Rules Changes Just a reminder...

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by redumpire, Jul 18, 2017.

1. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Yes. Or no. I got a bit lost there.

Summary: the app is the way forward for the 95% of us who use smart phones, particularly as it will no doubt be updated automatically as the rules change in future; but there are still rules books available for those who need them. Everyone's a winner!

2. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

Well its now on page 3 so getting close!!

Krebsy likes this.
  3. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Yes EH has Rule Books to order. No "no need" is not fair, as an elite response to a grass roots "will we...?" - titanium towers?
    Really? Tried it on the iPad, since there isn't a Blackberry version. First impressions: doesn't respond to turning sideways, so must view in the unfamiliar portrait position; text doesn't zoom, so can only see about a quarter of a printed page at once, hence 13.2f and its guidance is spread over 6 screens; (edit to add) videos sound corrupted or absent - bleaghh, bleaghh, bleaggh! I'll give it a chance and not delete it yet, but frankly I prefer to view the pdf in iBooks (whoops just noticed I don't actually have 2017 yet - right, fixed that!), or in fact simply pick up the nearest of the printouts I have lying around and in my bag.

App maybe ok for 95% of those who actually use phone smartness, but I believe your typical umpire wants it on paper, needs it on paper, will have it on paper, thank you very much.
    Luddites rule!

#43 Diligent, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

I agree with iBooks and PDF. Search is better. Type in knee and it highlights the word and takes you to it. The app just takes you to the nearest rule and leaves you to find it.

Player queries a rule pitch side at the end of a match quicker to search on iBooks than try and find the right rule in a book.

I haven't had a paper rule book since 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

That may explain many things! ;):p

careeman and Ravennghorde like this.
  6. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

My last words on this, I promise..
    I don't know what "titanium towers" means, but I suspect it's not meant politely, which is rather disappointing from a fellow mod. And, what's more, portraying all grassroots umpires as "Luddites" who only want paper copies and can't cope with smartphones is your doing not mine. I wouldn't dream of characterising a whole bunch of hard-working volunteers as old-fashioned and out-of-touch.
    Yes, really.
    It's produced in Apple & Android versions: the clear market leaders. I honestly don't know anyone who still uses a BlackBerry. It costs to produce multiple versions. Should we have a Filofax version too, just in case someone's hung on to theirs...?
    The unfamiliar, book-style portrait position, which is the same as the paper rule book, you mean?? When did you last see a book printed in landscape?
    13.2.f. fits on three (scrollable) screens on my iPhone 6.
    They're brief illustrative clips. Besides which they're an add-on to the book. You don't get anything like that with the paper version...
    Well, you now know where to get a paper copy.
    As I said before, I don't believe that.
    No, no they don't. I remember when we introduced pink umpiring shirts in the 90s and lots of my senior colleagues in NWHUA said that they would never wear pink as "it's a woman's colour". Change happens. Embrace it, otherwise you get left behind. The Luddites were phenomenally unsuccessful...

7. Krebsy

Get a room you two!

AJF and redumpire like this.
  8. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Me too.

AJF likes this.
  9. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

Do you write your posts out on parchment before typing them single finger style for the forum members to read @Diligent ?

Thought not. It's 2017 man get with the "smartness" as I think you called it.

10. Krebsy

Wow

Guys, seriously. This might be the Internet... but we surely are better than this.

11. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

Damn that predictive text smartness, all I typed was yes agree with you Red

12. MikeyBobs

MikeyBobs FHF Top Player

So I have a small box full of 2015 Rule books, left over from distributing to my HUA's membership .... I guess they have just lost their value or will in 9 days!

I for one am glad we're moving away from printed rulebooks - they were a pain to distribute to the membership and they were not cheap ..... welcome to the digital world!

(I also am not convinced all my colleagues read them!!) .....

13. MikeyBobs

MikeyBobs FHF Top Player

(Diligent has a copy of every book back to 1923 - just before he started umpiring!)

:cool:

Michael Byrne and Ravennghorde like this.
  14. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Not at all. My earliest rule book is 1968 (acquired recently off Amazon), from long before I attempted umpiring. First rule book I saw was 1986, some time after I attempted umpiring. It happens!

careeman likes this.
  15. MikeyBobs

MikeyBobs FHF Top Player

I rest my case m'lud...

Michael Byrne likes this.
  16. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Phone screen size may make a lot of difference here, I have a fairly old (well 3 years or so) Galaxy S6 and the rules load ok but it takes 6 scrolls down to see all of 13.2 due to the rule title taking up about 40% of the screen and 13.2f takes 4 1/2 full scrolls. Disappointingly it won't work on the Pixel tablet which is just running stock Android 7.1.2 - says it's designed for phones. I think the pdf version of the rules is thus a bit easier to use for the moment until they change the app to avoid this silly title bar issue. The search feature is good though.

p.s. Blackberry do still sell in small numbers (4th Q 2016 they sold 207,900) but they sell more Android OS phones now

Ravennghorde likes this.
  17. Rob S

Rob S FHF Top Player

Well I've got a new Blackberry smartphone and I've also down-loaded the very useful FIH Ap.

So you can stick with some old stuff AND embrace the new. Also got a hard copy of the 2017 rule book from HUA and I've printed a large version of them onto A4 for those of us with old eyes.

18. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Seriously no I don't expect anyone to do an app for my decade-old Blackberry. I have ordered a couple of Rule Books from EH, as it seems the HUA are not at all keen to supply to members. If others have no need, then fair enough.

19. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

And that really is my last word said @Diligent

20. Diligent

FHF Moderator

I was mistaken.