impune the whole of the NPUA.

The fact remains that that person should surely know better, especially as a member of that elite group.

The person was not a player - he was coaching (loudly), and in an influential position. He's influencing a development side (ie lot of juniors), as well as new umpires. The combination of the play on the pitch and the statements after the match, made in front of a number of witnesses (some of whom knew him), seems pretty questionable.

The rub is - you want to raise the quality of the game within the rules, educating the players on the rules seems to be pretty important. Otherwise the umpires are left to fix the consequences. Umpires should pass unnotiiced ?

12. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Could one raise an MMO in circumstances like this?
    (I am not necessarily suggesting that you should, just wondering if it covers such a case)

13. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Ballingdon - thank you. See your IMs.