Kookaburra range vs Gryphon Taboo CC?

Discussion in 'Which stick? (includes Stick Reviews)' started by Ethan491, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Ethan491

Ethan491 FHF Newbie

Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a new hockey stick and am unsure if i want to continue using a Gryphon.
    I've always thought kookaburra's weren't much good but I've never really used one myself.

Position played: Midfield, striker

Budget: >$450 NZ

Style of Play:
    Do you hit/slap or push more? Slap/Push
    Do you drag-flick and/or Aerial? Occasionally i'll throw an overhead but not often.
    Do you use a lot of close Stick skills? This is definitely something i want to improve on. I tend to use width to beat players.

Preferences:
    Stick Size: 36.5/37.5 Preferably 36.5 as that is what i am currently using.
    Bow: Mid-Low(210-250mm) /Mid(250mm) /Mid-High(250-300mm) preferably without a large groove
    Head shape: Unsure on my preferred head shape. I think i'm using the gryphon oversized maxi currently.
    Stiffness: Stiff
    Balance point: Low/High (unsure)

Current Stick: Gryphon taboo CC (2015)
    What do you like about it? Good Feel without vibration
    What don't you like about it? I find It a little clumsy with the larger head when trying to do close skills.

Have you tried any other sticks at a shop or borrowed from a team mate? Briefly tried a Kookaburra Xenon? I think.
    If yes, What did you like/dislike about it? i liked the power it brought to the table and the feel when doing simple drags. It was a little low balance for my liking
    If no, Could you get to a shop or borrow a team mates stick to try? I could try Kookaburra's range in the shop.

Any advice is good advice as far as i'm concerned. I think the Kookaburra range has potential for me but I don't want to spend $300-$400 on a stick that I might dislike.
    Any ideas on which stick i should be looking at for dribbling/ first touches?
    I have been considering the Kookaburra Midas (2016) for a time now but as i have said, I'm not sure if I'll like it.

Cheers, Ej

2. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Adidas DF24, Beikou Drag 90, This would be quite a list for all of them....
    Sadly the only way to know for sure that you like it is to try it. Maybe look at the kookaburra Team Phoenix if you can as well, if you are only able to test Kookaburra sticks

#2 BossFHockey, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  3. Ethan491

Ethan491 FHF Newbie

Yeah i thought as much. Thanks for the reply. Ill look into it ASAP and pick one out.

4. Craig Boyne

Craig Boyne FHF All Time Great

I'm speechless

5. Rajulicious852

Rajulicious852 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Mazon Slingshot XG, Mazon Hook LB
    Do something quick